The Student Room Group

Ocr as law sources of law predictions?

What is your prediction on what is going to come up on the G152 sources of law paper ?
Reply 1
Our teacher believes judicial precedent is likely to come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Judicial precedent + acts of parliament and EU law :smile:
Reply 3
When you said acts of parliament do you mean legislation?
Reply 4
I predict legislation & sources of law or Judicial Precedent!
Reply 5
Original post by Idris-
What is your prediction on what is going to come up on the G152 sources of law paper ?

If Precedent doesn't come up for the 4th year in a row i think i may just leave the country
Reply 6
Original post by Alt_42
If Precedent doesn't come up for the 4th year in a row i think i may just leave the country

Unlucky mate.
Reply 7
Original post by SethMtv
Unlucky mate.

Tell me about it, statutory interpretation for the fourth year in a row, i was re-sitting to improve my C just gonna have to do well in my g153 and 4
Reply 8
Original post by Alt_42
Tell me about it, statutory interpretation for the fourth year in a row, i was re-sitting to improve my C just gonna have to do well in my g153 and 4

Rah that's deep, you can't even resit. I was planning my resit the second i opened that question booklet.
Reply 9
Original post by zainkiani
my college didn't teach us EU law and poorly taught statutory interpretations, so our whole year and upper year resits got screwed, just wanted to know what your college didn't teach because apparently each college just doesn't teach one topic?

my college didnt teach EU law either for the 3 5 mark questions what was your answers intrinsic aids or extrinsic?
Reply 10
Original post by Idris-
my college didnt teach EU law either for the 3 5 mark questions what was your answers intrinsic aids or extrinsic?

You needed to state what type of intrinsic or extrinsic aids. The first 5 marker was hansard (extrinsic aid), the second one was previous case law (extrinsic aid)-for this one you could also use intrinsic aids such as preamble long titles and short titles of previous case law to find out what was contained in the consolidating statute, and the third one was law reform reports such as from the royal or law commission (extrinsic aid).

So unhappy judicial precedent didn't come up though but thankfully i realized i could use some similar evaluation in cii) when the source mentioned the mischief rule resulting in judicial law making. :h:
Reply 11
Original post by Alt_42

Same. I was resitting to improve my grade C as well. Was told there's little chance precedent won't be on the paper. However I didn't think the paper was all that bad as I had been using stat cases for synoptic links in the G154 paper, so the mischief rule was the only question that went horribly wrong (only included one case, the source, and 3 points)
Reply 12
Original post by SethMtv
Rah that's deep, you can't even resit. I was planning my resit the second i opened that question booklet.

What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be for sources of law.

I reckon:
A-49
B-43
C-37
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by 2025
You needed to state what type of intrinsic or extrinsic aids. The first 5 marker was hansard (extrinsic aid), the second one was previous case law (extrinsic aid)-for this one you could also use intrinsic aids such as preamble long titles and short titles of previous case law to find out what was contained in the consolidating statute, and the third one was law reform reports such as from the royal or law commission (extrinsic aid).

So unhappy judicial precedent didn't come up though but thankfully i realized i could use some similar evaluation in cii) when the source mentioned the mischief rule resulting in judicial law making. :h:

so for the 2nd 5 marker could you also state it was an intrinsic aid
Reply 14
Original post by Idris-
so for the 2nd 5 marker could you also state it was an intrinsic aid

The mark scheme may allow this with valid justification because the judge wanted to find out more about a consolidating statute so could look for features within the statute.

However this was the most appropriate way to go about the 2nd 5 marker ; first i stated that an extrinsic aid of previous case law should be used (this was the critical point=3 marks), then I stated this is because a consolidating statute is a number of Acts of parliament compiled into one Act so these acts could be researched individually (this is the reason "why"), then I stated that intrinsic aids such as preamble, long titles, short titles etc could be used within the previous case law to grasp the context of what would be in the consolidating statute (this would be a further elaboration point which would achieve the final mark).

Hope this helps :h:
Reply 15
Original post by 2025
The mark scheme may allow this with valid justification because the judge wanted to find out more about a consolidating statute so could look for features within the statute.

However this was the most appropriate way to go about the 2nd 5 marker ; first i stated that an extrinsic aid of previous case law should be used (this was the critical point=3 marks), then I stated this is because a consolidating statute is a number of Acts of parliament compiled into one Act so these acts could be researched individually (this is the reason "why":wink:, then I stated that intrinsic aids such as preamble, long titles, short titles etc could be used within the previous case law to grasp the context of what would be in the consolidating statute (this would be a further elaboration point which would achieve the final mark).

Hope this helps :h:

so would i only get one mark for saying it was an intrinsic aid and why
Reply 16
Original post by Idris-
so would i only get one mark for saying it was an intrinsic aid and why

I think you could get two marks

search this link :

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/235895-mark-scheme-unit-g152-sources-of-law-june.pdf

This is a mark scheme which has similar 5 mark questions. For level 1 you can state any basic relevant point and get 2 marks and as you've stated an intrinsic aid this would equal one mark and why equals a further mark, so you've probably got 2 marks on that question. don't forget the 5 markers are only a small percentage of the paper. hope this helps:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending