The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Advice concerning Exam

Hi guys,

I'm a second year at UKC and I'm in a bit of a tough situation with my course. I failed a module last year, and I tried it again in August 2016 but failed again. It's a pretty difficult exam for me, as it's Latin. I shouldn't have picked it in the first place, but **** happens eh.

My problem is that I had a few options, I could either pay for a whole new module or pay for the same module with teaching. I also had the option of completely retaking my first year. Out of my options, I foolishly choose to resit the exam this academic year without teaching, as I didn't have the money spare to pay for a whole 30 credit module.

My problem is that I've been suffering from depression on and off for over a year and a half, and at the time of the previous essays I couldn't go to my doctor as I wasn't suffering from it then, but it has caused my attendance this year, and in my second term of the first year to go down pretty badly. I am 100% that I am going to fail this exam, I have a week to continue revising, and I am trying my utmost to do my best, and to at least get a better mark than before which may show the Board of Examiners that I've tried my best, and without teaching I've managed to do better. However, if I fail then I fail the entire course and I cannot progress to my third year. I wasn't told by my student adviser that you only get three attempts to gain the credits, as I had previously told them if I fail Latin this year then I will pay for another module... and they never said no, you can't do that. Had I known, I would have just started my first year from scratch which would have been the better option now that I look back at it.

I have gone to my doctor, and they are writing me a concession medical letter, which will be used as evidence in my concession form which I've just completed today. I had a meeting with someone in my department, and they said that the concession will probably not be successful, as she seems to think my evidence will be false, or not 'good' enough which is complete bull. I could have informed the university, and gone to my doctor sooner to discuss this problem, but I'm not the type of person to go to others for help. I deal with my problems myself, as I have always done. This is entirely my problem because I haven't gone to them sooner, but I've had essay and essay this year and i've only just finished a 5k research project. So battling between depression and a lot of essays I've done my very best to achieve what I have.

In the event that my concession fails, my only other option is to appeal to the exam board when I get my results. But that probably won't work either. My main problem is if I fail, I cannot start fresh again, as my SFE only covers four years, and I've used two already. And with my accommodation for the next academic year, my contract states that I will pay regardless if I'm not at university or not. So will SFE still help me to pay for that? I cannot afford £5k of my back, and I'm not about to go get a loan to cover it because I'll be screwed even more.

Any advice would be helpful guys, I know this is a long topic, but I'm really stuck with what I can do.
Reply 1
Original post by Muzzyman
Hi guys,

I'm a second year at UKC and I'm in a bit of a tough situation with my course. I failed a module last year, and I tried it again in August 2016 but failed again. It's a pretty difficult exam for me, as it's Latin. I shouldn't have picked it in the first place, but **** happens eh.

My problem is that I had a few options, I could either pay for a whole new module or pay for the same module with teaching. I also had the option of completely retaking my first year. Out of my options, I foolishly choose to resit the exam this academic year without teaching, as I didn't have the money spare to pay for a whole 30 credit module.

My problem is that I've been suffering from depression on and off for over a year and a half, and at the time of the previous essays I couldn't go to my doctor as I wasn't suffering from it then, but it has caused my attendance this year, and in my second term of the first year to go down pretty badly. I am 100% that I am going to fail this exam, I have a week to continue revising, and I am trying my utmost to do my best, and to at least get a better mark than before which may show the Board of Examiners that I've tried my best, and without teaching I've managed to do better. However, if I fail then I fail the entire course and I cannot progress to my third year. I wasn't told by my student adviser that you only get three attempts to gain the credits, as I had previously told them if I fail Latin this year then I will pay for another module... and they never said no, you can't do that. Had I known, I would have just started my first year from scratch which would have been the better option now that I look back at it.

I have gone to my doctor, and they are writing me a concession medical letter, which will be used as evidence in my concession form which I've just completed today. I had a meeting with someone in my department, and they said that the concession will probably not be successful, as she seems to think my evidence will be false, or not 'good' enough which is complete bull. I could have informed the university, and gone to my doctor sooner to discuss this problem, but I'm not the type of person to go to others for help. I deal with my problems myself, as I have always done. This is entirely my problem because I haven't gone to them sooner, but I've had essay and essay this year and i've only just finished a 5k research project. So battling between depression and a lot of essays I've done my very best to achieve what I have.

In the event that my concession fails, my only other option is to appeal to the exam board when I get my results. But that probably won't work either. My main problem is if I fail, I cannot start fresh again, as my SFE only covers four years, and I've used two already. And with my accommodation for the next academic year, my contract states that I will pay regardless if I'm not at university or not. So will SFE still help me to pay for that? I cannot afford £5k of my back, and I'm not about to go get a loan to cover it because I'll be screwed even more.

Any advice would be helpful guys, I know this is a long topic, but I'm really stuck with what I can do.

Unfortunately, many students do attempt to falsely claim depression. So the fact that you've only just gone to the doctor does look suspicious. There's nothing you can do about that now, so try to stop worrying. Just use this as a learning point for the future so that something good can come of it.

You may be able to use your completed modules towards a new degree. This is most easily done with the Open University, but other unis will also accept credit transfer. This then means that you don't need to complete the bits you've already done, so it will sort out the finance problem for you.

SFE are not going to pay you any money towards next year (unless you are at a uni). So you'll either have to get a job to pay for the accommodation, or find a replacement tenant. But it's early enough that you should be able to find a replacement tenant - loads of people won't have next year accommodation sorted. There's even a forum on tsr where yoou can advertise it.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Unfortunately, many students do attempt to falsely claim depression. So the fact that you've only just gone to the doctor does look suspicious. There's nothing you can do about that now, so try to stop worrying. Just use this as a learning point for the future so that something good can come of it.

You may be able to use your completed modules towards a new degree. This is most easily done with the Open University, but other unis will also accept credit transfer. This then means that you don't need to complete the bits you've already done, so it will sort out the finance problem for you.

SFE are not going to pay you any money towards next year (unless you are at a uni). So you'll either have to get a job to pay for the accommodation, or find a replacement tenant. But it's early enough that you should be able to find a replacement tenant - loads of people won't have next year accommodation sorted. There's even a forum on tsr where yoou can advertise it.

You are correct with the depression part, however, my doctor would not write me a concession letter unless they were certain that my claim is genuine. I left it so late because I have my own personal reasons but that's my fault.

With the completed modules I'm also not sure how they would be able to be transferred. From what you're saying I may be able to transfer my completed modules back into the same course but I start again. so in my first year, I only do one module? the second year I've passed everything, so I do nothing for that year? then the third year would be the year I do everything from scratch. When I spoke to the lady yesterday she gave me no other option. She said if I fail then that's it. there's nothing else I can do to continue or start again.

In regards to the final point, I wasn't sure what SFE would do but thanks for clarifying that. I've already had to pay my next years summer rent so I've already lost that as I cannot get it back even if I leave, which is quite a bummer. Worse case is I can attempt to find someone else. However I won't get my result for over a month, so that may be a bit late but i'll see what comes of it.

Thanks for the Reply though, helps a bit :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
You are correct with the depression part, however, my doctor would not write me a concession letter unless they were certain that my claim is genuine. I left it so late because I have my own personal reasons but that's my fault.

With the completed modules I'm also not sure how they would be able to be transferred. From what you're saying I may be able to transfer my completed modules back into the same course but I start again. so in my first year, I only do one module? the second year I've passed everything, so I do nothing for that year? then the third year would be the year I do everything from scratch. When I spoke to the lady yesterday she gave me no other option. She said if I fail then that's it. there's nothing else I can do to continue or start again.

In regards to the final point, I wasn't sure what SFE would do but thanks for clarifying that. I've already had to pay my next years summer rent so I've already lost that as I cannot get it back even if I leave, which is quite a bummer. Worse case is I can attempt to find someone else. However I won't get my result for over a month, so that may be a bit late but i'll see what comes of it.

Thanks for the Reply though, helps a bit :smile:

Did you have any contact with anyone in an official capacity about your depression? Your extenuating circumstances claim would be much stronger if you could provide more proof - have you mentioned it to a tutor, or contacted the uni counselling service etc?

The transferring modules depends where you want to transfer to. It can get quite complicated, as the work you have completed needs to be broadly similar to the work you would have completed if you'd started at the new uni. This is why the OU is easiest; they have an "Open degree" where you can take any modules from anywhere to create your degree. But all unis will be able to do some credit transfer.
This would be transferring to a different uni. You're very unlikely to be able to stay at the same one.

Some students won't realise they're going to the uni until A Level results day, which is in August. So you might be able to get a new tenant then - you just need to make sure you advertise it enough. You could also speak to your potential flatmates, as they may even agree to paying your share of the rent between them so that they don't have to have a stranger move in.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
Did you have any contact with anyone in an official capacity about your depression? Your extenuating circumstances claim would be much stronger if you could provide more proof - have you mentioned it to a tutor, or contacted the uni counselling service etc?

The transferring modules depends where you want to transfer to. It can get quite complicated, as the work you have completed needs to be broadly similar to the work you would have completed if you'd started at the new uni. This is why the OU is easiest; they have an "Open degree" where you can take any modules from anywhere to create your degree. But all unis will be able to do some credit transfer.
This would be transferring to a different uni. You're very unlikely to be able to stay at the same one.

Some students won't realise they're going to the uni until A Level results day, which is in August. So you might be able to get a new tenant then - you just need to make sure you advertise it enough. You could also speak to your potential flatmates, as they may even agree to paying your share of the rent between them so that they don't have to have a stranger move in.

Last year I explained to my student adviser that I was suffering from depression, but I told him this after I had my exam. And because of that, I was unable to provide proof at the time of the original exam. For my resit in August, I was also not suffering from depression at that time either, so there would be no way to gain proof for that. He also said it would have been difficult for me to do a concession based upon my world alone, so I didn't have the opportunity to do it then. In regards to this year, I've had two meetings with tutors in regards to my attendance. One in the first term, and the other in the second term. My attendance fell because I'm not going to include myself into a group of happy people discussing topics, it would have a negative impact on myself, as I have found out from previous experiences. so I seclude myself until I'm feeling better. But at both meetings I had told them my motivation was low, I've been depressed due to certain things, and I basically said I'm sorry for not attending. I've been given a number to call by my doctor, as she said it would be a good idea to speak to one of these councillors as they'll do a telephone call first for half an hour to assess some key elements of what may help me. I am going to do this shortly, but for now, i need to get as much revision done as I can. Apart from this, only close friends know I'm depressed. I haven't been to my Doctor in over seven years, and they know I dislike going in the first place. If I'm ill, I get over it and push on through it. The same as most things in my life. But depression is a bit hard to tackle without doing certain things, and when I try to make myself better I can't exactly do work properly.

Well i'm doing a history degree, and I believe there are quite a few other uni's in the UK doing the same module along the same lines. OU would be the better option, but do they still do a full time option? I don't want to spend six years doing a course that should be three years. As Ideally I want to move on and do my masters when i'm done.

You are right with the A-level students. I've told one of my housemates whose staying next year. I will probably be able to find someone, as this house is pretty cheap for what it is.
Reply 5
Last year I explained to my student adviser that I was suffering from depression, but I told him this after I had my exam. And because of that, I was unable to provide proof at the time of the original exam. For my resit in August, I was also not suffering from depression at that time either, so there would be no way to gain proof for that. He also said it would have been difficult for me to do a concession based upon my world alone, so I didn't have the opportunity to do it then. In regards to this year, I've had two meetings with tutors in regards to my attendance. One in the first term, and the other in the second term. My attendance fell because I'm not going to include myself into a group of happy people discussing topics, it would have a negative impact on myself, as I have found out from previous experiences. so I seclude myself until I'm feeling better. But at both meetings I had told them my motivation was low, I've been depressed due to certain things, and I basically said I'm sorry for not attending. I've been given a number to call by my doctor, as she said it would be a good idea to speak to one of these councillors as they'll do a telephone call first for half an hour to assess some key elements of what may help me. I am going to do this shortly, but for now, i need to get as much revision done as I can. Apart from this, only close friends know I'm depressed. I haven't been to my Doctor in over seven years, and they know I dislike going in the first place. If I'm ill, I get over it and push on through it. The same as most things in my life. But depression is a bit hard to tackle without doing certain things, and when I try to make myself better I can't exactly do work properly.

Well i'm doing a history degree, and I believe there are quite a few other uni's in the UK doing the same module along the same lines. OU would be the better option, but do they still do a full time option? I don't want to spend six years doing a course that should be three years. As Ideally I want to move on and do my masters when i'm done.

You are right with the A-level students. I've told one of my housemates whose staying next year. I will probably be able to find someone, as this house is pretty cheap for what it is.

I think your best option is to assume your extenuating circumstances claim won't be accepted, and do your best to pass the exam without it. Can you look at past papers to see which topics are most likely to come up and revise accordingly? Do you have any friends also doing the module who may be able to help you?

You can study with the OU full time, but you don't get the maintenance loan. This means you're likely to need to work alongside, and it can be hard to fit everything in.
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
I think your best option is to assume your extenuating circumstances claim won't be accepted, and do your best to pass the exam without it. Can you look at past papers to see which topics are most likely to come up and revise accordingly? Do you have any friends also doing the module who may be able to help you?

You can study with the OU full time, but you don't get the maintenance loan. This means you're likely to need to work alongside, and it can be hard to fit everything in.

I know the claim would probably have a low chance of being accepted. But either way, if I am for a higher mark than last year then at least the board can see I can achieve better even without any guided teaching. I'm also the only person resitting the module, everyone else who had failed restarted the first year, I was not told this until I had already started my second year if I knew beforehand I would have done the same as them. They took the better option lol.

I have an Italian friend who is pretty good at Latin, however, he is in the middle of his own exams so I cannot look to help from him. Past papers I have access to, I've also sent an email to the main lecturer for Latin to ask him what he would recommend revising the most, and for any brief overview of what may be in the exam, as last year our tutors gave us a good indication of what would be in it, but even with that I was still unfortunate. Latin isn't exactly the hardest thing out there, nowhere near as bad as the Sciences, but it's sheer volume of information you need to memorise. Virtually anything can come up in this exam. There are a lot of conjugation endings, declension endings and various other bits you need to know, and if you don't then it's game over. Last year I had two translations which I couldn't even attempt to do because I had no clue what any of the words meant. There are so many words, that trying to remember each word is just a pain in itself, and not to mention each of these words has multiple endings so it could be any number, case, or gender and you need to know that to be able to translate it. How they expect anyone to be able to remember any of this in one exam is beyond me. It should really be an exam with a set topic, like Cicero's translations, or Caesar for example. Because then at least the people doing it can go over those translations to help them.

What I am doing now is going over the core parts of the module to try to remember all of the things that I will require, but if I revise the wrong things, or I don't know something then even a 3 hour long exam won't help me to figure out what this word means. Some words are similar to their English counterparts. Like Fortuna, means fortune or luck. Puella, or Puellae, is girl, and that has no bearing to the word girl what so ever, but eh. War, is Bellum, or Ballae for feminine, but just the sheer volume of information you need to know is what screwed me over last time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending