The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Piers Morgan asking whether he could identify as an elephant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Det.Hartigan
But it does impact all of us if these people get their way.

Before we know it we will have forms and online drop-down boxes asking us to identify from hundreds of gender types.

Let's just stick to 2 or 3, it's much easier (and of course realistic) that way :borat:

Male, Female and Other :top:

None of this :elefant: nonsense!

I didn't have much of an issue with non-binary labels, but I've totally changed my mind now that you've raised the possibility of having too many options on a future drop-down box. Their struggle to understand their gender identity is not worth the perpetual struggles you've highlighted that we might have to contend with in the future.
Original post by E102
There is a difference between sex and gender

You cant compare some struggles to others, you can make a difference to these peoples lives by accepting them you cant make a difference about trump

No there is not - you are either male or female ( or the intersex which I concede exists) and within the male or female you have various shades from heterosexual through to camp as Christmas. And I am not saying I am not accepting them, I am saying that I am not going along with calling them it or them or whatever silly such nonsense that want to spurt out - because these are first world problems - these are not struggles!!!!
Original post by offhegoes
He was only highlighting the ridiculousness of taking any argument to a ridiculous extreme.

Let's try it: If people shouldn't do things because some people think there's 'no need', then why did you post? There's no need, so you really shouldn't have.

Do I believe that? Of course not. People take the time to answer my second reply to you. :smile:

You're right there is no need for me to post on here or do a lot of the things I do every day. The difference is 1. I can irrefutably explain why I do a lot of those things 2. I wouldn't get offended if someone said that they're ridiculous.

Original post by E102
I didn't say that lmao I said you can only be a male or female sex, I didn't say anything about the behaviours it determines, behaviour is gender based, sex is biological

You seem to have a misunderstanding of the concept of gender and sex, maybe educate yourself and have a more concrete standpoint, you're all over the place contradicting yourself

Where have I once contradicted myself? Please provide quotes of my contradictions.

My position has been consistent throughout; you are a man or a woman depending on whether you have a penis or a vagina. Neither one forces you to behave in a certain way or have particular interests
Original post by E102
Because he's taking the piss out of them and he is not even of that species

Imo it doesn't affect you, or me, so why should we have any problems with it?

question. you keep banging on about this particular point; but legitimate question:
1) who are you to decide that Piers can't pretend to be whoever he wants to be?
2) why do you give one set of standards, by accepting the manner in which the idiots conduct themselves i.e the idiots that genuinely want to be seen as under-valued members of society (2 bored individuals who most likely thought this was a better waste of their time) but when Piers says he's an 'elephant' you decide to turn up your nose at him?
3) is it not in the same manner that piers made up his gender as well?

stop being bigoted, disgusting and sexist (as you so virtuously claim towards others) and accept that Piers can in fact choose to be whoever he wants to be in the same manner that these time-wasters could. last time i checked, a white woman was parading as a black woman for the news, so if that could be 'allowed' by society and the fact that several people also claim to dogs (seriously. look it up. there are actual human beings who're so bored they've taken up to walking around thinking they're animals; 'dog-kin' or 'dragon-kin' or something. first world problems) then why couldn't piers morgan do so to prove a point? who died and made you spokesperson for you to decide if one's claims to mental issues is more genuine than that of another?
Reply 44
Original post by theDanIdentity
question. you keep banging on about this particular point; but legitimate question:
2) why do you give one set of standards, by accepting the manner in which the idiots conduct themselves i.e the idiots that genuinely want to be seen as under-valued members of society (2 bored individuals who most likely thought this was a better waste of their time) but when Piers says he's an 'elephant' you decide to turn up your nose at him?

stop being bigoted, disgusting and sexist (as you so virtuously claim towards others) and accept that Piers can in fact choose to be whoever he wants to be in the same manner that these time-wasters could. last time i checked, a white woman was parading as a black woman for the news, so if that could be 'allowed' by society and the fact that several people also claim to dogs (seriously. look it up. there are actual human beings who're so bored they've taken up to walking around thinking they're animals; 'dog-kin' or 'dragon-kin' or something. first world problems) then why couldn't piers morgan do so to prove a point? who died and made you spokesperson for you to decide if one's claims to mental issues is more genuine than that of another?

So you disagree with Morgan then.

His point was that people can't call themselves any variety of non-binary label because otherwise he could say that he identify as an elephant. His own 'argument' is based on the premise that he can't do that. Yet you seem to be countering Morgan's argument by saying that yes, of course he can call himself an elephant.
Reply 45
Original post by Underscore__
You're right there is no need for me to post on here or do a lot of the things I do every day. The difference is 1. I can irrefutably explain why I do a lot of those things 2. I wouldn't get offended if someone said that they're ridiculous.

So you contend your belief that you have a good reason to reply to posts about Good Morning is more weighty and valid that someone else's believe that their gender is non-binary?

That's really an issue of your own arrogance.

Quick question. Do you believe Morgan should be able to identify as an elephant?
Reply 46

Question: how am i being sexist and disgusting lmao?

1) piers is taking the piss, he doesn't genuinely want to be an elephant

2) see answer to 1)

3) see answer to 2)
The man has a point.
So you disagree with Morgan then.

His point was that people can't call themselves any variety of non-binary label because otherwise he could say that he identify as an elephant. His own 'argument' is based on the premise that he can't do that. Yet you seem to be countering Morgan's argument by saying that yes, of course he can call himself an elephant.

lol.. i actually don't disagree with morgan. i agree entirely with him and his views, to the point i actively follow him on twitter. i fully agree that these people claiming to be 'animals' are idiots; and as such piers is allowed to mock them how he wants by claiming to be whatever he wants to be (i.e an animal).

i was just playing devils' advocate and mocking the feminists/SJWs who claim that piers can't choose to be an elephant.
Original post by E102
Question: how am i being sexist and disgusting lmao?

1) piers is taking the piss, he doesn't genuinely want to be an elephant

2) see answer to 1)

3) see answer to 2)

1) brings me back to the first point i made. who are you to decide that piers can't be an 'elephant'? if you can allow those fools to claim to be whatever they want to be; why are you then jumping on piers' back and insulting him for claiming to be an elephant? i don't give a damn that YOU think he's taking the piss. he's claiming to be an elephant, no? then why are you attacking him? surely that goes against your 'tolerance for marginalised species?
Reply 50
1) brings me back to the first point i made. who are you to decide that piers can't be an 'elephant'? if you can allow those fools to claim to be whatever they want to be; why are you then jumping on piers' back and insulting him for claiming to be an elephant? i don't give a damn that YOU think he's taking the piss. he's claiming to be an elephant, no? then why are you attacking him? surely that goes against your 'tolerance for marginalised species?

You dont realise how stupid you sound it doesn't affect you so why should you care
Reply 51
Original post by E102
You dont realise how stupid you sound it doesn't affect you so why should you care

What if Piers does want to identify as an elephant!? You're so insensitive!!!!!!! Let the man BE WHO HE WANTS TO BE! :'(
So you contend your belief that you have a good reason to reply to posts about Good Morning is more weighty and valid that someone else's believe that their gender is non-binary?

That's really an issue of your own arrogance.

Quick question. Do you believe Morgan should be able to identify as an elephant?

Where have I said that? I said that my reasons for doing things can't be argued and i wouldn't care if what I do was ridiculed.

That's not really a quick question. He's entitled to think whatever he wants, that doesn't mean I have to respect his thoughts nor does it mean the law should grant him special privileges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by E102

'affect me'? the ****? how the hell does it affect YOU!?

when the hell did piers morgan mention YOUR name in his rant? when did piers morgan, single you out, a random poster on a website and decide that you would be the brunt for his attacks? you wouldn't have known until it was aired!
who the hell died and made an insignificant ignorant bigoted poster on TSR for that matter, a spokesperson for all under-mined species?

the nerve. i'm posting here and questioning your views on this matter and you're trying ad-hominem attacks against my person? could it be that maybe, just maybe, you don't actually have anything worth saying/debating against and thus you resort to personal attacks thinking that i'll just fall back like all your opponents?

"i don't realise how stupid i sound"? the hell!??? people are walking around in dog outfits, eating, thinking and acting like they are animals beneath them on the evolutionary train, whilst attacking others for calling them out to be mentally ill patients just escaped from the asylum. and you're telling me i'm the one that's 'stupid'?

people are buying chlothes and under-going surgery in order to become/look like an actual lizard then attacking governments for not recognising their idiotic ability to find more profound ways to act like an idiot in broad day-light and you're calling me 'stupid'?

i care, because last time i checked, i was amongst a HUMAN SPECIES! not one with several sexes, or one with several races, or several 'kins'. the hell has gotten into you people?

lool. you're funny.
Reply 54
'affect me'? the ****? how the hell does it affect YOU!?

when the hell did piers morgan mention YOUR name in his rant? when did piers morgan, single you out, a random poster on a website and decide that you would be the brunt for his attacks? you wouldn't have known until it was aired!
who the hell died and made an insignificant ignorant bigoted poster on TSR for that matter, a spokesperson for all under-mined species?

the nerve. i'm posting here and questioning your views on this matter and you're trying ad-hominem attacks against my person? could it be that maybe, just maybe, you don't actually have anything worth saying/debating against and thus you resort to personal attacks thinking that i'll just fall back like all your opponents?

"i don't realise how stupid i sound"? the hell!??? people are walking around in dog outfits, eating, thinking and acting like they are animals beneath them on the evolutionary train, whilst attacking others for calling them out to be mentally ill patients just escaped from the asylum. and you're telling me i'm the one that's 'stupid'?

people are buying chlothes and under-going surgery in order to become/look like an actual lizard then attacking governments for not recognising their idiotic ability to find more profound ways to act like an idiot in broad day-light and you're calling me 'stupid'?

i care, because last time i checked, i was amongst a HUMAN SPECIES! not one with several sexes, or one with several races, or several 'kins'. the hell has gotten into you people?

lool. you're funny.

It doesn't affect me that's why I'm defending them being mocked on television.. trying to be a different species is something different from trying to be a different gender
He's a loser that's trying to get attention because he knows how irrelevant he is now.
Original post by E102
He mocked them on television degraded them and made them feel singled out yet again, after everything they have campaigned for - piers cannot identify as an elephant and certainly not a black woman as guess what he isn't black for gods sake! He is taking the piss and it is horrible!

As much as he is joking, why couldn't he identify as an elephant if he wished to?
Original post by E102
It doesn't affect me that's why I'm defending them being mocked on television.. trying to be a different species is something different from trying to be a different gender

Why would "elephant" be an invalid gender identity?

Is there some sort of documentation that I should consult to ensure that my gender identity is accepted by the LGBT community?
Reply 58
lol.. i actually don't disagree with morgan. i agree entirely with him and his views, to the point i actively follow him on twitter. i fully agree that these people claiming to be 'animals' are idiots; and as such piers is allowed to mock them how he wants by claiming to be whatever he wants to be (i.e an animal).

i was just playing devils' advocate and mocking the feminists/SJWs who claim that piers can't choose to be an elephant.

So if Morgan shouldn't be able to call himself an elephant, since people who do such a thing are idiots, then people shouldn't be able to refer to themselves as non-binary? That essentially was Morgan's argument - disputing someone's argument by taking it to extremes. Does that mean then that someone calling themselves transgender is an idiot?
Reply 59
Original post by Underscore__
Where have I said that? I said that my reasons for doing things can't be argued and i wouldn't care if what I do was ridiculed.

That's not really a quick question. He's entitled to think whatever he wants, that doesn't mean I have to respect his thoughts nor does it mean the law should grant him special privileges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No-one is forcing you to respect the thoughts of non-binary people either, and what 'special privileges' exactly are they proposing to be given?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending