The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Piers Morgan asking whether he could identify as an elephant

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Haddock
I do know that gender dysphoria exists

It certainly does... it's listed in the DSM and ICD.

Mental disorder innit?
Original post by l'etranger
Just as the Bible may not be the word of God, medical professionals are not infallible.

This is technically correct but a really stupid point.
Original post by constantine2016
These people didn't have to come on his ****-ass show but they did.

That's kinda the point, it's not exactly his show but it may as well be. He is the host and can treat them as he likes!
Original post by LauraBMS
There will always be people who try to abuse systems set up to help people, it doesn't mean that system shouldn't exist, just that it should be regulated.

I am referring to the hateful comments I see on the internet (of which there are many), outrage and ridiculing of people who are transgender or gender fluid etc, for no other reason than these people live their lives in a way which doesn't align with other peoples' black and white view of the world. You don't need to understand why someone feels they way they feel or does the things they do to be able to show them respect and treat them with kindness.

Of course, I don't advocate being rude to someone just for the fact that they choose to live their lives in a different way. Their business is their business.

However, when I say it's "their business" and "their choice" I think that applies in all cases, meaning it cannot become the rest of society's responsibility to go out of their way to accommodate that choice.
I'm glad someone finally said it.

The gender / sex identification thing is really getting out of hand. The government need to shut that **** down asap. Next thing you know you'll be having apache helicopters everywhere.
Original post by Dandaman1
Society shouldn't also be expected to play along with what are essentially delusions and made up words. Again, it's opening Pandora's box. Where do we draw the line?

Piers is probably one of the first public figures I can think of to stand up against this, maybe that's a good start. Wonder who will be next?

Original post by EternalLight

The gender / sex identification thing is really getting out of hand. The government need to shut that **** down asap.

Hopefully Piers is just the first of many!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by E102
It doesn't affect me that's why I'm defending them being mocked on television.. trying to be a different species is something different from trying to be a different gender

if it doesnt' bother you, then why are you defending them online? did they pay you? are you their pr?

you make no logical sense. "it doesn't affect me" true. i agree with this. it doesn't affect you. correct.

"that's why i'm defending them" this is where i'm saying you make no sense. nobody made you their Pr rep. therefore, i don't understand where you get this idea that defending strangers to another bunch of strangers somehow justifies the existence of your opinions on the matter.

"trying to be a different species is something different from trying to be a different gender" << HA! tell that to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o368965hr4k

those guys also want to be recognised... who are you to tell them otherwise?

^^(random example i just googled within 10mins about people who genuinely believe they are allowed to be trans-species; you could find a lot more with more time).

my point is; once again, NO BODY MADE YOU A SPOKESPERSON TO ALLOW YOU TO MOVE THE GOAL POSTS ABOUT WHAT IS RIDICULOUS OR WHAT ISNT!

"trying to be a different species is something different from trying to be a different gender" << lastly, is an owl and a fox a different species or a different gender?
Original post by Captain Haddock
The casual mockery of transpeople on the internet really needs to **** off already. These are people with a universally recognised medical condition. You can argue all day about whether it's a mental health problem or if they literally are a member of the gender they identify with, but these are people who need help, who face open scorn and derision on a daily basis, and are victims of an appallingly high suicide rate. Yet people think it's totally ok to disregard the wealth of scientific and medical research on the topic and reduce a serious issue to "LOL elephants" "LOL attack helicopters". You're not funny. You're not original. You are ****ing filth.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Even if one is not familiar with the medical literature on this topic, there is absolutely no justification for bullying and mocking the LGBTQ+ community.

The slippery slope nonsense here reminds me how many opponents to gay rights contend that homosexuality is deviant and that allowing gay marriage will lead to the normalisation of bestiality next! It's pathetic.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by theDanIdentity
if it doesnt' bother you, then why are you defending them online? did they pay you? are you their pr?

you make no logical sense. "it doesn't affect me" true. i agree with this. it doesn't affect you. correct.

"that's why i'm defending them" this is where i'm saying you make no sense. nobody made you their Pr rep. therefore, i don't understand where you get this idea that defending strangers to another bunch of strangers somehow justifies the existence of your opinions on the matter.

"trying to be a different species is something different from trying to be a different gender" << HA! tell that to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o368965hr4k

those guys also want to be recognised... who are you to tell them otherwise?

^^(random example i just googled within 10mins about people who genuinely believe they are allowed to be trans-species; you could find a lot more with more time).

my point is; once again, NO BODY MADE YOU A SPOKESPERSON TO ALLOW YOU TO MOVE THE GOAL POSTS ABOUT WHAT IS RIDICULOUS OR WHAT ISNT!

"trying to be a different species is something different from trying to be a different gender" << lastly, is an owl and a fox a different species or a different gender?

Its called respect and equality sweetie, have a good night!
Original post by E102
something something something

Original post by theDanIdentity

I have been wondering this myself...

Why are you so strongly defending them? Are you one of those non-specified/non-recognised identities?

Original post by E102
These people?

Yes, "these people" since I don't know what exactly to identify them as. I'm not sure they even know themselves.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dima-Blackburn

The slippery slope nonsense here reminds me how many opponents to gay rights contend that homosexuality is deviant and that allowing gay marriage will lead to the normalisation of bestiality next! It's pathetic.

If/when that happens then it is already too late!
Original post by Det.Hartigan
If/when that happens then it is already too late!

Your username seems awfully familiar. Were you banned last year?
Yes; it's the logical conclusion of the "non-binary" bs. Honestly, those sort of people made it very easy for Trump to win - most are really sick of this nonsense.
It certainly does... it's listed in the DSM and ICD.

Mental disorder innit?

What does that prove? The definitions of psychiatric illness/conditions are often very vague and subjective. They keep changing, which indicates that the "professionals" don't really have a clue.
Original post by YaliaV
The definitions of psychiatric illness/conditions are often very vague and subjective. They keep changing, which indicates that the "professionals" don't really have a clue.

Not really so. The DSM and ICD seem to be defined according to the changes taking place in society. Society keeps changing, which means that so do the DSM and ICD.
Not really so. The DSM and ICD seem to be defined according to the changes taking place in society. Society keeps changing, which means that so do the DSM and ICD.

Which means it's a lot like a social science in ways.
Original post by offhegoes
I didn't have much of an issue with non-binary labels, but I've totally changed my mind now that you've raised the possibility of having too many options on a future drop-down box. Their struggle to understand their gender identity is not worth the perpetual struggles you've highlighted that we might have to contend with in the future.

It's good to know that minds sometimes can be changed by online discussions :thumbsup:
Original post by GonvilleBromhead

If you can be not a man or a woman it logically follows you can - as they argue - be neither or both. If you're neither then what do you identify as? That gap can be filled by literally anything - including elephant.

YES OMG YES OMG

Original post by Underscore__
But if you can say he can't identify as an elephant or a black woman because he is neither of those things I can just as easily say a man can't identify as a woman and vice versa. He's mocking them because what their talking about is nonsense. You're born with a penis or a vagina, that genitalia in no way dictates the way in which you have to act. You can be a man and like make up just as you can be a woman and like cage fighting. People should stop trying to create new labels for things and just live the way they want to live.
Posted from TSR Mobile

YEEES OMG YES

YES

I CANT EVEN COMMENT CAUSE BOTH OF THOSE WERE SO PERFECT^^^^

OMFDS YES YES YES I WILL PREACH THIS TILL THE DAY I DIE

IF I CAN BE A WOMAN BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE, THEN WHAT IS LEGITIMATELY STOPPING ME FROM BEING A GIRAFFE??

OR ARE YOU DENYING FURRIES THEIR RIGHTS TOO?

IF I CAN CHANGE MY GENDER?? WHY NOT MY AGE?? WHY NOT MY RACE???? WHY NOT MY GODDAMNED SPECIES???

IM A 782 YEAR OLD CHINESE TORTOISE THAT IS ATTRACTED TO FIDGET SPINNERS

IF I '"FEEL COMFORTABLE" IDENTIFYING AS THAT THEN WHO ARE YOU TO STOP ME

I'm so sorry for the caps but this is something I've wanted to say ever since I heard of 'non-binary'.

What can be changed? Who draws the line? Can anyone literally choose and demand to be recognized as anything? If it sounds silly to you then please sympathize and realise it sounds silly to me and anyone else who opposes this.

The whole idea behind being trans is wanting to fit into a stereotype which ironically some of the very same people have tried to remove.

"Men shouldn't have to be manly."
"Women shouldn't have to wear make up."

"I want to be a man because I feel manly."
"I want to be a woman because I like wearing make up."

Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
That's kinda the point, it's not exactly his show but it may as well be. He is the host and can treat them as he likes!

Good hosts actually listen to their guests rather than constantly interrupt and talk over them. An example of a good host is someone like Jon Stewart. Even when he disagreed with a guest he always let them speak rather than talk over them and put forward his own views.

You are wrong. You can't go around treating people how you like. That is why we have laws against hate speech.

Quick Reply

Latest