The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is America bashing so popular among the Brits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jirga
China is no way near the US :laugh:

It does have a lot to do with the average person's intelligence, what a stupid thing to say. Britain also won ww2.

It has mothing to do with the average person's intelligence if the country's generals make better decisions or if the country simply has more manpower etc. What a moronic thing to suggest. Only intelligence that matters is the intelligence of the country's leaders/military generals etc in these situations.

Britain was also in the winning side but in a vastly worse condition post war, please read up on basic history.
Reply 61
Original post by babsxox
he's still being super annoying im disappointed

"I can't refute his point he's so annoying"
Reply 62
Original post by Thomazo
It has mothing to do with the average person's intelligence if the country's generals make better decisions or if the country simply has more manpower etc. What a moronic thing to suggest. Only intelligence that matters is the intelligence of the country's leaders/military generals etc in these situations.

Britain was also in the winning side but in a vastly worse condition post war, please read up on basic history.

The top brass' intelligence is linked with the educational abilities of the whole nation. If you think the average IQ of a country is irrelevant you are an imbecile.

Where did I say it wasn't?
Original post by Jirga
The top brass' intelligence is linked with the educational abilities of the whole nation. If you think the average IQ of a country is irrelevant you are an imbecile.

Where did I say it wasn't?

The top brass' intelligence has no correlation between the educational abilities of the whole nation.

With your logic, Russians should have been the second most intelligent people in the world in the 1900s. And at the moment the Chinese should be the second most intelligent country in the world. I hope that I won't have to prove to you why this is clearly not the case.

The US education system is objectively terrible, sometimes cited as the worst education system in the world(although I think this is an exaggeration). For instance, our school has an American exchange student and he often talks about how the US education system is backward and it pales in comparison with our (Finnish) system.

A nation's education system is the factor that correlates with a nation's intelligence, not its position as a 'superpower'. The US higher education is world class, but only a minority complete a degree and you only have the opportunity for that if you have money for it. So the average American will have been educated in a system that is vastly inferior to most European education.

"Why can ignorant, stupid bullies succeed in getting the lunch money of weaker, more intelligent kids? Is it education that gives the bullies their advantage? You spread enough of your people around the globe with big guns, and you stick your nose into the military actions of just about everyone else, and you present yourself as the biggest consumers on the planet... and you get pretty powerful."

https://www.quora.com/If-the-USA-has-one-of-the-worst-education-systems-in-the-world-how-come-it-is-the-most-powerful-country-in-the-world

United States has the worst IQ out of any western country.
Original post by Jirga

@l'etranger thoughts to op?

It's the same sort of thinking which leads male nerds who are unattractive and demure to make up reasons why tall, handsome men are secretly unhappy.

''hehe he's stupid, id hate to be that ignorant''

''he only lifts weights and chases women because he has small benis syndrome''

''wen hes working in mcdonalds and im on a top graduate program all the wimmin will want me, ill get my revenge''

Lol nope

Middle class American life is so much better than life here, the top American universities totally blow the best British ones out of the water in every respect except for history. The second half of the last century up until now has been total humiliation for Europe.
Original post by Thomazo
The top brass' intelligence has no correlation between the educational abilities of the whole nation.

For normal distributions, small differences in means generally leads to extremely pronounced differences at the extremities once you go above or below two or three standard deviations. Literally the opposite to what you're saying is true, small differences between the educational abilities of two normally distributed populations will become more obvious when you compare the most extreme subsets of the two respective populations.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Thomazo
http://www.businessinsider.com/americans-vs-british-creationism-or-evolution-2014-11?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

An average European is vastly more intelligent than the average American.

Now leave.

the average America person has same IQ as a European with 100. I going to America again this year and have America friends. I never meet America without strong work ethic most people work a least 3 jobs a week. They could teach British people a lot about work ethic.

My cousin live in America with his America wife who got PHD in education was shook when he got a job in IT in America. The pay half what he get in Britain and he had to do twice as many hours.
Original post by looloo2134
the average America person has same IQ as a European with 100. I going to America again this year and have America friends. I never meet America without strong work ethic most people work a least 3 jobs a week. They could teach British people a lot about work ethic.

My cousin live in America with his America wife who got PHD in education was shook when he got a job in IT in America. The pay half what he get in Britain and he had to do twice as many hours.

I disagree with part of this. Brits are extremely hardworking, more so than any other Europeans, but Americans are so extreme they work even harder than we do. Anglo culture is extremely industrious and the rest of the world knows it. I would say that America rewards hard work more because the average American earns a lot more than any other country excluding weird financial centres which are skewed by their small populations and the fact high networth individuals congregate there.

In America you work hard and you get a detached house surrounded by a nice white picket fence and a Cadillac parked on your double garage, here you work hard and most people will still have to choose between a pokey terrace house in the suburbs or a tiny bedsit flat in the city.
(edited 6 years ago)
The best way to compare Britain with America is to compare Doctor Who with an American TV series which has a production cost which would compare with a Hollywood blockbuster. Brits always wimper on about ''Ohhh doctor who is good innit, those daleks are so scary you'd fink their real i jump behind the sofa whenever they come on.''

It's just crappy.
Original post by l'etranger
For normal distributions, small differences in means generally leads to extremely pronounced differences at the extremities once you go above or below two or three standard deviations. Literally the opposite to what you're saying is true, small differences between the educational abilities of two normally distributed populations will become more obvious when you compare the most extreme subsets of the two respective populations.

You're talcing about something very theoretical. This could be true, but it doesn't apply to the situation at hand.

America is a superpower because it happened to have leaders and military generals that made better decisions than the respective leaders and generals of their enemies at the time. This doesn't mean that the top 1% of Americans is vastly more intelligent than the top 1% of some other country. It doesn't even mean that those people were more intelligent in the general sense. And we can't even assume that those people belong to the extreme end. And they only represent a few dozen people out of 300+ million, so even if it were the case that they were more intelligent than their counterparts elsewehere, the sample size of the "extreme end" is way too small.

Furthermore, we cannot examine the top end and then directly make assumptions about the general population based on theory, as in practice the top 10%, 1% or whatever have university degrees and the average population doesn't. And it's objectively true that the American education system is terrible, apart from tertiary education which is world class. So, if you get a uni degree in America you will most likely be smart, if you don't, you'll end up being dumb by Western standards.

No it doesn't.

Hard work has little to do with intelligence.
Original post by OperationTalpiot
Its completely unjustified, I mean these people are practically identical to us by blood and language. Is it just yet another symptom of a lowest common denominator society; one fully committed to a moral race to the bottom. Very typical of left wing comedians who dominate popular culture to make snide jabs at the US.

We often exaggerate differences, and, without the history of how they occurred, they can seem odd, or even funny.

Do you realise who is the current President of the US? If it weren't so dangerous, it'd be very, very funny.

Surely the American tendency for national pride, christian values, family, neighbourhood and free enterprise are all values to aspire to.

Do you know what Christian values are?
Have you seen the healthcare system in the US?

Don't get me wrong, I chose to live in the US, but both the UK and US have big issues. We should laugh at both, once we stop crying.
Original post by Thomazo
No it doesn't.

Hard work has little to do with intelligence.

Hard work has every to with intelligence a person with a IQ 90 is almost incapable of hold down paid employment without support. having a high work ethic means your able to see what you can get through working hard.

the America IQ is the same Britain

https://www.aei.org/publication/is-america-smart-enough-a-qa-with-garett-jones-on-iq-and-the-hive-mind/

I don't want to talk person who xenophobia against America people it you said that white people are less intelligent black people you be called a racist but it ok label a country 380 million people low intelligence . why don't go to America and talk to some America people and learn there history it will be educational for you.
Such a nationalistic, patriotic, low IQ bunch ought to be messed with :biggrin:DD
Reply 74
I think the prime example of why we do it is being displayed in this thread: they take the piss out of us for completely baseless reasons as well, it's just humanity for you.

Those south of the river vs those north, those in london vs those in the south, those in the south vs those in the north, the english vs the scottish, the british vs the europeans, the europeans vs the americans.

People always like to think their area/country/continent is better, and will insult others to try and support it, even if there is no actual real life basis for it.
Hard work has every to with intelligence a person with a IQ 90 is almost incapable of hold down paid employment without support. having a high work ethic means your able to see what you can get through working hard.

the America IQ is the same Britain

https://www.aei.org/publication/is-america-smart-enough-a-qa-with-garett-jones-on-iq-and-the-hive-mind/

I don't want to talk person who xenophobia against America people it you said that white people are less intelligent black people you be called a racist but it ok label a country 380 million people low intelligence . why don't go to America and talk to some America people and learn there history it will be educational for you.

You can work 12 hours a day driving a truck and still think that Earth is flat, believe in a god, not know what an atom is, not know when world war 2 was, not know what 1+1 is and not even be able to write. This person would be hard working but dumb as a donkey. An IQ of 90 would be average on a global scale, are you saying that 50% of the world's population is unable to work? Please show me the data that shows that over 50% of the world is unemployed. That last statement makes no sense and I'm failing to see how it relates to this discussion.

Mate, I'm not going to go ahead and read through some essay that has nothing to do what we are talking about, if you have data that shows that the US has the same intelligence as Europe, please show me. But a simple google search will show that the US has lower IQ levels than any Western European country.

I'm not xenophobic, I'm presenting well-demonstrated facts. I'm not labelling a country with 380m people dumb, I'm labelling the average (non-degree holder) citizen that lives in that country dumb by 21st century western standards as that is demonstrably true.

As a history buff, I know the American history almost inside-out and it's extremely interesting.

Lastly, don't talk to me about education when you can't even type coherent English.
Original post by Thomazo
You can work 12 hours a day driving a truck and still think that Earth is flat, believe in a god, not know what an atom is, not know when world war 2 was, not know what 1+1 is and not even be able to write. This person would be hard working but dumb as a donkey. An IQ of 90 would be average on a global scale, are you saying that 50% of the world's population is unable to work? Please show me the data that shows that over 50% of the world is unemployed. That last statement makes no sense and I'm failing to see how it relates to this discussion.

Mate, I'm not going to go ahead and read through some essay that has nothing to do what we are talking about, if you have data that shows that the US has the same intelligence as Europe, please show me. But a simple google search will show that the US has lower IQ levels than any Western European country.

I'm not xenophobic, I'm presenting well-demonstrated facts. I'm not labelling a country with 380m people dumb, I'm labelling the average (non-degree holder) citizen that lives in that country dumb by 21st century western standards as that is demonstrably true.

As a history buff, I know the American history almost inside-out and it's extremely interesting.

Lastly, don't talk to me about education when you can't even type coherent English.

you are xenophobic 'dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries e,g your xenophobic because your baseless prejudice against America people.

Rushton & Jensen (2005) wrote that, in the United States, self-identified blacks and whites have been the subjects of the greatest number of studies. They stated that the black-white IQ difference is about 15 to 18 points or 1 to 1.1 standard deviations (SDs), which implies that between 11 and 16 percent of the black population have an IQ above 100 (the general population median).

Do not call me mate I am not your friend i would never be friend's with person who think their better than other people. because they were born in America and did not had a degree.

if you read wiki you find that the median IQ is 100 USA the same as people in Western European.

If you look at countries with a median IQ 90 there countries have high crime rate, poor human rights and some times wars.

By the why look in a book not google any one can write what they like on google. A publish book get checked for fact not just option by the why use have not given any facts just option.

You are allow your own option but it does not make it fact.
Reply 77
By the why look in a book not google any one can write what they like on google. A publish book get checked for fact not just option by the why use have not given any facts just option.

Eh? So you agree with everything in The Bell Curve?
you are xenophobic 'dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries e,g your xenophobic because your baseless prejudice against America people.

Rushton & Jensen (2005) wrote that, in the United States, self-identified blacks and whites have been the subjects of the greatest number of studies. They stated that the black-white IQ difference is about 15 to 18 points or 1 to 1.1 standard deviations (SDs), which implies that between 11 and 16 percent of the black population have an IQ above 100 (the general population median).

Do not call me mate I am not your friend i would never be friend's with person who think their better than other people. because they were born in America and did not had a degree.

if you read wiki you find that the median IQ is 100 USA the same as people in Western European.

If you look at countries with a median IQ 90 there countries have high crime rate, poor human rights and some times wars.

You are allow your own option but it does not make it fact.

I'm not xenophobic, my accusations are not baseless, but based on facts. What's so hard to understand? Similarly it wouldn't be xenophobic to say that Cameroonians are less intelligent than Americans because they simply don't have access to education and are living in hostile conditions(note, I don't know if this is really the case) that wouldn't be xenophobic. According to you if you don't assume that all 7 billion people in the world are exactly as smart, you're in some way prejudicial.

Nothing in that quote has anything to do with other countries, they are comparing black people to the US average, which has been standardised so that it's 100. There are no absolute values of IQ so in each test the results are compared to the median value of the population in question and they are standardised so that the median value is 100. The average IQ score in the population is always 100, because that's how it's defined. Any global IQ test you find will show that the US has a lower IQ than any Western European country.

I've never suggested I'm better than someone else in some general sense.

Show me this "wiki" article, I'm not going to read through the entire wikipedia to find something, if you have an article that supports your claims, please show it to me.

"If you look at countries with a median IQ 90 there countries have high crime rate, poor human rights and some times wars. "

What does that have anything to do with anything? United States has one of the high crime rates in the world. I doubt there's any correlation like you suggest, but it's irrelevant to the discussion anyway.

You're literally telling me to go check wikipedia and then you talk to me about the reliability of different sources? You've not referenced a single book yourself.

What I'm stating are facts, not opinions. Please learn the difference.
Original post by OperationTalpiot
Its completely unjustified, I mean these people are practically identical to us by blood and language. Is it just yet another symptom of a lowest common denominator society; one fully committed to a moral race to the bottom. Very typical of left wing comedians who dominate popular culture to make snide jabs at the US.

Surely the American tendency for national pride, christian values, family, neighbourhood and free enterprise are all values to aspire to. Better that than artificial equality between people who are of a totally different race, gender or religion.

That's the thing, it isn't popular it's just left wing up their own arse types that do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending