The Student Room Group

Best uni for Drama/Theatre with Creative Writing??? (or English)

Hey guys!

I'm currently an AS student weighing up my options for university, as I hope to begin visiting them this summer.

I have been scouring the Guardian Rankings table in the 'Drama & Dance' division in the hopes of finding universities that offer joint honours in Drama/Theatre with the minor of Creative Writing. However, it appears that this course offering is few and far between among many unis across the country. I think I would consider doing Drama/Theatre with English Literature if push comes to shove, but the dual degree with Creative Writing is what I'm really setting my sights on.

The unis that I've seen who offer this course, and that I'm interested in are; Brunel University (London), University of Surrey (Guildford), Liverpool John Moores (Liverpool) and Canterbury Christ Church (Canterbury) - and so those are the one's that have immediately grabbed me. know that Lancaster University also offer the degree, and I know they're a highly respected uni, but the AAB-ABB entry requirement seems somewhat unrealistic to me.

So, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about these universities and the course - and if anyone knows of any other unis that offer the course I would love your input.

Thank you!
Original post by jamesssgreaves
Hey guys!

I'm currently an AS student weighing up my options for university, as I hope to begin visiting them this summer.

I have been scouring the Guardian Rankings table in the 'Drama & Dance' division in the hopes of finding universities that offer joint honours in Drama/Theatre with the minor of Creative Writing. However, it appears that this course offering is few and far between among many unis across the country. I think I would consider doing Drama/Theatre with English Literature if push comes to shove, but the dual degree with Creative Writing is what I'm really setting my sights on.

The unis that I've seen who offer this course, and that I'm interested in are; Brunel University (London), University of Surrey (Guildford), Liverpool John Moores (Liverpool) and Canterbury Christ Church (Canterbury) - and so those are the one's that have immediately grabbed me. know that Lancaster University also offer the degree, and I know they're a highly respected uni, but the AAB-ABB entry requirement seems somewhat unrealistic to me.

So, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about these universities and the course - and if anyone knows of any other unis that offer the course I would love your input.

Thank you!

I don't know a lot about those courses but my uni (Edge hill) does a joint degree in Drama and Creative Writing =) I could tell you about that course =P
Reply 2
Hey,

I've just finished my second year at John Moores studying creative writing, I studied joint honours drama and creative writing in first year before dropping to single honours. I'd be happy to answer any of your questions!

Hey guys!

Thank you!
Hey guys!

Thank you!

Hey @jamesssgreaves,

I actually studied Theatre at the Uni of Surrey from 2012-2015, and even in the 'pure' Theatre Studies programme (now called Theatre & Performance) , we were still able to do a creative writing module each semester in second and final year. The creative writing modules were my absolute favourite - I found the lecturers to be really engaging and more than willing to help. I had Holly Luhning in second year and then had Stephen Mooney and Paul Vlitos in final year. All were fantastic, but I especially enjoyed Paul's module as he was really funny. All three offered plenty of useful feedback throughout the term.

I particularly enjoyed the methods of feedback we received. With all three lecturers, we were asked to present a short piece of work that we were working on (approximately 500-800 words). Copies of the piece would be printed out and handed to each member of our seminar group, who would read it and offer constructive criticism along with the lecturer. It was brilliant to get a number of different viewpoints from members of the group as well as hearing the lecturer's feedback on the piece, and I found it really helped improve my writing. Two students would receive feedback each week througout the term. This was also useful as it exposed me to a wide variety of styles and genres, as well as exploring different mediums such as poetry, prose, screenplay etc.

That's just a short overview of the creative writing aspect of the programme. If you have any questions or would like to speak in more detail about either creative writing or theatre, please feel free to give me a DM, I'm happy to share my experiences :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest