The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Connaught hall catered food?

Hi,

I've applied for accommodation at connaught hall, garden hall and college hall.
I am vegetarian and I'm wondering what kind of food will be provided?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi kiran, I am Indian too- I was wondering the same- any idea about the catered food?
Also, Did you only apply to any other residence hall??
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hey guys, I'll be coming from India too. I've shortlisted a couple of accommodations which include Connaught. Here's the link for their catering
http://www.connaught-hall.org.uk/pages/facilities/catering.html

Although beware it's a chart from 2011, and they say they keep changing their menu.

What courses have you guys enrolled for? Also, undergrad or postgrad?
Reply 3
Hi! post grad, and doesn't seem like connaught takes post grads from UCL, so thats off my list now!
Where else have you guys applied for accommodation?
Original post by ishbha
Hi! post grad, and doesn't seem like connaught takes post grads from UCL, so thats off my list now!
Where else have you guys applied for accommodation?

I'm a postgrad too.

Also, you can apply to Connaught as a postgrad btw. To make it show up on the menu, you'll need to go for the 39week application and have a rent of about 240-270, and catered as either 'any' or 'yes'. This obviously means in the summer you'll need to look around for another place to stay between June-end to September.

I'm personally quite confused as to which places to apply for. Garden Halls looks good as it was redone last year. Connaught looks appealing too except that it's mostly first year undergrad dominated as per its website. That could make it noisy or perhaps that's the case with any halls like that I suppose.

The lack of pictures of UCL student houses makes it rather frustrating to assess them.

Which places and rent range are you looking at and have you applied?
Reply 5
Original post by AkaashAgarwal
I'm a postgrad too.

Also, you can apply to Connaught as a postgrad btw. To make it show up on the menu, you'll need to go for the 39week application and have a rent of about 240-270, and catered as either 'any' or 'yes'. This obviously means in the summer you'll need to look around for another place to stay between June-end to September.

I'm personally quite confused as to which places to apply for. Garden Halls looks good as it was redone last year. Connaught looks appealing too except that it's mostly first year undergrad dominated as per its website. That could make it noisy or perhaps that's the case with any halls like that I suppose.

The lack of pictures of UCL student houses makes it rather frustrating to assess them.

Which places and rent range are you looking at and have you applied?

Hi! When I mailed ucl they said grads HAVE TO choose the 51 week option. Which eventually leaves grads with only ifor Evans (If you choose catered)
They said you may apply separately through the intercollegiate websites as this year they're not allowing grads to apply to the intercollegiate halls via the ucl portal.
But when I emailed Connaught hall they said you have to apply through your college portal.
I eventually just gave up and opted for ifor Evans.
I don't mind it, but it's quite far from college! That's the only problem.
I'm looking at places around 200-250 pw, preferably catered.
What about you? Any luck with any of the college halls?
Original post by ishbha
Hi! When I mailed ucl they said grads HAVE TO choose the 51 week option. Which eventually leaves grads with only ifor Evans (If you choose catered)
They said you may apply separately through the intercollegiate websites as this year they're not allowing grads to apply to the intercollegiate halls via the ucl portal.
But when I emailed Connaught hall they said you have to apply through your college portal.
I eventually just gave up and opted for ifor Evans.
I don't mind it, but it's quite far from college! That's the only problem.
I'm looking at places around 200-250 pw, preferably catered.
What about you? Any luck with any of the college halls?

Ok, I didn't know about that restriction on postgrads by UCL. Well, that really sucks.

I pretty much have the same preferences as you with catering (can't cook to save my life, although might have to learn), and 200-250 pw. Additionally, I REALLY want a place close to UCL.

Also, as you similarly faced, I too only had the option of Ifor Evans if I went for 51weeks + catering. It really is too far. What were your other preferences? If Ifor is the only option for a catered hall, then I'm thinking of adding Edelsleigh Gardens student house (self-catered) as a relatively high preference as well. Will either have to learn to cook or subscribe to a regular food/tiffin service or something :/.

Should we try applying through UoL directly for Garden Halls, Connaught etc., if that's allowed?

Don't know about you but I'm mad stressing on this accommodation problem haha.
Reply 7
Ok, I didn't know about that restriction on postgrads by UCL. Well, that really sucks.

I pretty much have the same preferences as you with catering (can't cook to save my life, although might have to learn), and 200-250 pw. Additionally, I REALLY want a place close to UCL.

Also, as you similarly faced, I too only had the option of Ifor Evans if I went for 51weeks + catering. It really is too far. What were your other preferences? If Ifor is the only option for a catered hall, then I'm thinking of adding Edelsleigh Gardens student house (self-catered) as a relatively high preference as well. Will either have to learn to cook or subscribe to a regular food/tiffin service or something :/.

Should we try applying through UoL directly for Garden Halls, Connaught etc., if that's allowed?

Don't know about you but I'm mad stressing on this accommodation problem haha.

Hehe I was in the same place as you 2 weeks ago! It took me ages!!
I already submitted my accommodation application. I really don't mind cooking but I know I'm not going end up getting time, so I strongly prefer catered. Which is why I only got ifor Evans in the drop down option!
I know someone at ifor and he said the food is quite good there.
Also, you need to submit it soon, or else you won't get guaranteed accommodation.

I'm also looking at goodenough college- check it out.

Could you try mailing the intercollegiate halls? I've hit a dead end trying to apply to those.
Let me know what they tell you!
l
Original post by ishbha
Hehe I was in the same place as you 2 weeks ago! It took me ages!!
I already submitted my accommodation application. I really don't mind cooking but I know I'm not going end up getting time, so I strongly prefer catered. Which is why I only got ifor Evans in the drop down option!
I know someone at ifor and he said the food is quite good there.
Also, you need to submit it soon, or else you won't get guaranteed accommodation.

I'm also looking at goodenough college- check it out.

Could you try mailing the intercollegiate halls? I've hit a dead end trying to apply to those.
Let me know what they tell you!

Yeah I really need to get on it because my anxiety's been making me procrastinate on this for a month now lol. Good to know that the food is decent at Ifor btw!

Sadly though, I just saw UoL's page and it said basically we have to apply through our own college's website for accommodation. So applying externally is unfortunately out of the picture :frown:. I kinda really liked Garden Halls!

And what a coincidence I just began looking around Goodenough college myself. Been scouring Reddit and any source I can find on people giving advice on accommodation -___-'. Goodenough seems to have an application with a requirement for a personal statement (LOL?). I wonder if they're catered or not though.

May I ask what course you've been accepted for btw?
Reply 9
l

Yeah I really need to get on it because my anxiety's been making me procrastinate on this for a month now lol. Good to know that the food is decent at Ifor btw!

Sadly though, I just saw UoL's page and it said basically we have to apply through our own college's website for accommodation. So applying externally is unfortunately out of the picture :frown:. I kinda really liked Garden Halls!

And what a coincidence I just began looking around Goodenough college myself. Been scouring Reddit and any source I can find on people giving advice on accommodation -___-'. Goodenough seems to have an application with a requirement for a personal statement (LOL?). I wonder if they're catered or not though.

May I ask what course you've been accepted for btw?

The goodenough app is too tedious! I haven't finished it myself. I've found mixed reviews for goodenough, but it's worth a shot I guess. So the food system at goodenough is the token system. You buy a bunch of tokens and redeem them for meals whenever you want. Otherwise cook/eat out. Which is not bad, if you ask me.

I have an offer for the MSc. Clinical and public health nutrition course. What about you? :smile:
Original post by ishbha
The goodenough app is too tedious! I haven't finished it myself. I've found mixed reviews for goodenough, but it's worth a shot I guess. So the food system at goodenough is the token system. You buy a bunch of tokens and redeem them for meals whenever you want. Otherwise cook/eat out. Which is not bad, if you ask me.

I have an offer for the MSc. Clinical and public health nutrition course. What about you? :smile:

Ya Goodenough seems quite decent, and the token or meal plan thing is alright. Guess the only thing is it'll overshoot the budget, as the rooms are going to be around 250 pw, and then presumably food will be an additional ~70-100 pw. I'll send in an app anyway because the place does seem goodenough :P.

Also, UCL is going to send us CAS statements for our VISAs from mid-June onwards, right?

I've got admission for the MSc in Data Science (spec. in CS) program :smile:
Reply 11
Ya Goodenough seems quite decent, and the token or meal plan thing is alright. Guess the only thing is it'll overshoot the budget, as the rooms are going to be around 250 pw, and then presumably food will be an additional ~70-100 pw. I'll send in an app anyway because the place does seem goodenough :P.

Also, UCL is going to send us CAS statements for our VISAs from mid-June onwards, right?

I've got admission for the MSc in Data Science (spec. in CS) program :smile:

I have the same issue with goodenough, but you'd spend the same on transport from Ifor Evans anyway.

Yeah, I actually had a conditional offer, based on my English proficiency test- I've sent them my scores and they haven't yet gotten back to me. So I haven't even thought of visa applications yet! but yeah, I've heard the visa process starts in June only, not before that.

Let me know if you get any information about the visa! :smile:
Reply 12
Hi Guys, I'm also an Indian student planning to go to UCL this year. I was considering Garden Halls (self-catered options). Any reason why you didn't consider GH during your research? Grateful for any pointers you can throw my way.
Original post by tina_vm
Hi Guys, I'm also an Indian student planning to go to UCL this year. I was considering Garden Halls (self-catered options). Any reason why you didn't consider GH during your research? Grateful for any pointers you can throw my way.

Hi!

Well @ishbha said that in her/his correspondence with UCL s/he found out that apparently graduate students can't apply to accommodations with 39 week plans only (this includes GH).

So unless you're undergrad, presumably you won't get GH :/
Reply 14
Hi!

Well @ishbha said that in her/his correspondence with UCL s/he found out that apparently graduate students can't apply to accommodations with 39 week plans only (this includes GH).

So unless you're undergrad, presumably you won't get GH :/

Oh, didn't know that! I was thinking of putting it down as my option as it's so close to UCL :frown: Not sure what options to put down now - what did you decide on? Ifor Evans seems awfully far!
Reply 15
Hi!
@AkaashAgarwal I'm a girl 😂
So I applied to goodenough, they just replied saying they won't be able to give me accommodation 🙄
I'm waiting on ifor Evans now. I don't think there's much of an option.
Unless you applied for a self catered provision, which is closer to college.
Because the intercollegiate halls by UoL don't take ucl post grads.
@tina_vm may I ask which course you'd be pursuing at ucl?

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by ishbha
Hi!
@AkaashAgarwal I'm a girl 😂
So I applied to goodenough, they just replied saying they won't be able to give me accommodation 🙄
I'm waiting on ifor Evans now. I don't think there's much of an option.
Unless you applied for a self catered provision, which is closer to college.
Because the intercollegiate halls by UoL don't take ucl post grads.
@tina_vm may I ask which course you'd be pursuing at ucl?

Hope this helps :smile:

Hi Ishbha,

I will be at the IoE enrolled on the Education and International Development MA programme :smile:

I also looked at GoodEnough College, by the way and even prepared the application but decided not to submit it at the last minute. It would have been too expensive even if I had gotten an offer so decided not to give in to the temptation. I'm looking for self-catered studios anyway so UCL does offer a few options for that.

Have you guys considered the private student accomodations? Those look good as well and a few of them are catered, I think.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by tina_vm
Hi Ishbha,

I will be at the IoE enrolled on the Education and International Development MA programme :smile:

I also looked at GoodEnough College, by the way and even prepared the application but decided not to submit it at the last minute. It would have been too expensive even if I had gotten an offer so decided not to give in to the temptation. I'm looking for self-catered studios anyway so UCL does offer a few options for that.

Have you guys considered the private student accomodations? Those look good as well and a few of them are catered, I think.

Hi Tina!
So whatever private student accommodations I've looked at are working out way more expensive than ifor Evans and goodenough. It's like 250-300 pw self catered. Unless you've seen anything else? Let me know?
-ish
My best friend stayed at Connaught. Decent food, nothing too great - you might have to adjust a bit as a vegetarian on some days though. And towards the end, you'll be sick of catered food - that's a fact. Garden Halls is worse.
Reply 19
Original post by ishbha
Hi Tina!
So whatever private student accommodations I've looked at are working out way more expensive than ifor Evans and goodenough. It's like 250-300 pw self catered. Unless you've seen anything else? Let me know?
-ish

Hi Ishbha,

Sorry for the late reply. But you're right - most accomodations are in the 250-300 range without catering. I was looking for self-catered but even then the price doesn't go down much.

I was wondering if any of you have received the CAS from UCL yet? I'm still waiting for mine and getting very worried!! I've already called them twice but haven't gotten a straight answer. No reply yet from the accomodation team either! :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending