The Student Room Group

New AQA Geography A Level - Changing Places Place Study Help

I'm currently studying the new A Level Geography course which in its first year of teaching. I'm struggling to find resources on what to include in your near and far place place studies in the changing places topic. I really don't know what specific things I should be researching for my place studies and with exams coming up soon I'm starting to worry. Any advice, tick lists for content I should include or just general help would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

For your near and far places pick a location (typically a city) to study and try to draw a timeline of how the place has developed economically, environmentally and socially over time. Outline the advantages and disadvantages of the development. Hope that helps.
Original post by menemsnotbilleh
For your near and far places pick a location (typically a city) to study and try to draw a timeline of how the place has developed economically, environmentally and socially over time. Outline the advantages and disadvantages of the development. Hope that helps.

That helps a lot, thank you!
Reply 3
Hi, I'm doing the same thing at the moment!
Are you doing the AS exam or the full A level?
Original post by Mlb37
Hi, I'm doing the same thing at the moment!
Are you doing the AS exam or the full A level?

I'm doing the full A level, but my school have entered us for the AS exams this year through AQA, so I'm having to figure this out in a lot less time :frown: My geography exams are in four weeks and I've no idea whats going on honestly.
Reply 5
Original post by imaginealevels
I'm doing the full A level, but my school have entered us for the AS exams this year through AQA, so I'm having to figure this out in a lot less time :frown: My geography exams are in four weeks and I've no idea whats going on honestly.

I'm doing the full A level too but not the AS... I'll be honest, I'm glad I'm not in your position. What units have you done so far? Have you got the Hodder education workbook? It's got loads of exam style questions in it, with AS and A level questions at the end of each unit. Only the physical workbook has been published though, Human isn't out for another week or so. I find it quite helpful.

Have you started fieldwork yet?
Original post by Mlb37
I'm doing the full A level too but not the AS... I'll be honest, I'm glad I'm not in your position. What units have you done so far? Have you got the Hodder education workbook? It's got loads of exam style questions in it, with AS and A level questions at the end of each unit. Only the physical workbook has been published though, Human isn't out for another week or so. I find it quite helpful.

Have you started fieldwork yet?

I've done hazards, coasts and changing places so far, and I've done three days of fieldwork as the paper two has a whole section on it. Yeah I got the hodder workbook recently actually and I've been waiting on the human one to release too, hopefully I can get it before my human exam. I think physical geography is going to go so much better than my human paper though, my whole class and my teachers are just constantly confused about what we'll need, it's very frustrating.

I really wish I was in your position!
Reply 7
I've done hazards, coasts and changing places so far, and I've done three days of fieldwork as the paper two has a whole section on it. Yeah I got the hodder workbook recently actually and I've been waiting on the human one to release too, hopefully I can get it before my human exam. I think physical geography is going to go so much better than my human paper though, my whole class and my teachers are just constantly confused about what we'll need, it's very frustrating.

I really wish I was in your position!

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to be doing paper 2 for the AS. So will you have to do anymore fieldwork next year or is that it? What unit did you do for yours? I want to do coasts for mine, but I can't think of a question or anything and I need to hurry up with it.
I agree with the physical and human thing, I prefer physical, I think human is a bit too ambiguous for me, although I like some of it. I don't understand why you have to do the AS this year it seems really unfair and stressful for you but hopefully it will make you more prepared for the A level exam.
Original post by Mlb37
Yeah, I don't think I'd want to be doing paper 2 for the AS. So will you have to do anymore fieldwork next year or is that it? What unit did you do for yours? I want to do coasts for mine, but I can't think of a question or anything and I need to hurry up with it.
I agree with the physical and human thing, I prefer physical, I think human is a bit too ambiguous for me, although I like some of it. I don't understand why you have to do the AS this year it seems really unfair and stressful for you but hopefully it will make you more prepared for the A level exam.

The fieldwork we did was just so we could answer the questions in the AS exam, it didn't actually count towards anything so I'll have to do fieldwork next year too. We did it on water and carbon cycles in some rivers and then did some human fieldwork in Whitby, like interviews and environmental quality. It's very messed up and unorganised if I'm being honest, I don't know why we did human fieldwork and I'm only just now getting to grips with the level of detail and understanding I need for the exam for the physical fieldwork.

I think it was just my school wanting to use the AS exams as mocks so our predicted grades for uni are more accurate, but it's just such a huge amount of added pressure and stress. I really don't think it's worth it.
Reply 9
The fieldwork we did was just so we could answer the questions in the AS exam, it didn't actually count towards anything so I'll have to do fieldwork next year too. We did it on water and carbon cycles in some rivers and then did some human fieldwork in Whitby, like interviews and environmental quality. It's very messed up and unorganised if I'm being honest, I don't know why we did human fieldwork and I'm only just now getting to grips with the level of detail and understanding I need for the exam for the physical fieldwork.

I think it was just my school wanting to use the AS exams as mocks so our predicted grades for uni are more accurate, but it's just such a huge amount of added pressure and stress. I really don't think it's worth it.

Oh right, I suppose it's good that you've got some practice of fieldwork even if it won't count. It does sound a bit unnecessary though, if I'm being honest. I hate the fact that there is only one specimen paper and I've done the physical one twice. I guess the workbook is good but still.
That's true, but your grade could change a lot over the next year especially as the AS and A level papers differ. But it will help I guess
Hey there,

Come and join the New AQA A Level Geography thread at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4411006 where we talk about geography and share notes etc about the course. You'll be missing out otherwise!

See you there,

Speedbird

How did you find the exam this afternoon.. I literally used no case studies for my 9&20 markers :/
Original post by U-GradeStudent
How did you find the exam this afternoon.. I literally used no case studies for my 9&20 markers :/

Did you do hazards? The 9 marker on there was horrendous, but otherwise I found it alright, it was better than I had expected. I tried my best to get as many marks as possible to compensate for the amount of marks I'll drop on the human paper on Friday.
Did you do hazards? The 9 marker on there was horrendous, but otherwise I found it alright, it was better than I had expected. I tried my best to get as many marks as possible to compensate for the amount of marks I'll drop on the human paper on Friday.

What was the nine marker for the hazards section?
Original post by chariselizabeth
What was the nine marker for the hazards section?

Something about a seismic hazard and how past and present development influenced the impacts, can't quite remember honestly (:
Reply 15
It was!! For the hazards 9 marker I talked about like building improvement and earthquake warning systems and how they have developed and stuff, I don't know if that was right though, it was worded very strangely!! How do you feel about changing places and geographical skills?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by livsney
It was!! For the hazards 9 marker I talked about like building improvement and earthquake warning systems and how they have developed and stuff, I don't know if that was right though, it was worded very strangely!! How do you feel about changing places and geographical skills?

Ahh that's the one, I had no idea I definitely just wrote a load of waffle though hahah. I wasn't feeling too good about changing places and geographical skills but I've literally just came out of the exam and it wasn't too bad! How did you find it?
Reply 17
Ahh that's the one, I had no idea I definitely just wrote a load of waffle though hahah. I wasn't feeling too good about changing places and geographical skills but I've literally just came out of the exam and it wasn't too bad! How did you find it?

Yeah I found it alright to be honest, I don't think I wrote very coherently because I was struggling with time, but all in all it was pretty good! Do you remember what answers you put for the multiple choice?
Original post by livsney
Yeah I found it alright to be honest, I don't think I wrote very coherently because I was struggling with time, but all in all it was pretty good! Do you remember what answers you put for the multiple choice?

I struggled for time too I know what you mean, and I think I got B for both of the multiple choice, not quite sure though.
Reply 19
I got B for both too!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending