The Student Room Group

Choice between French and Geography A-level

I am currently doing my IGCSE' exams and in the process of choosing my A- Level options. I have a strong interest in studying Human Sciences / Psychology at University and have chosen Psychology and Biology A-levels and was keen on choosing French and Geography as I am predicted A*/A in both subjects, however, I am unable to choose both for my Alevels because my school option blocks does not satisfy both so I am left to choose either one. I am extremely passionate about French and have always loved learning the language which is why I want to continue with this subject for the next two years but I have been advised that Geography is more accepted at Universities due to the fact that its skill and knowledge based whereas French is only memory and skill. Please share any advice and info is appreciated. Thanks! :-)
Original post by Douaasultan1
I am currently doing my IGCSE' exams and in the process of choosing my A- Level options. I have a strong interest in studying Human Sciences / Psychology at University and have chosen Psychology and Biology A-levels and was keen on choosing French and Geography as I am predicted A*/A in both subjects, however, I am unable to choose both for my Alevels because my school option blocks does not satisfy both so I am left to choose either one. I am extremely passionate about French and have always loved learning the language which is why I want to continue with this subject for the next two years but I have been advised that Geography is more accepted at Universities due to the fact that its skill and knowledge based whereas French is only memory and skill. Please share any advice and info is appreciated. Thanks! :-)

Geography is defintely easier I've heard french is really hard so in my opinion geography is the one to go with
Original post by Douaasultan1

I do french A level. We have to drop one after AS, and I really dislike french, so I am dropping it. However, I liked GCSE.

You continue to learn (on my course anyway) what I consider boring topics: culture (but not in depth), family, volunteering, music, cinema and cyber-society. I find them dreadfully boring, We also study a film for AS which I enjoy more, and I love love love learning about the french language and grammar - That's an outline of the course if you were intrigued (for AS - for A2 you do 6 slightly more challenging subjects and some french literature). Personally, I think that if you love french and what i just said appeals to you, you should choose that.

Depends on what unis you hope to apply to, but generally French is much much better regarded if you are going to do theory at uni - in fact geography is generally seen as a lower tier A level unless you want to do something related (like human sciences/economics/geography/geology) - that's what I have heard though. If there is a specific uni you like the look of, email their admissions officer (look on the course website) and ask them which they would prefer. Overall though, geography seems more in line with your other two subjects. Of course, one could argue that it's good to have a "contrasting" subject. I'm not sure how true this really is in terms of uni, but i know that a lot of people really enjoy having a contrasting subject.

I would say choose whichever you would prefer.

p.s French is a LOT of work throughout the year, but it's not too hard as an exam. The best way for me to explain is that it's reasonably easy to get to a decent mark, but very hard to get a good mark, if that makes sense. By contrast, I hear that geography is a lot more variable.
(edited 6 years ago)
Coming from a first year Geography student, I'm probably going to be a little bit biased and say do Geography!! Honestly, it is such a great course to do, it allows you to build upon the knowledge you have from IGCSE, but also gives yourself a lot more freedom with regards to whether you want to focus upon more physical or human topics within examinations. There is also the chances for fieldwork, which were some of the best memories of A Level Geography for me!! Geography does tend to be a mix of essay and short answer questions, meaning that it can be easier to climb up grade boundaries when compared to some other subjects. However, I massively disagree with the fact that Geography is more accepted than French, I'd say they are both on an equal level. Based on your other subjects, both of which I did, I'd say if you're looking at sciences within the future and that's where your passion lies then go with Geography. If you're wanting a little bit more of a mix then go with French. Regardless of which you pick, they're both excellent choices and I'm sure you'll have a great 2 years at A-Level. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by arichards_
Coming from a first year Geography student, I'm probably going to be a little bit biased and say do Geography!! Honestly, it is such a great course to do, it allows you to build upon the knowledge you have from IGCSE, but also gives yourself a lot more freedom with regards to whether you want to focus upon more physical or human topics within examinations. There is also the chances for fieldwork, which were some of the best memories of A Level Geography for me!! Geography does tend to be a mix of essay and short answer questions, meaning that it can be easier to climb up grade boundaries when compared to some other subjects. However, I massively disagree with the fact that Geography is more accepted than French, I'd say they are both on an equal level. Based on your other subjects, both of which I did, I'd say if you're looking at sciences within the future and that's where your passion lies then go with Geography. If you're wanting a little bit more of a mix then go with French. Regardless of which you pick, they're both excellent choices and I'm sure you'll have a great 2 years at A-Level. :smile:

Thank you so so so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate hearing your advice :-)
Reply 5
Original post by Martins1
I do french A level. We have to drop one after AS, and I really dislike french, so I am dropping it. However, I liked GCSE.

You continue to learn (on my course anyway) what I consider boring topics: culture (but not in depth), family, volunteering, music, cinema and cyber-society. I find them dreadfully boring, We also study a film for AS which I enjoy more, and I love love love learning about the french language and grammar - That's an outline of the course if you were intrigued (for AS - for A2 you do 6 slightly more challenging subjects and some french literature). Personally, I think that if you love french and what i just said appeals to you, you should choose that.

Depends on what unis you hope to apply to, but generally French is much much better regarded if you are going to do theory at uni - in fact geography is generally seen as a lower tier A level unless you want to do something related (like human sciences/economics/geography/geology) - that's what I have heard though. If there is a specific uni you like the look of, email their admissions officer (look on the course website) and ask them which they would prefer. Overall though, geography seems more in line with your other two subjects. Of course, one could argue that it's good to have a "contrasting" subject. I'm not sure how true this really is in terms of uni, but i know that a lot of people really enjoy having a contrasting subject.

I would say choose whichever you would prefer.

p.s French is a LOT of work throughout the year, but it's not too hard as an exam. The best way for me to explain is that it's reasonably easy to get to a decent mark, but very hard to get a good mark, if that makes sense. By contrast, I hear that geography is a lot more variable.

Thank you so much for the advice. It's nice to hear from someone who has experience, really appreciate it :-)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous061299
Geography is defintely easier I've heard french is really hard so in my opinion geography is the one to go with

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest