The Student Room Group

Examiner mistakes

So my igcse hindi grades just came out and i got 83%, in the feb march 2017 series. my predicted and mock grades were A* and i have been getting an A* in Hindi consistently since past 2 years. Suddenly i got such a low percentage. I asked others and few, who never even studied, never got anything above a C or a D in their student life got an A in Hindi like me. I was really confident ill get an A* for sure, as the paper also went really well. Now, everyone including my teacher is recommending me to go for a re evaluation. My entire class is shocked because of the way every one has been getting their grades. Many of those who are actually good at hindi have got grades lower than those who aren't and it seems that the grade distribution is arbitrary. I just want to know what are the chances of an examiner making mistakes?
Original post by akg0302
So my igcse hindi grades just came out and i got 83%, in the feb march 2017 series. my predicted and mock grades were A* and i have been getting an A* in Hindi consistently since past 2 years. Suddenly i got such a low percentage. I asked others and few, who never even studied, never got anything above a C or a D in their student life got an A in Hindi like me. I was really confident ill get an A* for sure, as the paper also went really well. Now, everyone including my teacher is recommending me to go for a re evaluation. My entire class is shocked because of the way every one has been getting their grades. Many of those who are actually good at hindi have got grades lower than those who aren't and it seems that the grade distribution is arbitrary. I just want to know what are the chances of an examiner making mistakes?

There is a chance and its better to know for sure, but the chances of getting a regrade are low. They have to have made a mark that no other reasonable examiner would have made. If your teacher says go for it then give it a go.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
There is a chance and its better to know for sure, but the chances of getting a regrade are low. They have to have made a mark that no other reasonable examiner would have made. If your teacher says go for it then give it a go.

Ya, but since feb march 2017 is a series only for india, i think that the examiners might not be as competent as their counterparts who correct the may june and october november series. I have read numerous articles saying that so many examiners just give random grades and stuff, to earn those £5 per script
Reply 3
Original post by akg0302
Ya, but since feb march 2017 is a series only for india, i think that the examiners might not be as competent as their counterparts who correct the may june and october november series. I have read numerous articles saying that so many examiners just give random grades and stuff, to earn those £5 per script

I think you're setting your hopes too high at this point.

Since the revamp, it's highly unlikely a grade will change unfortunately. But nothing is impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akg0302

Ok ya, well you seem to have inside knowledge and know what you should have scored so go for it. If you get the upgrade then they give you the remark money back.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Ok ya, well you seem to have inside knowledge and know what you should have scored so go for it. If you get the upgrade then they give you the remark money back.

Is it possible for them to just change the marks by some margin and not the grade, so that they don't have to send the money back? Just a thought
Reply 6
Original post by _Fergo
I think you're setting your hopes too high at this point.

Since the revamp, it's highly unlikely a grade will change unfortunately. But nothing is impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by the revamp?
Original post by akg0302
Is it possible for them to just change the marks by some margin and not the grade, so that they don't have to send the money back? Just a thought

If they are as corrupt and incompetent as you suggest, then anything is possible. Perhaps the remarkers are also keen to earn £5 and dont have to send the money back.
Reply 8
Original post by akg0302
What do you mean by the revamp?

I'm not 100% if it's already in place (I do think it starts this year), but it's about remarks only being allowed where the original examiner was clearly negligent
Reply 9
Original post by _Fergo
I'm not 100% if it's already in place (I do think it starts this year), but it's about remarks only being allowed where the original examiner was clearly negligent

Just to clarify, I'm talking about IGCSE not gcse
Reply 10
Original post by akg0302
Just to clarify, I'm talking about IGCSE not gcse

Ah, that doesn't apply then.

Give it a go then and hope for the best.
Reply 11
Original post by _Fergo
Ah, that doesn't apply then.

Give it a go then and hope for the best.

oh ok thanks
Reply 12
Anyone who has an insight into the IGCSE correction and/or has had a personal experience of papers being wrongly marked ?
Original post by akg0302
Anyone who has an insight into the IGCSE correction and/or has had a personal experience of papers being wrongly marked ?

It does happen, but the chances of it happening are very low. The chances of your grade changing especially from an A to an A* are less than 1 out of 100. You're better of saving your money especially as an A is in no way a bad grade.If it was a C, I'd consider it but at an A its a waste of money
Reply 14
Original post by novaswofter
It does happen, but the chances of it happening are very low. The chances of your grade changing especially from an A to an A* are less than 1 out of 100. You're better of saving your money especially as an A is in no way a bad grade.If it was a C, I'd consider it but at an A its a waste of money

Its just that distribution of grades seems arbitrary. People who were expected of Cs and Ds got As and A* got A and below.
Moreover most people got A s which seems uncanny. Also its a foreign second language that too not conducted in mainstream series of May June and oct nov. Its feb March. i find it possible for the above reason that the examiners didn't rake it seriously enough and just guesstimated, as what numerous other articles i have read stated. Its really weird for the majority of a class to have A that too of the same school
Original post by akg0302
Its just that distribution of grades seems arbitrary. People who were expected of Cs and Ds got As and A* got A and below.
Moreover most people got A s which seems uncanny. Also its a foreign second language that too not conducted in mainstream series of May June and oct nov. Its feb March. i find it possible for the above reason that the examiners didn't rake it seriously enough and just guesstimated, as what numerous other articles i have read stated. Its really weird for the majority of a class to have A that too of the same school

Perhaps the expected C graders put the effort in and got the grade. Anything is a possibility."most people got As" makes me think the boundary was high for an A* and low for an A. Btw do you have the Feb March papers? I'm taking my 5 remaining exams now and they'd be a massive help
Reply 16
Original post by novaswofter
Perhaps the expected C graders put the effort in and got the grade. Anything is a possibility."most people got As" makes me think the boundary was high for an A* and low for an A. Btw do you have the Feb March papers? I'm taking my 5 remaining exams now and they'd be a massive help

Bro trust me they didn't prepare anything because most dont know how to write properly as it has a different script like mandarin. Anyway i do have computer science and physics papers if you want. Write down your email id
Original post by akg0302
Bro trust me they didn't prepare anything because most dont know how to write properly as it has a different script like mandarin. Anyway i do have computer science and physics papers if you want. Write down your email id

pmed you
For goodness sake just put in your appeal and then you will find out.

Quick Reply

Latest