The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths FP1 UNOFFICIAL Mark Scheme 19th May 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k.russell
tbh I doubt you'll lose more than 1 mark even if they do take marks off for that, it's a valid answer and the question only asked you to find the value of k

I think it would be very harsh to lose marks as they would be marking negatively, something they claim they dont do- all i did was essentially expanded the formula and used a different less efficient route but got there in the end- the risk to my timing should be the only qualm they could have with it.
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
I think it would be very harsh to lose marks as they would be marking negatively, something they claim they dont do- all i did was essentially expanded the formula and used a different less efficient route but got there in the end- the risk to my timing should be the only qualm they could have with it.

I misread the question, so saw it as the sum + k(2^r - 1), hence got k(sum(2^r - 1) = 910. Then calculated sum(2^r -1) as 8178 (using a geometric series) then got k = 910/8178. How many marks do you think this will be?
Original post by diogenesax
I misread the question, so saw it as the sum + k(2^r - 1), hence got k(sum(2^r - 1) = 910. Then calculated sum(2^r -1) as 8178 (using a geometric series) then got k = 910/8178. How many marks do you think this will be?

Im not sure the question was out of 4 maybe 2
Im not sure the question was out of 4 maybe 2

yeah i thought 2, one for obtaining 910 and then another for using geometric series or diving 910 by whatever value. Think i lost 2 there, then also lost 2 more on 3c by obtaining x = 4root2 and y = 2root2 and not considering the minus solution. Hopefully 71 should be enough to get 90 ums
Original post by 04MR17
That's ok. Lesson for all maths exams: do all the papers, mark them all yourself.
I will calculate approximates over the weekend.
I'll do what I can but be wary that if I go too detailed that's against TSR rules. I can only speculate what might be how it is awarded.
Is that what happened earlier because I created this thread and then I found someone else as the OP?

That's perfect thank you!
I'm estimating that I'm around 60% but I'd definitely like to have more detail to base it off of! That way I can estimate what I need in my other modules to still get an A ahaha
Reply 245
Original post by Mario Manalu
If I did not get number 7 and number 6 totally right, would it be A still? I am sure I got the other right.

Assuming you did manage to get part a of both 6 and 7 (show the equation), you'd lose at most 11 marks. So yeah, most likely an A
FP1 was a very fair paper bordering on the easy side, however quite worrying as it is foreshadowing harder further maths exams ahead.
Best to do more past papers now.
Reply 247
Aced the paper and found it so easy, reading back I've just realised I missed the "squared" on the area of the triangle... there goes 100 UMS :s-smilie:
Relatively easy paper but I forgot to write 4rt5 Nd left it as rt80
Probably got like 73-75 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 99ah12
Aced the paper and found it so easy, reading back I've just realised I missed the "squared" on the area of the triangle... there goes 100 UMS :s-smilie:

Is 100ums usually 75/75

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Is 100ums usually 75/75

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year was 74
Reply 251
is there one for the ial paper?
Sum of 2 to the r minus 1 is not explicitly in fp1 syllabus so they cant penalise you for not knowing, i dont think youd lose marks as theyre assuming people remember their c2, fp1 is not designed as a synoptic module. Unless that formula is in the data booklet, is it?
It actually is:
fp1 prerequisites.PNG
[http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf p.45]
C2's content can be tested in FP1.

However, because the question didn't say "Using the geometric series formula..." or specify how you had to find k, I think it would be extremely unfair to penalise anyone who got the answer by any valid method (including by calculating 2^0 + 2^1 + 2^2 + ... + 2^10 by hand).
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
It actually is:
fp1 prerequisites.PNG
[http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf p.45]
C2's content can be tested in FP1.

However, because the question didn't say "Using the geometric series formula..." or specify how you had to find k, I think it would be extremely unfair to penalise anyone who got the answer by any valid method (including by calculating 2^0 + 2^1 + 2^2 + ... + 2^10 by hand).

Well crap, and edexcel have been known to be tw**s so i wouldnt be surprised if they penalised for that
you're still answering the question by doing it the long way, so it should be ok. you're lucky they didn't make n=100 :biggrin:
I found the examiner report from that year and it says people who did it manually were succesful- 2014 IAL F1 question 5 sum of 2 to r
"Question 5
The majority of candidates knew the approach to take in part (a) and took out common factors as early as possible. This approach should be encouraged if it is appropriate to the question. Some candidates multiplied out fully and then factorised the resulting cubic expression. Usually sufficient work was shown but candidates should be encouraged to show all the steps in their working in ‘show that’ questions. Part (b) was not done well in many cases. The common errors included a failure to sum the power terms. The answers ranged from 2 to 212. A number of candidates actually wrote down all the terms of the geometric progression and added them. This was usually successful. Errors often occurred in using the sum from part (a) due to slips in substitution or arithmetic. Question 6 Part (i)(a) was very well done with"
This is paper http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/FP1/Papers-Edexcel/January%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20F1%20Edexcel.pdf

What do you guys think in light of this?
Original post by TheFirstOrder
you're still answering the question by doing it the long way, so it should be ok. you're lucky they didn't make n=100 :biggrin:

even if they did, so easy
Am i the only one who forgot the sum for 2 to the power of r-1 from c2 so manually wrote out all 12 terms :clap2:such mathematical elegance

ngl I did do that to check :tongue:

you could also have remembered that 1 + 2 + .. + 2^n = 2^(n+1) -1
Has anyone made any grade boundary predictions yet?
Reply 259
Stop fighting over ****ing maths lmao.
Will adding the terms manually, rather than using the C2 formula give you all 4 marks? yes or no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending