The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths FP1 UNOFFICIAL Mark Scheme 19th May 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by b0bzzta
Hmmm I think your on about question 3, i think you could get 1 mark.

Yh sorry I mean question 3
Original post by Apachai Hopachai
You cannot teach problem-solving, all you can do as a teacher is give your student the best understanding possible. However, not all teachers can do this. Whilst explaining the chain rule, my teacher said he didn't even understand why it worked the way it does, but showed us to do it.

Sorry but you can (teach problem-solving). And while I don't want to criticise a fellow teacher, he should be able to prove the chain rule and the product rule. It's unfortunate that, due to budget cuts, a lot of previously GCSE teachers are being asked to teach A level. It's not their fault - and I've seen them very anxious about it - but they simply don't have the mathematical understanding to teach A-level. They can teach to the textbook but they will also introduce their own misunderstandings without realising it.
Just make sure you understand everything. Also, don't make the mistake I did and think you need a formal understanding for STEP. When I first looked at STEP, I thought I was going to need some in-depth real-analysis understanding to succeed. I then wasted several months trying to learn real-analysis, linear algebra, complex analysis etc...

When getting started, you'll probably be spending 2-3 hours on questions, this is normal and the time will reduce to 30-45 mins if you stick at it. Also, don't look at solutions to soon. STEP is about resiliency tbh

Yes, STEP explicitly says that you do not need any understanding beyond standard A-level maths. In fact I have given STEP questions to my furthers as we've covered relevant topics to develop problem-solving skills.
Just make sure you understand everything. Also, don't make the mistake I did and think you need a formal understanding for STEP. When I first looked at STEP, I thought I was going to need some in-depth real-analysis understanding to succeed. I then wasted several months trying to learn real-analysis, linear algebra, complex analysis etc...

When getting started, you'll probably be spending 2-3 hours on questions, this is normal and the time will reduce to 30-45 mins if you stick at it. Also, don't look at solutions to soon. STEP is about resiliency tbh

Wow okay thanks g. Hope you smash it this year! Btw are you doing any other alevels outside of maths and further?
Original post by Reesharr
Yes, STEP explicitly says that you do not need any understanding beyond standard A-level maths. In fact I have given STEP questions to my furthers as we've covered relevant topics to develop problem-solving skills.

Have you got any advice on how to prepare for step papers? I'll be doing fp2 and fp3 next year so I'll learn the pure content but do you think its worth investing in one of those £1000 step courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reesharr
Guys, I've posted a full set of worked answers over on FP1 discussion thread mostly with the question summarised at the start. I can repost here if you want...
Please.:smile:
Original post by ihatehannah
Hey guys, last question( the divisibility question) I did everything right except I assumed true for n=k+1, which was like a typo, i meant to write assume true for n=k ( I did everything else right, proved f(k+1) was a multiple etc), how many marks would I lose. Also i forgot to square the modulus when I expanded lambda and solved for lambda. How many Marks would I have lost for that
Hmm. If you assume the wrong thing then your conclusion will be wrong. There's one mark gone. If they're nasty, they'll eliminate your induction from the point when you substitute f(k) and give you a mark for factorising and that's it. If not, then you've only lost one. There is no direct mark given for assumption.
Original post by Gunjo
Stop fighting over ****ing maths lmao.
Will adding the terms manually, rather than using the C2 formula give you all 4 marks? yes or no
Grey area I'm afraid.
Original post by omarathon
For Q5 i) a) I got it over 11 instead of 13?
It seemed right... How many marks would I lose here?
Depends where you went wrong.
Original post by Master686
Will I get any method marks for question 3 as I thought the equation was y^2=16ax for the part after writing the equation
Possibly.
Predicted grade boundaries?
My weekend job.:biggrin:
Also how many marks would I loose for q1 if I got the wrong value for q1a for f(7) but found a change of sign and how many marks would I get for newton raphson if I got the value wrong but assuming I did dy/dx correct.
Hmm, not sure. I'd say 0 since the A1 depends on the M1 and the M1 will probably state correct.
2 marks for correct differentiation. 1 mark for application of formula, 1 mark for correct application, 1 mark for answer. You should get 3/5
Original post by webb-tom2
Does anyone remember what question 2b asked for? I think I misread it in the exam and I've definitely lost the three marks, just want to see it again to see what I did wrong
I'll let you know when I get the paper. Which should be toorrow or Monday.
no they shouldn't, if you don't understand c2 why are you doing fp1
Please keep your strongest opinions to yourself and out of my thread. Thanks a million.:colondollar:
Original post by Lifeofwind88
FP1 was a very fair paper bordering on the easy side, however quite worrying as it is foreshadowing harder further maths exams ahead.
Best to do more past papers now.
They are trying to trip you up, and it looks very contrived.
Original post by AdeptDz
Relatively easy paper but I forgot to write 4rt5 Nd left it as rt80
Probably got like 73-75 marks
This should not be penalised. It isn't normally.
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
I found the examiner report from that year and it says people who did it manually were succesful- 2014 IAL F1 question 5 sum of 2 to r
"Question 5
The majority of candidates knew the approach to take in part (a) and took out common factors as early as possible. This approach should be encouraged if it is appropriate to the question. Some candidates multiplied out fully and then factorised the resulting cubic expression. Usually sufficient work was shown but candidates should be encouraged to show all the steps in their working in ‘show that’ questions. Part (b) was not done well in many cases. The common errors included a failure to sum the power terms. The answers ranged from 2 to 212. A number of candidates actually wrote down all the terms of the geometric progression and added them. This was usually successful. Errors often occurred in using the sum from part (a) due to slips in substitution or arithmetic. Question 6 Part (i)(a) was very well done with"
This is paper http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/FP1/Papers-Edexcel/January%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20F1%20Edexcel.pdf

What do you guys think in light of this?
Really helpful for my detailed mark scheme writing. Thanks.
Original post by Old mango
Has anyone made any grade boundary predictions yet?
That's my weekend job.:biggrin:
Original post by Reality Check
Haha! You seem to make very worthwhile contributions to me, so I'm happy :smile:
:ta:
Reply 326
Original post by KingsAlpaca
My Answer for FP1 2017,
1. ST 6.45
2. (3/10, 1/10
-2/5, 1/5)
(2,1
1,-4)
3. y=x/2 xy=16 (4sqrt(2), 2sqrt(2)) and (-4sqrt(2),-2sqrt(2))
4. (2p+12)/13 + (3p-8)i/13 p=20 lambda=+-4sqrt(5)
5. (12-5p, 4p-10
6p-15, 12-5p)
p=3/2 k=15/2 a=9/2 or -27/2
6. -3-2i a=2 b=-11
7. ST (-a, -3a/2) s=15a^2/16
8. ST k=2/9
9. ST ST

how did you get -27/2
Original post by 04MR17
Hmm. If you assume the wrong thing then your conclusion will be wrong. There's one mark gone. If they're nasty, they'll eliminate your induction from the point when you substitute f(k) and give you a mark for factorising and that's it. If not, then you've only lost one. There is no direct mark given for assumption.Grey area I'm afraid.Depends where you went wrong.
Possibly.
Hmm, not sure. I'd say 0 since the A1 depends on the M1 and the M1 will probably state correct.
2 marks for correct differentiation. 1 mark for application of formula, 1 mark for correct application, 1 mark for answer. You should get 3/5
Please keep your strongest opinions to yourself and out of my thread. Thanks a million.:colondollar:They are trying to trip you up, and it looks very contrived.This should not be penalised. It isn't normally.
Really helpful for my detailed mark scheme writing. Thanks.That's my weekend job.:biggrin:

Are you a maths teacher?
Bearing in my mind my quoted examiners report was from the IA level and it said successful- maybe it means successful in getting right answer, not in getting all method marks.
Original post by 04MR17
Question 5 Matrices
i.) a.) ((12-5p) (4p-10))
..........((6p-15) (12-5p)) [2]
b.) p=1.5, k=7.5 [4]
ii.) a=4.5 [5]

a= -27/2 also!
Original post by 04MR17
Hmm. If you assume the wrong thing then your conclusion will be wrong. There's one mark gone. If they're nasty, they'll eliminate your induction from the point when you substitute f(k) and give you a mark for factorising and that's it. If not, then you've only lost one. There is no direct mark given for assumption.Grey area I'm afraid.Depends where you went wrong.
Possibly.
Please keep your strongest opinions to yourself and out of my thread. Thanks a million.:colondollar:They are trying to trip you up, and it looks very contrived.This should not be penalised. It isn't normally.
Really helpful for my detailed mark scheme writing. Thanks.That's my weekend job.:biggrin:

I wrongly did (2i)^2 as 2i^2 instead of 4i^2
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Are you a maths teacher?
Bearing in my mind my quoted examiners report was from the IA level and it said successful- maybe it means successful in getting right answer, not in getting all method marks.
:nah: A2 this year. I beat you in S1 last year by the way (97:u:). You comfortably beat me in the rest though.
Potentially.:yes:
Original post by alexbrijo111
a= -27/2 also!
This has now been edited.:wink:
Original post by omarathon
I wrongly did (2i)^2 as 2i^2 instead of 4i^2
Don't know I'd have to look at it.
Fam, I feel like I done :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:, that exam was way less hard than I'd thought it'd be; only have c2, s1,m1 and d1 to go now :burnout:
Original post by VennSR
how did you get -27/2

Area of image = modulus of the determinant X area of object

I'm assuming you got to |2a+9|=18

Now since the modulus of a number a
Can represent the positive or negative number u have to solve 2 equations
Eq 1: 2a+9 =18
Eq 2: -(2a+9)=18
Eq 1 gives you a=9/2
Eq 2 gives u a=-27/2

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was smiling when I saw the complex roots question :wink:

Dear all, above are the links for all questions.
My job this weekend will be to approximate some UMS conversions for you, and you will receive a tag for that.
You will also get another tag once I've structured out a mark scheme for each of these, based on previous questions, which will come in a spoiler below each question.
If you haven't done the exam and are wondering why you've been tagged, it's because you've posted in this thread.:smile:

Spoiler

You can also find a complete set of worked solutions in pdf form in my post here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4631564&p=71561022&page=18#post71561022
Original post by 04MR17
Question 5 Matrices
A=[p23p]A= \begin{bmatrix} p & 2 \\ 3 & p \end{bmatrix} , B=[5465]B= \begin{bmatrix} -5 & 4 \\ 6 & -5 \end{bmatrix}
(a) Find AB
A=[(5p12)(4p10)(156p)(125p)]A= \begin{bmatrix} (5p-12) & (4p-10) \\ (15-6p) & (12-5p) \end{bmatrix} (2)

AB+2A=kIAB + 2A = kI
find kk and pp
(b) p=32p=\frac{3}{2} , k=152k = \frac{15}{2} (4)

ii) a=92a=\frac{9}{2} and 272\frac{-27}{2}[5]
I agree with everything other than (a) - shouldn't the top left hand corner of AB be (12 - 5p) and the bottom left be (6p - 15)?
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
I agree with everything other than (a) - shouldn't the top left hand corner of AB be (12 - 5p) and the bottom left be (6p - 15)?

Yep, quite right. See my worked solutions which AFAIK are fully correct. Link in post above.
Original post by webb-tom2
Does anyone remember what question 2b asked for? I think I misread it in the exam and I've definitely lost the three marks, just want to see it again to see what I did wrong

2b told you that AB = P and then asked you to find B. So you simply applied the inverse of A to P to get B. See my worked solutions.
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
:yep: Edited now. Thanks. I got that question wrong in the exam because I foolishly did -12-5p etc. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending