The Student Room Group

Student Finance won't pay my tuition?

So when I was eighteen I went to university but due to issues in my personal life I ended up failing and having to re take the first year which I did. However these personal issues carried on into this second year and I ended up dropping out in February of that year. Student Finance paid for both of these university years.

Five years on I am starting university again and have been offered an unconditional place at a different university studying a different course. However, once I applied for student finance they sent me a letter saying I had been approved but the letter said they wouldn't pay anything to my university but they would offer me a maintenance loan of £3,900. I thought I must have made a mistake in my application so cancelled this one and started fresh. Today I've received a letter saying they won't pay my university anything nor would they give me a maintenance loan.

Do I have any options here? What do I do?
you have had three years funding all realy, at best you could hope for 1 year ....
Reply 2
Original post by zippyRN
you have had three years funding all realy, at best you could hope for 1 year ....

I've only had two. The original year where I failed and then the re take where I dropped out.
the rules around tuition fees are the length of your initial course of study 1 year. The only way you could have that extended is if you submit a case for compelling personal reasons along with evidence clearly demonstrating that you dropped out due to reasons beyond your control e.g illness etc.
Original post by Doomsday Bunny
the rules around tuition fees are the length of your initial course of study 1 year. The only way you could have that extended is if you submit a case for compelling personal reasons along with evidence clearly demonstrating that you dropped out due to reasons beyond your control e.g illness etc.

A word about this - do foundation years count? So, if my course is 4 years, would I be entitled to 4+1?
Original post by SunlethSky
A word about this - do foundation years count? So, if my course is 4 years, would I be entitled to 4+1?

As far as I am aware yes, however its worth noting that I do not work for student finace. Im just some randomer on the interent.
Original post by Doomsday Bunny
As far as I am aware yes, however its worth noting that I do not work for student finace. Im just some randomer on the interent.

A helpful randomer, at that! Thanks ^^
Original post by tomjen1993
I've only had two. The original year where I failed and then the re take where I dropped out.

You have had three according to you.

Year 1 fail
Year 1 resit
Year 2 fail.

That puts you at degree -2.

They only start paying fees from the final year forwards.
In that case you would be expected to pay for years 1 and 2 fees.
Original post by SunlethSky

They count but they can be awkward. The most efficient way is to do a degree course with a combined foundation rather than an individual foundation and then a degree course.
Original post by 999tigger

Year 1 fail
Year 1 resit
Year 2 fail.

that was my reading of the situation as well

that the OP has had 3 of the standard 4 years of funding
Original post by 999tigger

Year 1 fail
Year 1 resit
Year 2 fail.

It's only 2 years, Op dropped out on his resit year not the actual second year of the degree
Original post by Kravence
It's only 2 years, Op dropped out on his resit year not the actual second year of the degree

Its ambiguous the OP could clarify, but they never bothered to take ownership of the thread. I took it as three as described above with the second year he mentioned being the second year of the degree and different from his first year and first year resit. I suppose it depends what he meant by this.

If it is only 2 years then its degree -1 and the same as ive written above.
Original post by zippyRN
that was my reading of the situation as well

that the OP has had 3 of the standard 4 years of funding

Not to ignore you but I read as three as well. but there is ambiguity and t could be two. OP never bothered with the thread so no point carrying on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending