The Student Room Group

Distillation question help ?

14951404138042093932620.jpg hi just wondering whether I have lost any mark on this question.
Attachment not found
I am not sure if I gain full marks on this, is there any safety hazards in my drawing as my still head is badly drawn...

Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
The only thing I can't quite see is whether there is a gap around the thermometer, or whether it looks as though it should be sealed.
Reply 2
Original post by Pigster
The only thing I can't quite see is whether there is a gap around the thermometer, or whether it looks as though it should be sealed.

te.png I left a gap I think, I just don't really understand why that matters-> is it because the molecules can escape if there is a gap. However I thought if you have a sealed system, it can cause an explosion due to the pressure building up?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by coconut64
te.png I left a gap I think, I just don't really understand why that matters-> is it because the molecules can escape if there is a gap. However I thought if you have a sealed system, it can cause an explosion due to the pressure building up?

Thanks

Unlike in reflux where the gases are immediately condensed and there is little risk of losing the gas, in distillation you must make sure to include a stopper to prevent loss of gas to the environment as the gases are not immediately condensed.
Reply 4
I left a gap I think, I just don't really understand why that matters-> is it because the molecules can escape if there is a gap. However I thought if you have a sealed system, it can cause an explosion due to the pressure building up?

You need any gases produced to go down the Liebig and get condensed.

You'll notice that it isn't sealed at the collection end.
Reply 5
Original post by Pigster
You need any gases produced to go down the Liebig and get condensed.

You'll notice that it isn't sealed at the collection end.

So I need this ( the brown thing) ? jhgj.gif Thanks
Reply 6
So I need this ( the brown thing)?

Essentially, you just need to show that there aren't any gaps.
Reply 7
Original post by Pigster
Essentially, you just need to show that there aren't any gaps.

Thanks, so for heating under reflux a sealed system is not required?
Reply 8
Thanks, so for heating under reflux a sealed system is not required?

You don't heat under reflux OR distillation in a closed system.

Quick Reply

Latest