The Student Room Group

2017 Law unit 2 aqa unofficial markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Dinahiwo
No I put Section 47 Offences Against ThePerson Act 1861 when defining assault and battery and Johns actus reuse and mens rea. Is that okay?x

No unfortunately not. The offences for battery and assault are under a completely different act so you would not get the mark. However this is only one mark and the examiner will understand that you just got the statue confused. Dont worry about it!!
Original post by new1234
No unfortunately not. The offences for battery and assault are under a completely different act so you would not get the mark. However this is only one mark and the examiner will understand that you just got the statue confused. Dont worry about it!!

Oh so the whole naming the appropriate act is one marker? I defined assault and battery
Reply 62
Original post by Dinahiwo
Oh so the whole naming the appropriate act is one marker? I defined assault and battery

To be honest a single part does not constitute as one mark. The whole thing must reach all the potential content for sound and then you would get the marks. It is difficult to tell whether you would not get a mark or would but naming the wrong act would indicate a lack of sound understanding. However if this is the only thing you got wrong the examiner may write it off and give you the full marks anyway. Who knows ? Wouldnt worry if I were you, the max you would lose for this is a mark anyways.
Reply 63
Can someone tell me whether they concluded either of the damage too remote in the Tort section??????
Reply 64
about the question regarding the types of sentencing available I've written about aims of sentencing but have mentioned about fines, custodial sentences, community orders and rehabilitation orders. what possible marks may i have scrapped if any ?
Original post by new1234
Can someone tell me whether they concluded either of the damage too remote in the Tort section??????

I included causation in fact and damages being too remote!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by rebeccael28
I included causation in fact and damages being too remote!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no way. Howcomes you found it remote? Did you find it not foreseeable?? Ahh kinda worried now as I said they were both not too remote as they were both foreseeable despite the method of damage being unusual.
Original post by new1234
To be honest a single part does not constitute as one mark. The whole thing must reach all the potential content for sound and then you would get the marks. It is difficult to tell whether you would not get a mark or would but naming the wrong act would indicate a lack of sound understanding. However if this is the only thing you got wrong the examiner may write it off and give you the full marks anyway. Who knows ? Wouldnt worry if I were you, the max you would lose for this is a mark anyways.

No, that's not necessarily true. I've taken unit two previously and when I tell you I knew literally nothing for that exam, I was not kidding. I wrote the most basic of things, saying things such as assault is when V is afraid, not stating any Acts or the names of the offenses. I did fail the module of course but when looking at my UMS points, regarding my grades I was shocked to see that marks were awarded. Definitely more than I had expected since I freestyled the entire paper and hadn't learned the module back then. It's positive marking meaning you are awarded marks for stated points, even if it's as small as stating causation includes factual and legal causation. So mentioning the correct mens rea for example, though the actus reus is incorrect would allocate marks. It wouldn't, however, reach band 5.
Original post by new1234
Oh no way. Howcomes you found it remote? Did you find it not foreseeable?? Ahh kinda worried now as I said they were both not too remote as they were both foreseeable despite the method of damage being unusual.

You shouldn't worry. The mark schemes are very flexible and usually allow more than one answer concerning conclusions that student's make.
If it helps, even if you don't answer a 10 marker question, together with a 5 marker question so you lose 15 marks yet you smashed everything else, that's still and A grade.
As I ran out of time I didn't get to write a conclusion as to whether it was remote or not but I did include all elements, will this affect my mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For question 08 (second question on Section B) I referred to the case of Paris v Stepney BC as 'Smith v Stepney BC' (I guess because of pressure due to time constraints). I correctly explained to details of the case when demonstrating the legal principle though. Would the mark not be awarded because of this minor confusion/error in the name of the case?
Help I didn't write about the thin skull rule in causation but I wrote everything else with case presidence and even mentioned a natural but unpredictable event, also I'm not sure if I wrote legal causation was the operating and substantial cause will I lose marks? It's clear that I know it as I wrote legal causation 💔 Will I not get full marks? Also for Pia I didn't really put any Case presidence ugh I just realised now using Savage you couldn't say he was reckless but I analysed the case study and said it was a battery that caused ABH !!
Reply 73
For the 'outline the rules relating to causation and remoteness of damage and discuss whether it applies to Debbie and Martin's losses' I outlined causation, Wagon Mound, Bradford v Robinson Rentals, and Thin Skull Rule; but I only applied causation & WM. Is this likely to lose any marks? I said that it wouldn't have happened 'but for' .... and that it was reasonably foreseeable that someone's negligent work fitting wheels .... and then concluded that both damage not too remote, but didn't talk about method of damage because nothing in the scenario mentioned anything unusual. lol I really want full UMS and don't know if I have a chance.
Reply 74
Original post by Cherry82
No, that's not necessarily true. I've taken unit two previously and when I tell you I knew literally nothing for that exam, I was not kidding. I wrote the most basic of things, saying things such as assault is when V is afraid, not stating any Acts or the names of the offenses. I did fail the module of course but when looking at my UMS points, regarding my grades I was shocked to see that marks were awarded. Definitely more than I had expected since I freestyled the entire paper and hadn't learned the module back then. It's positive marking meaning you are awarded marks for stated points, even if it's as small as stating causation includes factual and legal causation. So mentioning the correct mens rea for example, though the actus reus is incorrect would allocate marks. It wouldn't, however, reach band 5.

Yeah meaning it would not reach sound. So if someone states the wrong act they are not picking up a mark as others who have stated the correct act may. So they are technically not gaining a mark/reaching sound understanding.
Reply 75
Original post by rdlewiss
As I ran out of time I didn't get to write a conclusion as to whether it was remote or not but I did include all elements, will this affect my mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noo dont think it will be detrimental to your mark. You probably wont pick up max one mark but even that is unlikely. As long as your conclusion could be interpreted from your answer I'm sure it will be fine.
Reply 76
Original post by Cherry82
If it helps, even if you don't answer a 10 marker question, together with a 5 marker question so you lose 15 marks yet you smashed everything else, that's still and A grade.

I messed up Unit 1 so i wanted a high A.
Reply 77
Original post by Albanian Wizard
For question 08 (second question on Section B) I referred to the case of Paris v Stepney BC as 'Smith v Stepney BC' (I guess because of pressure due to time constraints). I correctly explained to details of the case when demonstrating the legal principle though. Would the mark not be awarded because of this minor confusion/error in the name of the case?

At the examiner's discretion I believe. Whether they can understand what case you meant will determine whether you gain a mark.
Reply 78
Original post by abbieayinde
Help I didn't write about the thin skull rule in causation but I wrote everything else with case presidence and even mentioned a natural but unpredictable event, also I'm not sure if I wrote legal causation was the operating and substantial cause will I lose marks? It's clear that I know it as I wrote legal causation 💔 Will I not get full marks? Also for Pia I didn't really put any Case presidence ugh I just realised now using Savage you couldn't say he was reckless but I analysed the case study and said it was a battery that caused ABH !!

I did not write about the thin skull rule either. I wrote about medical negligence and the victims own act. You do not need to write about everything to gain full marks dont worry!!
I said it was a battery that caused ABH too and I used Savage so not to worry. Savage does apply for this scenario you used the right case.
Reply 79
Original post by _Joe24_
For the 'outline the rules relating to causation and remoteness of damage and discuss whether it applies to Debbie and Martin's losses' I outlined causation, Wagon Mound, Bradford v Robinson Rentals, and Thin Skull Rule; but I only applied causation & WM. Is this likely to lose any marks? I said that it wouldn't have happened 'but for' .... and that it was reasonably foreseeable that someone's negligent work fitting wheels .... and then concluded that both damage not too remote, but didn't talk about method of damage because nothing in the scenario mentioned anything unusual. lol I really want full UMS and don't know if I have a chance.

It was 8 marks wasnt it? You included factual causation, you included foreseeability and the effect this has on remoteness and you used relevant cases. You should be fine and it sounds like a sound answer to me. Remember you don't know where they might cap the ums so you could lose one raw mark but still come out with full ums. To be honest I only included the method of damage being unusual coz my answer looked to short and a wheel coming off a car and hitting a greenhouse is a little weirder than normal. I doubt this actually picked up marks for me and I was just trying to make my answer a little longer! Dont worry. You should be fine!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending