The Student Room Group

Handwriting in exam (aqa core 1 maths)

Hi :smile:
In my maths exam, I was in a hurry due to spending loads of time on one question. However, I think I got those questions right, it's just that my handwriting was quite messy. I also had to use an additional sheet. Will the examiner take time to read my answers, as on the additional sheet there were part of answers I carried out writing on the additional sheet, as there was no room left in the actual exam paper, but I didn't actually write 'look at additional sheet for other part of answer'. The answer looks half complete on the exam answer section. Will they still know that my other answer is on the sheet, do they check?
It was also quite random, as on the additional sheet, on the first page I wrote my answer to qs 7, but on the 3rd page I wrote my answer to qs 3 (not in chronological order)
Also is it true that some examiners cannot be bothered reading messy writing/calculations.
I can't breathe, I'm that stressed out by this. :smile:
Reply 1
Hellooo, anybody here...:redface:
Reply 2
:frown::frown::frown:
Reply 3
Original post by ,jlhhry76o8
In my maths exam, I was in a hurry due to spending loads of time on one question. However, I think I got those questions right, it's just that my handwriting was quite messy. I also had to use an additional sheet. Will the examiner take time to read my answers, as on the additional sheet there were part of answers I carried out writing on the additional sheet, as there was no room left in the actual exam paper, but I didn't actually write 'look at additional sheet for other part of answer'. The answer looks half complete on the exam answer section. Will they still know that my other answer is on the sheet, do they check?
It was also quite random, as on the additional sheet, on the first page I wrote my answer to qs 7, but on the 3rd page I wrote my answer to qs 3 (not in chronological order)
Also is it true that some examiners cannot be bothered reading messy writing/calculations.

I dunno man. I did the same as you tbf.
An examiner should try to work out what any additional pages refer to, and do their best to make out your handwriting.

Being honest, there are a couple of caveats to be aware of:

(1) Examiners can make mistakes like anyone else. The harder to follow your working is, or the harder it is to work out "oh, the last half of this question is on a different sheet", the more likely it is that they'll make mistakes in marking.
(2) I've seen people post workings on here that are frankly illegible. If it's not possible to read what you wrote, all bets are off.
Reply 5
Original post by DFranklin
An examiner should try to work out what any additional pages refer to, and do their best to make out your handwriting.

Being honest, there are a couple of caveats to be aware of:

(1) Examiners can make mistakes like anyone else. The harder to follow your working is, or the harder it is to work out "oh, the last half of this question is on a different sheet", the more likely it is that they'll make mistakes in marking.
(2) I've seen people post workings on here that are frankly illegible. If it's not possible to read what you wrote, all bets are off.

My writing is definitely legible but a bit messy. The only major concern I had was writing on the different sheet the other half of the answer to the majority of the questions, but didn't make it clear on the actual exam paper to read the rest of the answer.
Thanks for the reply anyway.
My writing is definitely legible but a bit messy. The only major concern I had was writing on the different sheet the other half of the answer to the majority of the questions, but didn't make it clear on the actual exam paper to read the rest of the answer.
Thanks for the reply anyway.

There's nothing to worry about here. The examiner will identify which question you attempted to answer on the extra sheet and electronically link it to the correct place in your script. We are used to reading poor/scrappy handwriting. We teach after all.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
There's nothing to worry about here. The examiner will identify which question you attempted to answer on the extra sheet and electronically link it to the correct place in your script. We are used to reading poor/scrappy handwriting. We teach after all.

Thanks for the reassurance.
Would you be able to make a worked/ model solution, unofficial mark scheme for the AQA Core 1 May 2017 paper?
Thanks for the reassurance.
Would you be able to make a worked/ model solution, unofficial mark scheme for the AQA Core 1 May 2017 paper?

I don't have access to AQA papers, sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest