The Student Room Group

Can I resit AS exams along with A2?

If yes then when will I have to apply for uni?
I still don't understand how this system works.
Original post by Elena 365
If yes then when will I have to apply for uni?
I still don't understand how this system works.

For old spec alevels you can, on new spec a levels you can't as your AS grade doesn't really count. Uni applications are done in 2 stages early applicants (oxbridge, med etc) and the rest of the applicants apply later. Resitting the year will mean you can't apply for uni, but resitting exams is totally fine, most universities allow resits.
Reply 2
Original post by techcloud14
For old spec alevels you can, on new spec a levels you can't as your AS grade doesn't really count. Uni applications are done in 2 stages early applicants (oxbridge, med etc) and the rest of the applicants apply later. Resitting the year will mean you can't apply for uni, but resitting exams is totally fine, most universities allow resits.

I still don't understand.Ok all my courses are the new spec. For example if I wanted to resit all my AS levels again next year will I have to stay another whole year in college and apply for uni in year 14
Original post by Elena 365
I still don't understand.Ok all my courses are the new spec. For example if I wanted to resit all my AS levels again next year will I have to stay another whole year in college and apply for uni in year 14

No you wouldn't need to do the year again. The grades you attain this year do not count towards your final grade, keep in mind that they very important as university predicted grades largely rely on the outcome of your exam results this year even if they don't count. In terms of doing exams again you will effectively do your exams again next year in synoptic papers where all of year 1 and year 2 content is combined across 1 or more papers.

If you do the year again then you have to apply in year "14"
No you wouldn't need to do the year again. The grades you attain this year do not count towards your final grade, keep in mind that they very important as university predicted grades largely rely on the outcome of your exam results this year even if they don't count. In terms of doing exams again you will effectively do your exams again next year in synoptic papers where all of year 1 and year 2 content is combined across 1 or more papers.

If you do the year again then you have to apply in year "14"

if you do bad at as but your final grades are good, what about reapplying
Original post by galingo
if you do bad at as but your final grades are good, what about reapplying

you can go through adjustment and possibly go to a better university.
you can go through adjustment and possibly go to a better university.

ive heard people not applying to any unis at all because of severely bad AS grades. but then they reapply with new good grades to unis for the first time. do they go through the same process?
Original post by galingo
ive heard people not applying to any unis at all because of severely bad AS grades. but then they reapply with new good grades to unis for the first time. do they go through the same process?

Well severely bad is rather subjective, for some 3C's could be failure where as for others 3B's , they don't reapply in the same year . If you did badly in AS you need to make a choice that is realistic, there have been people in my year that got 3C's and went onto apply for medicine and obviously got rejected, I think being realistic with yourself is important. In terms of bad AS grades, they are usually put into your ucas application ,but your predicted can be higher(your teachers predict your grades), with the combination of good references and a strong personal statement most courses should be within reach.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest