The Student Room Group

Is there any chance of getting a job in the UK as an international graduate?

I'm planning to pursue a graduate degree from uni of Sheffield in "computer science with an year in industry". Do some of the international students at graduate level even get a job in the uk after completing the degree or it's just same for everyone.
I mean to know are there even slightly positive prospects for graduate employment opportunities. Or one has to do either at least a master's or PhD to get a job? Thanks in advance.
Original post by vinny99
I'm planning to pursue a graduate degree from uni of Sheffield in "computer science with an year in industry". Do some of the international students at graduate level even get a job in the uk after completing the degree or it's just same for everyone.
I mean to know are there even slightly positive prospects for graduate employment opportunities. Or one has to do either at least a master's or PhD to get a job? Thanks in advance.

No they don't. Most graduate schemes explicitly ask if you would need a work visa to work here. Once you say yes to that, they throw your application out.

There are demands for teachers in the UK, so you could go into that fairly easily.
With the growth in the computer science industry at the moment and in the future, your pretty much guaranteed a job as long as you finish with decent marks.Im no expert however i cant see employers in computer science/tech industrys turning you away because your an international student
Original post by J-SP
You could work on a Tier 2 or Tier 5 visa. Not all companies have the ability to sponsor you on either of these options, but there are tens of thousands that can, and a fair amount are seen in tech industries.

It won't be as easy as if you were a UK student, but it is very feasible for you to get a job in the UK espeically if it is just after graduating. Considering a lot of IT/Computer Science jobs are on the shortage occupation list, then the visa process is easier, although you'd still need to meet basic requirements for the visa at the same time.

Thanks for the wonderful reply but my concern is knowing that it won't be easy is it still feasible at all considering I would be just a graduate. And I hear from a lot of people how no one gets job and have to finally return back home. What do u suggest. Sorry to ask again.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
It's not the case that "no one" gets a job. There's plenty who do. But yes, there's probably more that don't.

You have to build your CV up, make sure you are applying to appropriate jobs that you have the relevant skills, knowledge and motivation to do. Your degree alone won't do it, you need to make yourself a competitive applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply and the heads up. I too believe it's gonna be tough job market but for international graduates it's effectively very slim chance of getting job offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending