The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths FP1 UNOFFICIAL Mark Scheme 19th May 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apachai Hopachai
no they shouldn't, if you don't understand c2 why are you doing fp1

Its not understanding, its recall- i knew it was a geometric progression but couldnt remember the formula, the only reason you remember it is because youre taking c2 this year?
Also how did you get a cambridge maths offer ( i dont believe you tbh) if you didnt take AS maths and AS further maths last year, they would have thrown your application in the bin compared to people doing at AS with near flawless UMS.
Can anyone remember question 5's question please. Urgent :smile:
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Its not understanding, its recall- i knew it was a geometric progression but couldnt remember the formula, the only reason you remember it is because youre taking c2 this year?
Also how did you get a cambridge maths offer ( i dont believe you tbh) if you didnt take AS maths and AS further maths last year, they would have thrown your application in the bin compared to people doing at AS with near flawless UMS.

I applied with just my GCSEs, a few people on here have done that. It's really risky, since they have less to base you on (interview and GCSEs). However, I was confident in my 'teckers'
Can anyone remember what question 7 was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hamza00
Howd ya find coordinates for q7, i had it in terms of q and a which is wrong :/

You found Q from the co ordinates on the tangent they gave you, (1a/4,0) i think

UMS means nothing and Cambridge know this, hence why they give extra exams (STEP). There was a kid who got 100 UMS in all of his modules last year at my school, but he couldn't do step
Guys, I've posted a full set of worked answers over on FP1 discussion thread mostly with the question summarised at the start. I can repost here if you want...
UMS means nothing and Cambridge know this, hence why they give extra exams (STEP). There was a kid who got 100 UMS in all of his modules last year at my school, but he couldn't do step

Not nothing but i get that it cant be used to differentiate between the best candidates and so STEP is needed, i just have a hard time believing someone with no AS grade got an offer over someone with probably near perfect maths AS and fm AS results.
Not nothing but i get that it cant be used to differentiate between the best candidates and so STEP is needed, i just have a hard time believing someone with no AS grade got an offer over someone with probably near perfect maths AS and fm AS results.

Meh. Do you think Cambridge would accept some kid with good ums but can't answer step questions in the interview?
Meh. Do you think Cambridge would accept some kid with good ums but can't answer step questions in the interview?

I mean you wouldnt have even gotten an interview id have thought
Reply 290
Original post by k.russell
agree with all :smile:) hope we're on for 75/75

Looks like it. Well done to you, sir
Hey guys, last question( the divisibility question) I did everything right except I assumed true for n=k+1, which was like a typo, i meant to write assume true for n=k ( I did everything else right, proved f(k+1) was a multiple etc), how many marks would I lose. Also i forgot to square the modulus when I expanded lambda and solved for lambda. How many Marks would I have lost for that
How many marks would you lose if you missed out the other negative a value for the matrix determinant one

Just to be clear, the key difference of STEP is that it needs problem-solving skills. Not all teachers teach those, or are even able to teach them, which is unfortunate. I put problem-solving at the centre of everything I teach. Students struggle with it initially (Sir, you haven't taught us how to do this!) but it ultimately leads to much greater enjoyment of maths. Yes maths can be fun!
Can someone remind me what the question and answer was for Q6b?
Original post by Reesharr
Just to be clear, the key difference of STEP is that it needs problem-solving skills. Not all teachers teach those, or are even able to teach them, which is unfortunate. I put problem-solving at the centre of everything I teach. Students struggle with it initially (Sir, you haven't taught us how to do this!) but it ultimately leads to much greater enjoyment of maths. Yes maths can be fun!

Exactly.
Original post by pvusher
How many marks would you lose if you missed out the other negative a value for the matrix determinant one

I'd say 1 or 2 max
Original post by Reesharr

You cannot teach problem-solving, all you can do as a teacher is give your student the best understanding possible. However, not all teachers can do this. Whilst explaining the chain rule, my teacher said he didn't even understand why it worked the way it does, but showed us to do it.
So frustrating man, that close to get full marks...
I assume the grade boundaries will be high...
Doubt ill be seeing you then BECAUSE IVE ALREADY DONE C2.

P.s i knew you were winding me up im also bored so i figured may as well

You're doing C3, right? Hopefully you don't forget sinxcosx=tanx \frac{\sin x}{\cos x} = \tan x

Yeah, no hard feelings good luck man

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending