The Student Room Group

Assange off the Swedish hook

Sweden has dropped the rape enquiry on Julian Assange.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/live/2017/may/19/julian-assange-rape-inquiry-dropped-live

His stated reason for staying in the Ecuadorian embassy was that he believed the rape enquiry was a ruse by Sweden acting in co-operation with the US to have him deported from Sweden to America once he was there to answer charges.

It now appears that he will still be arrested if he leaves, by the British police, for having breached his bail conditions when he took refuge. Presumably he could still face extradition to the US from the UK, although it's always been said that would be more difficult for the US to achieve.

Should we care any more about what happens to him? Wikileaks has done some good, but they seem in recent years to increasingly have become a tool for Putin's propaganda machine. Assange himself is a strange guy, he's not particularly trustworthy as far as I can tell. However, I don't think overall Wikileaks (or Assange) should face criminal prosecution from a regime as harsh and biased as the US legal machine, which would be certain to trump up (pun intended) charges against him.

Scroll to see replies

So in the end, that was a lot of expensive ****ery over nothing.
Lets see what the UK does now.
Original post by Quantex
So in the end, that was a lot of expensive ****ery over nothing.

The Swedish case has always looked a bit thin, this confirms it.
Well he's managed to cost the UK taxpayer millions.
Original post by 999tigger
Well he's managed to cost the UK taxpayer millions.

Or Ecuador has? Perhaps we should send them the bill. :teehee:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Or Ecuador has? Perhaps we should send them the bill. :teehee:

I dont think Trump will be interested unless theres an upside for him. The upside might be to embarrass Obama or have an easy victory and distract attention.
Reply 7
The Swedish case has always looked a bit thin, this confirms it.

He could still be arrested if he returned to Sweden before Aug? 2020, so it's obviously not nothing. Flimsy maybe, but that's not the same thing.
Sweden has dropped the rape enquiry on Julian Assange.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/live/2017/may/19/julian-assange-rape-inquiry-dropped-live

His stated reason for staying in the Ecuadorian embassy was that he believed the rape enquiry was a ruse by Sweden acting in co-operation with the US to have him deported from Sweden to America once he was there to answer charges.

It now appears that he will still be arrested if he leaves, by the British police, for having breached his bail conditions when he took refuge. Presumably he could still face extradition to the US from the UK, although it's always been said that would be more difficult for the US to achieve.

Should we care any more about what happens to him? Wikileaks has done some good, but they seem in recent years to increasingly have become a tool for Putin's propaganda machine. Assange himself is a strange guy, he's not particularly trustworthy as far as I can tell. However, I don't think overall Wikileaks (or Assange) should face criminal prosecution from a regime as harsh and biased as the US legal machine, which would be certain to trump up (pun intended) charges against him.

"Putin's propaganda machine". My are you stupid...
Reply 9
Wastw of money & space

Posted from TSR Mobile
Assange is a hero. Very glad he's got out of this obvious attempt to smear him.
Its quite amusing that Assange, once the darling of the Left, has now been dropped by them like a hot potato.

Leaking embarrassing facts about the venal hag Clinton was bound to have consequences!

The meltdown continues.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by joe cooley
Its quite amusing that Assange, once the darling of the Left, has now been dropped by them like a hot potato.

Leaking embarrassing facts about the venal hagg Clinton was bound to have consequences!

The meltdown continues.

LOL seriously, your leader Trump may get impeached and you claim the left are melting down? God you're delusional. Clinton did nothing illegal unfortunately.

Also if you think Wikileaks is relevant now and isnt a Russian propaganda site then you clearly lack the critical ability needed to discuss this.
Original post by fx991esplus
LOL seriously, your leader Trump may get impeached and you claim the left are melting down? God you're delusional. Clinton did nothing illegal unfortunately.

Also if you think Wikileaks is relevant now and isnt a Russian propaganda site then you clearly lack the critical ability needed to discuss this.

Trumps to be impeached, for which crime exactly?
Trumps to be impeached, for which crime exactly?

Read the news, this site is for discussion.
Read the news, this site is for discussion.

No idea have you?

Also, you need to revise your concept of "discussion" because it certainly involves individuals making statements and others posing questions about said statements.
(edited 6 years ago)
No idea have you?

As I said, go read the news.
As I said, go read the news.

Serious question...

Do you ever feel embarrassed parroting left wing nonsense, when in fact you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Honestly, is it to much to expect those calling for the impeachment of President Trump to know the reason behind the desired impeachment?

Honestly, is it to much to expect those calling for the impeachment of President Trump to know the reason behind the desired impeachment?

As I said, read the news.
As I said, read the news.

repeating soundbites without understanding or knowing the 'facts' behind them. LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending