The Student Room Group

OCR English Language A-Level - How to get an A*

Hello everyone, I'm really interested in what we are all using and what we're doing in order to get our marks - hopefully we can all contribute together and join forces to get our A*'s.

So what are you doing? What are you struggling with? How are you feeling about the upcoming exams? What topic do you prefer/hate the most?

English is my favourite subject, so I have lots of resources that I could share with you all.
Reply 1
Original post by AGALL
Hello everyone, I'm really interested in what we are all using and what we're doing in order to get our marks - hopefully we can all contribute together and join forces to get our A*'s.

So what are you doing? What are you struggling with? How are you feeling about the upcoming exams? What topic do you prefer/hate the most?

English is my favourite subject, so I have lots of resources that I could share with you all.

Hello :smile: I am also studying A2 English Language and so far I am just trying to use some of the texts from AQA past papers to practice and online articles for the Language and the Media question.
I am currently struggling with Language Change as I hate reading old texts that use an old-fashioned writing style because I don't always understand what they are saying as English is not my native language. (this is also a struggle when talking about archaic lexical items or meanings as I often confuse weird looking words with archaic words and I don't always know if the meaning has changed. Do you have any tips for this section?
I think that the Language and the Media question is much easier as you can take any approach you want to it as long as it is relevant.
I am very nervous about the upcoming exams because I do not feel 100% ready and I am not too sure of how to improve D:
Reply 2
Original post by kat2307
Hello :smile: I am also studying A2 English Language and so far I am just trying to use some of the texts from AQA past papers to practice and online articles for the Language and the Media question.
I am currently struggling with Language Change as I hate reading old texts that use an old-fashioned writing style because I don't always understand what they are saying as English is not my native language. (this is also a struggle when talking about archaic lexical items or meanings as I often confuse weird looking words with archaic words and I don't always know if the meaning has changed. Do you have any tips for this section?
I think that the Language and the Media question is much easier as you can take any approach you want to it as long as it is relevant.
I am very nervous about the upcoming exams because I do not feel 100% ready and I am not too sure of how to improve D:

Hi!! Are you doing AQA or OCR?:smile:
Reply 3
Hi, I am struggling with this exam quite a lot actually, because OCR has not provided many past papers at all, and I find it difficult to find my own resources to analyze ugh. I'm quite frustrated, and I feel like I don't know that much terminology to do with language change- do you guys have any resources/past papers/model answers that could help me out?
Reply 4
Hi guys, I assume this is for the new spec linear exam? If so, does anyone have any ideas on what the grade boundaries might be? My teacher has said that they haven't been given any indication by OCR, so it's just guessing really.
Reply 5
Original post by AGALL
Hi!! Are you doing AQA or OCR?:smile:

I am doing OCR but since its a new A Level there aren't a lot of resources like past papers to practise with hence sometimes I use some from the AQA website :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kat2307
I am doing OCR but since its a new A Level there aren't a lot of resources like past papers to practise with hence sometimes I use some from the AQA website :smile:

You're best off using real texts for practice and using the outlines from the exams and basic questions. That's what I do :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending