The Student Room Group

help what course should I do!?!

1 5 minutes ago Report post
Hi, im sitting my alevels at the moment but no sure which course i should do. Have got an offer for radiotherapy in jordanstown and primary teaching with english in st marys teaching college belfast. I need 3 b's for radiotherapy and a AAB for teaching. i also put english and history at queens second which requires ABB. i had an ACC at as but was hopping repeats would pull me up! My alevels are history,english and biology. I also sat chemistry at as but didnt do so well!! Still not 100% what career i should do. teaching/radiotherapy/english adn history with post grad in teaching or speech and language therapy/media (news) career/law/political career(but not politician lol!) or should i take a year out and reapply for nursing!? So sorry i know this is alot but really not sure what to do!!!!
Original post by sm12335
Hi, im sitting my alevels at the moment but no sure which course i should do. Have got an offer for radiotherapy in jordanstown and primary teaching with english in st marys teaching college belfast. I need 3 b's for radiotherapy and a AAB for teaching. i also put english and history at queens second which requires ABB. i had an ACC at as but was hopping repeats would pull me up! My alevels are history,english and biology. I also sat chemistry at as but didnt do so well!! Still not 100% what career i should do. teaching/radiotherapy/english adn history with post grad in teaching or speech and language therapy/media (news) career/law/political career(but not politician lol!) or should i take a year out and reapply for nursing!? So sorry i know this is alot but really not sure what to do!!!!

It looks like you are confused and not really sure what sort of career you would like to pursue. So, is it really sensible for you to go to uni having no idea what career you'd like? You wish to do media, speech and language, law, teaching, radiotherapy... I mean they are all different and have no relation to each other. It's too much of a reach for you to sit still on one aspect, if you have far to many others surrounding it.

Summer is a great opportunity for you to try and get some work experience. Go to another school and shadow and English teacher for a week or a few hours a day, see if you can get some work experience in a hospital based setting, etc.

If you do not know what to do for definite after your degree, how do you know which degree to read at uni? And if you do not know either questions, then you should really consider postponing higher education until you come to a conclusive conclusion.
Original post by sm12335

Wow! It sounds like you've got a lot to think about at the moment.

The above poster has given you some good suggestions - work experience could really help you understand what some different careers entail and whether you could actually see yourself doing them.

Although I don't think it's necessary to know exactly what you want to do as a career before you decide which course to take (I still don't completely know and I'm in second year - university can help you narrow down options and think of new career ideas and interests), I do think that you've given yourself some really broad options and it seems a shame that what you go into could depend purely on your grades rather than which interests and inspires you most. Radiotherapy and teaching English are completely different, and studying either will totally cut you off from the other option, so it's important that you really know that you'd be happy doing both of these options if all that is making the choice is your results rather than your preferences. Is this because you like both equally, or because you haven't had enough time to understand which choice you prefer and which careers they can lead you to?

If you're still struggling, I would go as far as to suggest deferring your appliations for a year and taking a year out to get some real experience of both of your options to really get an idea of you want to do. This is the rest of your life we're talking about! It's important that you don't end up taking something that doesn't really inspire you in the end. There's no shame or harm in taking a year out, it may make you realise some totally different interests or it may make you certain that you want to go into either radiotherapy or teaching which is also no bad thing. Don't feel like you need to rush into this without properly knowing what you want.

Good luck, I hope this helped at all. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending