The Student Room Group

Oxford skype interview - what to expect?!

Hi!

I have an interview next week for an MSc in Child development & education.

Does anyone have experience with skype interviews at Oxford? How did it go? What were the type of questions they asked?

Grateful for any insight! Thanks! :smile:
I've never done it obviously but interview wise, stay calm, deep breaths, try to reduce hand gestures, make eye contact and most importantly listen to the question being asked and give yourself 10 seconds to process it before you answer slowly and don't rush yourself!

Good luck!!!
Reply 2
The fact that they are ready to interview over Skype means that they're interested.
Reply 3
Original post by ExoIceCream99
I've never done it obviously but interview wise, stay calm, deep breaths, try to reduce hand gestures, make eye contact and most importantly listen to the question being asked and give yourself 10 seconds to process it before you answer slowly and don't rush yourself!

Good luck!!!

Reduce hand gestures is something I'll have to work on haha! And also I will keep in mind to pause after the question as I might rush it due to nerves. Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Fadel
The fact that they are ready to interview over Skype means that they're interested.

Yeah but I think they interview a lot of people, and then offers are given to 10-11 people. So fingers crossed!
Reply 5
Original post by igcsecrazy
Yeah but I think they interview a lot of people, and then offers are given to 10-11 people. So fingers crossed!

Not over skype doe.
Hi!

I have an interview next week for an MSc in Child development & education.

Does anyone have experience with skype interviews at Oxford? How did it go? What were the type of questions they asked?

Grateful for any insight! Thanks! :smile:

I had a Skype interview for English, and while I can't actually advise you on the content of the interview, just be prepared to answer difficult & challenging questions-- the interviewer will seek to push you into a corner and see how you respond, so just try to keep in mind that it's not the answer you give that's important, but how you work through the question!

Other standard things apply-- do it in a well lighted place, prop your computer up on books so the camera is at eye level, and dress formally, as if you were really attending an interview in person! A little makeup (blush, lipstick) wouldn't go amiss either, as the Skype camera quality is rather unforgiving!

Hope your interview goes well, and good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by tchaikovskyed
I had a Skype interview for English, and while I can't actually advise you on the content of the interview, just be prepared to answer difficult & challenging questions-- the interviewer will seek to push you into a corner and see how you respond, so just try to keep in mind that it's not the answer you give that's important, but how you work through the question!

Other standard things apply-- do it in a well lighted place, prop your computer up on books so the camera is at eye level, and dress formally, as if you were really attending an interview in person! A little makeup (blush, lipstick) wouldn't go amiss either, as the Skype camera quality is rather unforgiving!

Hope your interview goes well, and good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice!! I really appreciate it! Was it for undergrad English or masters that you had a Skype interview for? I feel like at postgrad level (what I'm applying to) they might ask more research based and technical questions. Although it is a taught masters, not an MPhil or PhD so perhaps they will ask such questions that will make me think outside the box and whatnot :smile:
Thanks for the advice!! I really appreciate it! Was it for undergrad English or masters that you had a Skype interview for? I feel like at postgrad level (what I'm applying to) they might ask more research based and technical questions. Although it is a taught masters, not an MPhil or PhD so perhaps they will ask such questions that will make me think outside the box and whatnot :smile:

I had an undergrad interview! No idea what postgraduate interviews might be like, but I'm sure you know your course best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Had an Skype interview for MSc in Computer Science, did not do that well in the interview but got an offer:
First question was about general motivation for the course. Check the module structure the MSc has and be prepared to answer which modules you want to take (CompSci is pretty free in that regard, not sure about yours though).
Second question was about my BSc thesis
Third question was about my worst examination and why it was that way. Wasn't really prepared for that question and mumbled a bit about bad preparation. Maybe should have mentioned that it was my first uni exam and I was just nervous as Mr Bean on drugs.
Next two questions were directly related to some exercise sheet I had to answer one week after the application. So if you got that, review it and dig a bit into the backgrounds relating to the questions.
Reply 11
I don't think reducing hand gestures is actually positive. In my opinion, leaders are the ones who make use of their hands more than others. If I were you, I'd work on non-verbal communication and body language. You need to look confident and in charge. I'd have a couple jokes handy if needed be - after all, those at Oxford are as human as you and I. The use of hands is also really important in my opinion because it shows you're active about the situation. Something as subtle as opening your palms could make a slight difference... The opening of a palm shoes that you're not a threat which may not necessarily be what Oxford are looking for. They want leaders. Be confident and look ready. Goodluck!
Original post by ksjogo
Had an Skype interview for MSc in Computer Science, did not do that well in the interview but got an offer:
First question was about general motivation for the course. Check the module structure the MSc has and be prepared to answer which modules you want to take (CompSci is pretty free in that regard, not sure about yours though).
Second question was about my BSc thesis
Third question was about my worst examination and why it was that way. Wasn't really prepared for that question and mumbled a bit about bad preparation. Maybe should have mentioned that it was my first uni exam and I was just nervous as Mr Bean on drugs.
Next two questions were directly related to some exercise sheet I had to answer one week after the application. So if you got that, review it and dig a bit into the backgrounds relating to the questions.

That's really insightful, thank you!! The question about worst exam would've caught me off guard too! I think it'll be good to review my dissertation and fully understand the findings from it again as it's been a year since I wrote it so I don't remember all the details. Nope, I didn't have any exercise sheets to do, luckily :smile: thank you once again!
Original post by erxci
I don't think reducing hand gestures is actually positive. In my opinion, leaders are the ones who make use of their hands more than others. If I were you, I'd work on non-verbal communication and body language. You need to look confident and in charge. I'd have a couple jokes handy if needed be - after all, those at Oxford are as human as you and I. The use of hands is also really important in my opinion because it shows you're active about the situation. Something as subtle as opening your palms could make a slight difference... The opening of a palm shoes that you're not a threat which may not necessarily be what Oxford are looking for. They want leaders. Be confident and look ready. Goodluck!

Yeah I agree, a bit of hand gestures is a good thing :smile: I'll have to repaint my nails though as they are hideous at the moment hahah! Thank you so much!
Hey! That's a lot of helpful tips. I'm also going to have an English interview (hopefully). Can you please tell what sort of questions you were asked and how you answered them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending