The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Piers Morgan asking whether he could identify as an elephant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Underscore__
But if you can say he can't identify as an elephant or a black woman because he is neither of those things I can just as easily say a man can't identify as a woman and vice versa. He's mocking them because what their talking about is nonsense. You're born with a penis or a vagina, that genitalia in no way dictates the way in which you have to act. You can be a man and like make up just as you can be a woman and like cage fighting. People should stop trying to create new labels for things and just live the way they want to live

Posted from TSR Mobile

So a man who likes make-up is... what? Not a man? Liking things that society expects your stereotype not to is not the same as feeling in any way less of that gender.

So let's go all logical then, if a touch of humanity is not your cup of tea. Do you agree with Piers? And, hence, do you agree that a man shouldn't be able to identify as a women?
Reply 21
But if you can say he can't identify as an elephant or a black woman because he is neither of those things I can just as easily say a man can't identify as a woman and vice versa. He's mocking them because what their talking about is nonsense. You're born with a penis or a vagina, that genitalia in no way dictates the way in which you have to act. You can be a man and like make up just as you can be a woman and like cage fighting. People should stop trying to create new labels for things and just live the way they want to live

Posted from TSR Mobile

It makes them feel more confident with themselves, less confused about who they are as an individual.

Sex is your male or female genitals, gender is a social construct there are many genders

Piers could identify as a woman if he wanted to but he doesn't! He is just using it as another excuse to single out already undermined members of society!!

Does it affect you? No. Does it affect anyone apart from the individuals? No. So you shouldn't have a problem with it
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by offhegoes
As someone has already said, taking an viewpoint (the need to recognise non-binary) to ridiculous extremes does not render the argument invalid. He therefore hasn't really addressed their argument in the first place, he's just attacked it and made a fallacy in his attempt to do so.

What we should be trying to do here is approach this with humanity, instead of trying to apply cold hard logic. Psychology never has been a science of absolutes, so why should it be here?

Let's suppose, in a society of only heterosexuals, someone identifies as homosexual. Pretty sure people will (and still do) challenge that, but eventually (hopefully) it is accepted. Plenty of people are, after all. Then other people identify as bisexual, asexual and so on. Then Piers Morgan comes out and attacks those terms by stating that he is sexually attracted to Tottenham replica shirts. Did he just win any sort of argument?

That's essentially what he is doing here, with the only difference perhaps being that because we see physical characteristics of a particular sex we struggle to recognise that gender is very much psychological too.

Well some people are attracted to inanimate objects.

He was highlighting the ridiculousness of their point. As I said above, there is no need to create special labels for people. You're male or female, beyond that do and act as you please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by offhegoes
So a man who likes make-up is... what? Not a man? Liking things that society expects your stereotype not to is not the same as feeling in any way less of that gender.

So let's go all logical then, if a touch of humanity is not your cup of tea. Do you agree with Piers? And, hence, do you agree that a man shouldn't be able to identify as a women?

If a man likes make up he's a man who likes make up. I suppose you could say I agree however I'd phrase it as 'a man doesn't need to identify as a woman' - he can still do 'womanly' things

Original post by E102
It makes them feel more confident with themselves, less confused about who they are as an individual.

Sex is your male or female genitals, gender is a social construct there are many genders

Piers could identify as a woman if he wanted to but he doesn't! He is just using it as another excuse to single out already undermined members of society!!

Does it affect you? No. Does it affect anyone apart from the individuals? No. So you shouldn't have a problem with it

It's a nonsense, your genitals don't enforce a particular set of interests and behaviours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Well some people are attracted to inanimate objects.

He was highlighting the ridiculousness of their point. As I said above, there is no need to create special labels for people. You're male or female, beyond that do and act as you please

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was only highlighting the ridiculousness of taking any argument to a ridiculous extreme.

Let's try it: If people shouldn't do things because some people think there's 'no need', then why did you post? There's no need, so you really shouldn't have.

Do I believe that? Of course not. People take the time to answer my second reply to you. :smile:

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 25

It's a nonsense, your genitals don't enforce a particular set of interests and behaviours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say that lmao I said you can only be a male or female sex, I didn't say anything about the behaviours it determines, behaviour is gender based, sex is biological

You seem to have a misunderstanding of the concept of gender and sex, maybe educate yourself and have a more concrete standpoint, you're all over the place contradicting yourself
Original post by E102
He's an *******

Original post by constantine2016
He is a ******.

Original post by fx991esplus
he's just a double-chinned arrogant prick that makes a living off making crude remarks for the sake of it as opposed to contributing to society. He's a waste of space, his american show flopped and now he's poisoning morning british television with his stupidity and bigotry.

Original post by unprinted
I don't know about an elephant, but he's certainly a mammoth turd.

All four of you are more right than the direction..
HE is indeed an ass on GMB, and doesn't shut his dartford tunnel when needed.
He shouldn't have been hired in 2015 at all i don't think.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11841653/Piers-Morgan-offered-permanent-Good-Morning-Britain-job.html
That should have never happened I think.
Don't be an ass to me based on my opinion...
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
All four of you are more right than the direction..
HE is indeed an ass on GMB, and doesn't shut his dartford tunnel when needed.
He shouldn't have been hired in 2015 at all i don't think.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11841653/Piers-Morgan-offered-permanent-Good-Morning-Britain-job.html
That should have never happened I think.
Don't be an ass to me based on my opinion...

The single most annoying thing I find about him is the way he interrupts and speaks over guests, without even bothering to listen to them. He shouldn't invite them on to the show if he doesn't care about what they have to say.
Original post by E102
He mocked them on television degraded them and made them feel singled out yet again, after everything they have campaigned for - piers cannot identify as an elephant and certainly not a black woman as guess what he isn't black for gods sake! He is taking the piss and it is horrible!

Why can't he identify as a elephant, then?

Imo this is the definition of first world problems in all its ridiculousness.
Original post by constantine2016
The single most annoying thing I find about him is the way he interrupts and speaks over guests, without even bothering to listen to them. He shouldn't invite them on to the show if he doesn't care about what they have to say.

He should be axed, full stop.
Also, you get Susanna trying to move the show forward and all she gets is his bellowing over the top, then her not getting heard.
And that one day where he left Susanna running the show alone, I think he was at fault..

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/785212/Susanna-Reid-Piers-Morgan-rude-birthday-card-Good-Morning-Britain-ITV
“I’m so glad Twitter reminded me it’s your birthday.” Just shows how much Susanna gives a toss about Piers' birthday tbh
Reply 30
Original post by DontSweatIt

Because he's taking the piss out of them and he is not even of that species

Imo it doesn't affect you, or me, so why should we have any problems with it?
Original post by E102

...it doesn't affect you, or me, so why should we have any problems with it?

But it does impact all of us if these people get their way.

Before we know it we will have forms and online drop-down boxes asking us to identify from hundreds of gender types.

Let's just stick to 2 or 3, it's much easier (and of course realistic) that way :borat:

Male, Female and Other :top:

None of this :elefant: nonsense!
Reply 33
Original post by Det.Hartigan
But it does impact all of us if these people get their way.

Before we know it we will have forms and online drop-down boxes asking us to identify from hundreds of gender types.

Let's just stick to 2 or 3, it's much easier (and of course realistic) that way :borat:

Male, Female and Other :top:

None of this :elefant: nonsense!

These people??????? Like they're some kind of different species????? Get their way???? Like they don't deserve basic human rights????? You're ridiculous

Oh wow you may have to scroll down a few more genders wow are you really that shallow
Reply 34

I'm not black so I don't really know, I guess gender and race are a different thing and if you are imitating someone that's different from actually being someone
Original post by E102
And that is why they feel the need to educate - because people like YOU are ignorant about it all. Disgusting.

I am not ignorant about things - and quite frankly your response shows how you re being swept along by this hysteria that we seem to be surrounded by.

If you look at the chromosomes of these people one will be male and one will be female. I accept that there are some people who are intersex - I have shared a flat with one such person. This is basic science.

There are people allover the world dying for lack of food, water, medicines; Trump is president, and there may be third world imminent - and you have these two banging on about their gender fluidity or some such nonsense - first world problems
Original post by E102
I'm not black so I don't really know, I guess gender and race are a different thing and if you are imitating someone that's different from actually being someone

Is a man identifying as a woman really a man, or a woman? Surely he is a man pretending to be a woman, just as the white woman was pretending to be a black?
Reply 37
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I am not ignorant about things - and quite frankly your response shows how you re being swept along by this hysteria that we seem to be surrounded by.

If you look at the chromosomes of these people one will be male and one will be female. I accept that there are some people who are intersex - I have shared a flat with one such person. This is basic science.

There are people allover the world dying for lack of food, water, medicines; Trump is president, and there may be third world imminent - and you have these two banging on about their gender fluidity or some such nonsense - first world problems

There is a difference between sex and gender

You cant compare some struggles to others, you can make a difference to these peoples lives by accepting them you cant make a difference about trump
Reply 38
Original post by Good bloke
Is a man identifying as a woman really a man, or a woman? Surely he is a man pretending to be a woman, just as the white woman was pretending to be a black?

Hes not pretending those, he genuinely believes and wants to be one, someone who identifies as a man but dresses like a woman is a completely different thing
Reply 39
Original post by DontSweatIt

"First world problem" generally refers to relatively trivial things that we sometimes blow out of proportion. I'm sure it's very easy for you to think about gender identity as trivial, but I think really that's just a kind of ignorance on your part.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending