The Student Room Group

Sooo my old school just got invaded by gypsies

Not really sure what to think. Some of them are genuinely lovely people that just like the travelling lifestyle...

...not really sure setting up camp on a school field is the greatest idea during exams though. Even if the place is a garbage dump already.

How would you react if that happened to your school/old school?
No idea, but I have a game idea called Gypsy Invader.
Original post by XOR_
No idea, but I have a game idea called Gypsy Invader.

So, Space Invaders but shooting them with eviction notices instead of bullets?
Original post by SunlethSky

:rofl:
current school..go ahead...
Not really sure what to think. Some of them are genuinely lovely people that just like the travelling lifestyle...

...not really sure setting up camp on a school field is the greatest idea during exams though. Even if the place is a garbage dump already.

How would you react if that happened to your school/old school?

Roma or irish?
Original post by SerbiaStrong
Roma or irish?

Irish, I believe. More fuel for the racism fire in this town, yaaay.
Irish, I believe. More fuel for the racism fire in this town, yaaay.

Gypsy 'culture' just includes violence and thievery.

I remember someone at my brothers school got beaten up by some gypsies for walking across a golf course.
For those racist people out there, not you wonderful people on this chat lol. We are all human, we have no right on the distribution of land, we cannot charter nature, gypsies have as much right as we do to roam free on British soil. Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Gypsy and Irish travellers are two different sets of people. They aren't the same thing. Dispite what you see on channel 4 most Gypsy's live in houses.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gypies-and-irish-travellers-are-more-likely-to-live-in-a-house-than-a-caravan-data-shows-9075670.html

Gypsy 'culture' just includes violence and thievery.

I remember someone at my brothers school got beaten up by some gypsies for walking across a golf course.

*****y people are part of every culture.
Original post by SomeGuyHere
Gypsy and Irish travellers are two different sets of people. They aren't the same thing. Dispite what you see on channel 4 most Gypsy's live in houses.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gypies-and-irish-travellers-are-more-likely-to-live-in-a-house-than-a-caravan-data-shows-9075670.html

It's certainly more prominent in Gypsy (or traveller) culture. Whether it's nature or nurture I don't claim to know, but there's a reason for the stereotype.
It's certainly more prominent in Gypsy (or traveller) culture. Whether it's nature or nurture I don't claim to know, but there's a reason for the stereotype.

Well I do know. The stereotype is there mainly due to racism in the past. 'No blacks, no dogs,no Gypsies' was once a common sign and of course with racism comes such assumptions.

If you spent any time with a Gypsy you would quickly see the stereotype has about as much relevance today as "women are not capable of voting". It's nonsense left behind from past prejudices.
Original post by Ibrahim-Rana
For those racist people out there, not you wonderful people on this chat lol. We are all human, we have no right on the distribution of land, we cannot charter nature, gypsies have as much right as we do to roam free on British soil. Thank you

Wrong we do have a right on the distribution of land based on UK law which is backed by the UK people and its government.

They have a right to roam that is within the law i.e not on other peoples private property without permission.

If you dont respect UK law then go and live somewhere else.
Well I do know. The stereotype is there mainly due to racism in the past. 'No blacks, no dogs,no Gypsies' was once a common sign and of course with racism comes such assumptions.

If you spent any time with a Gypsy you would quickly see the stereotype has about as much relevance today as "women are not capable of voting". It's nonsense left behind from past prejudices.

So they dont leave behind litter, destruction and filth when they move on? Every gypsy incursion ive known of has resulted in that being left behind. Thats is why they are so unwanted.

That's true. My father is a landlord and he rented a property to a Romanian gypsy. I never knew her well because this was when I was young, but she left the house in a terrible mess. My friend was also a gypsy in primary school, he was awesome! And in my public park some gypsies came in caravans right at the entrance. I walked past them once and I loved how everyone there looked so close and happy. That is something that's really hard to find in our society
Original post by 999tigger
So they dont leave behind litter, destruction and filth when they move on? Every gypsy incursion ive known of has resulted in that being left behind. Thats is why they are so unwanted.

Most of those camps tend to be different groups of people - such as Irish travellers etc - that just get thrown into the same category by everyone. Cleaning up the camp sites is an issue but it's not why they are hated.

The permanent sites have issues with racist attacks and continued closers of them mean less places for these communities to actually go. The issue of immigration comes into play as well. Gypsy groups from eastern Europe get abuse much more then the English gypsy communities for example.

I wish it was as simple as people not liking the mess a camp site can make because cleaning it up is fairly easy for everyone involved. Sadly there is a wider issue.
Most of those camps tend to be different groups of people - such as Irish travellers etc - that just get thrown into the same category by everyone. Cleaning up the camp sites is an issue but it's not why they are hated.

The permanent sites have issues with racist attacks and continued closers of them mean less places for these communities to actually go. The issue of immigration comes into play as well. Gypsy groups from eastern Europe get abuse much more then the English gypsy communities for example.

I wish it was as simple as people not liking the mess a camp site can make because cleaning it up is fairly easy for everyone involved. Sadly there is a wider issue.

Whilst there might be wider issues they are unwelcome because they invade land that doesnt belong to them and bring all the other associated problems. If they didnt do this then a lot of their reputation wouldnt have built up. They continue to do it, so people continue to dislike them with good reason. The cleanups have to be paid by the locals and end up costing tens of thousands of £s.
Original post by 999tigger
Whilst there might be wider issues they are unwelcome because they invade land that doesnt belong to them and bring all the other associated problems. If they didnt do this then a lot of their reputation wouldnt have built up. They continue to do it, so people continue to dislike them with good reason. The cleanups have to be paid by the locals and end up costing tens of thousands of £s.

I'm sorry but that's simply not true at all. Otherwise the solutions that have been trying to get through, permanent sites, often paid for by the travellers themselves, wouldn't have this level of opposition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/content/articles/2008/05/01/south_west_gypsies_s13_w10_feature.shtml

Not sure where you live but it doesn't reflect the wider UK.

Rubber bullets...

Quick Reply

Latest