The Student Room Group

Camembert baked in the box - have you done/eaten it?

I've been thinking about this today...

Having looked on the net, not sure which would be better...

1. Sprinkled with chilli flakes, salt and pepper with a drizzle of olive oil before baking or...

2. Make little incisions with a knife and insert some garlic and rosemary, topped with a drizzle of olive oil before baking...

Also, I'm not sure if it would be better with an Italian ciabatta or a French baguette...

And, toasted or plain - phew, it's turning into a big 'mass debate' deal (in my head) now...:angry:

Any feedback on your experiences/thoughts appreciated - thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drez999

Difficult! I feel your pain. I'd go with the first as I feel the garlic and rosemary may overpower the camberbert or generally make the whole thing too strong. And definitely toasted!
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Difficult! I feel your pain. I'd go with the first as I feel the garlic and rosemary may overpower the camberbert or generally make the whole thing too strong. And definitely toasted!

Hmm, therein lies my problem - I am a garlic lover! (Single guy) :colondollar:

If the garlic was cut into thin slivers do you think it would detract from the taste of the cheese?

Thanks for your input :smile:
Original post by Drez999
Hmm, therein lies my problem - I am a garlic lover! (Single guy) :colondollar:

If the garlic was cut into thin slivers do you think it would detract from the taste of the cheese?

Thanks for your input :smile:

I think it depends on how much garlic you put in there rather than how big the slivers are as the garlic will hopefully permeate the cheese either way.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
I think it depends on how much garlic you put in there rather than how big the slivers are as the garlic will hopefully permeate the cheese either way.

QED :u:
Don't soil the perfect cheese with your unnatural additions.

A simple fresh baguette will do.
Reply 6
First one sounds good. Although i found camembert a bit sickly and stinky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh, with chilli flakes! I wouldn't add the salt and pepper though. Not a fan of salt myself, and the cheese doesn't need over-flavouring. Definitely want to try this though :biggrin:
Original post by Drez999
I've been thinking about this today...

Having looked on the net, not sure which would be better...

1. Sprinkled with chilli flakes, salt and pepper with a drizzle of olive oil before baking or...

2. Make little incisions with a knife and insert some garlic and rosemary, topped with a drizzle of olive oil before baking...

Also, I'm not sure if it would be better with an Italian ciabatta or a French baguette...

And, toasted or plain - phew, it's turning into a big 'mass debate' deal (in my head) now...:angry:

Any feedback on your experiences/thoughts appreciated - thanks :smile:

I think if you get a good quality camembert, rather than a supermarket quality one, you should just let the cheese speak for itself. Ciabatta would be totally wrong - a crusty baguette would be perfect. A good sparkling normandy cider or, even better, champagne is a perfect accompaniment.
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
I think if you get a good quality camembert, rather than a supermarket quality one, you should just let the cheese speak for itself. Ciabatta would be totally wrong - a crusty baguette would be perfect. A good sparkling normandy cider or, even better, champagne is a perfect accompaniment.

Champagne? That's both a little out of my league and budget!

I am more likely to have a cloudy farm-produced scrumpy cider :smile:
Original post by Drez999

Then treat yourself to some Old Rosie.
Original post by Drez999

A cider will work just fine then (save the fizz for a special lunch). A good quality box-baked camembert, some good normandy cider (I sure Old Rosie would work as well) and crusty baguette is a great pleasure. Very simple, very elegant, not remotely fussy or elaborate and a great example of the harmony of terroir. I think I might have this for supper tomorrow.
even better, champagne is a perfect accompaniment.

Out of interest, what champagne would you go for?
Original post by Meany Pie
Out of interest, what champagne would you go for?

I think something a little bit 'biscuity' and certainly full. Maybe a NV Bollinger, or Billecart-Salmon. Possibly even a bog standard glass of the Widow.
Reply 14
A cider will work just fine then (save the fizz for a special lunch). A good quality box-baked camembert, some good normandy cider (I sure Old Rosie would work as well) and crusty baguette is a great pleasure. Very simple, very elegant, not remotely fussy or elaborate and a great example of the harmony of terroir. I think I might have this for supper tomorrow.

Hmm, now I am getting excited...

If you do have it tomorrow please update on here as to the enjoyable rating and a picture if possible :smile:

Hmm why do you think ciabatta is wrong?
Original post by Drez999
Hmm, now I am getting excited...

If you do have it tomorrow please update on here as to the enjoyable rating and a picture if possible :smile:

Yes, of course! This will be dependent on my finding a decent cheese to bake of course so maybe I'll have a little look in our local fromagerie or, failing that, Paxton and Whitfield.
I think something a little bit 'biscuity' and certainly full. Maybe a NV Bollinger, or Billecart-Salmon. Possibly even a bog standard glass of the Widow.

You are a classy gentleman with quite the booze budget :hat:

I want to come to your parties
Original post by Meany Pie
You are a classy gentleman with quite the booze budget :hat:

I want to come to your parties

They start elegantly and end debaucherously. :colone:
Original post by hezzlington
Hmm why do you think ciabatta is wrong?

1. Texture. The soft, airy texture of a good ciabatta just doesn't work with the melting texture of a baked camembert. There isn't enough contrast - hence why I think you need the sharp, crustiness of a fresh baguette.

2. Ciabatta has far too much of a pronounced olive oil taste (or at least it should have) which jars with the camembert flavour and detracts from it. The baguette is neutral by comparison.

Quick Reply

Latest