The Student Room Group

Liability

Can you please tell me more about the liability in regards to student loans, specifically if the person who studies does not work. Will it show up on the partners payslip and are they liable to repay the loan (as I understand the family household income will be taken into consideration)?

Who "owns" the student loan? Just the student or the couple (household income)? What happens after death of the student? Is the widow/er liable to repay the student loan?
Original post by Enzian13
Can you please tell me more about the liability in regards to student loans, specifically if the person who studies does not work. Will it show up on the partners payslip and are they liable to repay the loan (as I understand the family household income will be taken into consideration)?

Who "owns" the student loan? Just the student or the couple (household income)? What happens after death of the student? Is the widow/er liable to repay the student loan?

Your partner isn't liable for your student loan. You are.

If you die before the loan is paid off, it's written off.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Your partner isn't liable for your student loan. You are.

If you die before the loan is paid off, it's written off.

Thanks, Tiger Rag.

So if I don't work my partner does not have to repay the loan if our (his) income is above 21k?
Original post by Enzian13
Thanks, Tiger Rag.

So if I don't work my partner does not have to repay the loan if our (his) income is above 21k?

That's right, yes. It goes just on your income.
Hi Enzian13,

Thank you for your question.

I would also advise you to look at http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/ for more information on repayments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending