The Student Room Group

I'm failing at gcses

I really hate these exams. I feel like I'm revising for every exam the night before because I have exams everyday. RE Edexcel unit 1 and 8 were fine. But then I lost at least 10 marks on the AQA C1 chem paper. The worst of all- I revised so much for my AQA Spanish papers but I COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FAILED THEM!!! I really wanted an A* but the listening was impossible. I didn't understand a word. I possibly scraped 5 marks on that paper and definitely lost 12 marks on the reading (looked at the unofficial ms). I feel so stressed and have everyone expecting me to get A*s. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm moaning, I understand there are so many other students going through the same thing. Hopefully, our hard work will pay off.

Scroll to see replies

Your not alone. It seems like a long way but you've just got to think we have 1 week, then a week off then just two more weeks and BAM!, Hell's officially over. And if you have done as bad as you say there are other options. To be honest I can't really tell how well I'm doing because I panic after every test, so I tend not to think about it. Just do your best, thats all anyone could ask of you, and good luck I really hope you do well. :smile:
Your trying your best and that's what counts.
Time spent doing a post mortem is time you could be using revising and gaining extra marks. Do it after the exams you are just letting it damage you. Focus.
once you get to sixth form you realise an A* in RS GCSE means nothing
Original post by ThusDeath
Your not alone. It seems like a long way but you've just got to think we have 1 week, then a week off then just two more weeks and BAM!, Hell's officially over. And if you have done as bad as you say there are other options. To be honest I can't really tell how well I'm doing because I panic after every test, so I tend not to think about it. Just do your best, thats all anyone could ask of you, and good luck I really hope you do well. :smile:

Same, I was panicking in both of my exams and it was annoying because after EVERY exam I would realise what I done wrong. So because of this I was literally beating the hell out of my self-esteem to the point where I had enough of these exams. But am calm now and it feels better, hopefully those thoughts don't come back, where I hate myself.
Reply 6
Original post by RomanaChowdhury
I really hate these exams. I feel like I'm revising for every exam the night before because I have exams everyday. RE Edexcel unit 1 and 8 were fine. But then I lost at least 10 marks on the AQA C1 chem paper. The worst of all- I revised so much for my AQA Spanish papers but I COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FAILED THEM!!! I really wanted an A* but the listening was impossible. I didn't understand a word. I possibly scraped 5 marks on that paper and definitely lost 12 marks on the reading (looked at the unofficial ms). I feel so stressed and have everyone expecting me to get A*s. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm moaning, I understand there are so many other students going through the same thing. Hopefully, our hard work will pay off.

Don't worry about it, you'll always think you've done worse than you have done. I'm also ending up revising for each exam before and am still having pressure put on me to get A*s despite having 50% attendance due to a lengthy hospital visit... For subjects such as science, what you've got to remember is that they're compulsory subjects. Therefore, there will have been lots of people taking it who had no interest and thus not a lot of knowledge. You're clearly bright and at an A* level standard if that's what you're predicted to get. In a couple of years you won't even need to think about these exams! It will all be fine, exam grades don't define you and there's countless oppurtunities and pathways that you can pursue no matter what. You've got this!x

I can tell you now unis do not care about your GCSE's (most of them anyway) just get a minimum of B in maths and english language and decent grades in what you want to pursue at a-level
Original post by muser6483

Exactly, but the thing is that it is pretty easy (touchwood) to get an A* in RE, so if you do well in the subject, but fail in the exam, then it's kind of disappointing, coming from someone who is expected an A*, but screwed the exam.
Reply 9
Not as bad as revising the morning before AS chemistry and Economics exams. Consider yourself lucky
Original post by ThusDeath

Thank you so much! I hope you do extremely well too! Unfortuantely, I chose Product Design GCSE which means I finish 10 days after the majority of people but that gives me that time to just focus on that subject. I really appreciate your comment :h:
Original post by 999tigger
Time spent doing a post mortem is time you could be using revising and gaining extra marks. Do it after the exams you are just letting it damage you. Focus.

You're right, I shouldn't be wasting my time thinking about it but I seem to always compare answers with other people. I'll try to stop doing that, thank you for the advice!
GOOD LUCK! I'm sure you'll do well:smile:
Original post by mo_myc
Not as bad as revising the morning before AS chemistry and Economics exams. Consider yourself lucky

That's the thing, in order to get into my ideal sixth form, I have to get 8 A*s- A's. But you're right tho.
I really hate these exams.

Just don't look back at the exams you've done ... keep looking forward xx
there's no point worrying about the one's you've done because you can't change anything and it's time consuming x
It's much better to just focus on revising the one's you've got coming up ... don't worry too much about the results. If you try your best then there's nothing more you can do :smile: x
Good luck xx
Original post by lucygcse
Don't worry about it, you'll always think you've done worse than you have done. I'm also ending up revising for each exam before and am still having pressure put on me to get A*s despite having 50% attendance due to a lengthy hospital visit... For subjects such as science, what you've got to remember is that they're compulsory subjects. Therefore, there will have been lots of people taking it who had no interest and thus not a lot of knowledge. You're clearly bright and at an A* level standard if that's what you're predicted to get. In a couple of years you won't even need to think about these exams! It will all be fine, exam grades don't define you and there's countless oppurtunities and pathways that you can pursue no matter what. You've got this!x

I hope you are better now, thank you so much for the inspirational comment. I've never thought about science like that, it makes me feel A LOT better! Good luck in your exams and the future :smile:
Original post by abc_123_
Just don't look back at the exams you've done ... keep looking forward xx
there's no point worrying about the one's you've done because you can't change anything and it's time consuming x
It's much better to just focus on revising the one's you've got coming up ... don't worry too much about the results. If you try your best then there's nothing more you can do :smile: x
Good luck xx

Thank you so much:smile: xx
Original post by techcloud14
I can tell you now unis do not care about your GCSE's (most of them anyway) just get a minimum of B in maths and english language and decent grades in what you want to pursue at a-level

I guess so, for now they count but they won't forever. Thanks :smile:
In gcse i got seven c's, three d's (including both English language and literature) and an e in ict but that was because we had like three weeks to learn the whole exam unit plus i am terrible at ict and at my school everyone had to do it. But i am currently doing my AS exams while i am having to redo my english i was still able to do most of the courses i wanted to do. I was not able to do psychology like i wanted but instead i am doing criminology which i love. Grades are not the end of the world. Yes they are helpful to help you get to sixth form or college or a job etc but at the end of the day they are a letter/number they do not define who you are. Yes it can be disappointing on results day if you don't get the grades you want for example i was really hoping for a c in english but i got a d instead. And on results day i did cry because i had not done as well as expected and not able to do the courses i wanted but sometimes life dose not plan out like expected. Don't worry if you don't do as well as you hoped you will still be able to get to where you want to it might just take a little bit more time thats all.

Hope that made sense. I rambled on a bit there.

then you get into uni and realise A lvls dont even help with the course -.-

Quick Reply

Latest