The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BEARichards
Hi guys! My teacher has told me that in the exam we will NOT be asked to calculate standard deviation... but I just heard on the podcast that actually we may be asked to calculate standard deviation without being given the formula and therefore we need to learn the formula... which is true???

I'm pretty sure you will need to know how to do it because the OCR Psych Textbook (the one with a blue butterfly on it) has a detailed part explaining how to do it step by step.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BEARichards
Hi guys! My teacher has told me that in the exam we will NOT be asked to calculate standard deviation... but I just heard on the podcast that actually we may be asked to calculate standard deviation without being given the formula and therefore we need to learn the formula... which is true???

You won't have to learn the formula but you will have to know how to work it out and what each part of the formula means
Does anybody have any techniques for getting all of the studies in their head?

It's just so much information and my teacher is always telling me that I'm not putting enough detail into my responses.
Original post by StressedCoffee
Does anybody have any techniques for getting all of the studies in their head?

It's just so much information and my teacher is always telling me that I'm not putting enough detail into my responses.

Do LOADS of questions & then mark them. Annotate your answers and write where you went wrong and what you were missing.

For just general revision, I've made flashcards to learn the studies, but that method suits me specifically. Do the revision method that works best for you.
Original post by StressedCoffee
Hi, I've been listening to these podcasts in the background when I get ready in the morning, so it's revision without really putting in the effort. They may help.

https://audioboom.com/playlists/1302408-ocr-psychology

thank you for this; i'm finding this really helpful
Reply 85
Original post by MaxKingston1
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any exemplar 15 markers or any techniques you use to answer them? Theyre the only ones I struggle with so any help would be appreciated.

A best way to approach this doing the bullet points one at a time.
Firstly set the scene (only a sentence needed as it not a requirement to get full marks).
All you got to do now is think of A01, A02 and A03.
Firstly you've got to the define the thing you chose (this is A01), so lets say the first bullet point is 'laboratory experiment or field experiment'.... you would write 'In order to investigate .... I will use laboratory experiment. Laboratory experiment is when the Independent variable is manipulated and the Dependent variable is measure, this happens in a highly controlled environment'
Secondly, you would then go into telling the examiner... how exactly you would do that... so write it step by step, so the reader is able to replicate the study without asking you questions (this is A02)...Remember to keep focusing on the bullet point with the context !
Thirdly, you would then link it back to your previous study you have done (this is A03) and this should explain why you chose the method that you chose in the beginning of the para... so for example you would write 'I chose laboratory experiment because in the previous study I had done, I found out that it was very difficult to control extraneous variables when doing a field experiment as the participants natural environment had a lot of extraneous variable that I could not control, which affected the overall study)

Then you do the same with the other bullet points, remember to do it step by step and try not to muddle the bullets points together as that will just confuse you and theexaminer. ALWAYS LINK BACK TO YOUR PREVIOUS STUDY WITH ALL THE BULLET POINTS!
so summarising what I just said...
Each bullet point:
-A01: Defining what you chose
-A02: How you will do it EXACTLY
-A03: Linking it back to the previous study you did
^Same for all the bullet points

Hope that helped :biggrin:
Original post by OshG
A best way to approach this doing the bullet points one at a time.
Firstly set the scene (only a sentence needed as it not a requirement to get full marks).
All you got to do now is think of A01, A02 and A03.
Firstly you've got to the define the thing you chose (this is A01), so lets say the first bullet point is 'laboratory experiment or field experiment'.... you would write 'In order to investigate .... I will use laboratory experiment. Laboratory experiment is when the Independent variable is manipulated and the Dependent variable is measure, this happens in a highly controlled environment'
Secondly, you would then go into telling the examiner... how exactly you would do that... so write it step by step, so the reader is able to replicate the study without asking you questions (this is A02)...Remember to keep focusing on the bullet point with the context !
Thirdly, you would then link it back to your previous study you have done (this is A03) and this should explain why you chose the method that you chose in the beginning of the para... so for example you would write 'I chose laboratory experiment because in the previous study I had done, I found out that it was very difficult to control extraneous variables when doing a field experiment as the participants natural environment had a lot of extraneous variable that I could not control, which affected the overall study)

Then you do the same with the other bullet points, remember to do it step by step and try not to muddle the bullets points together as that will just confuse you and theexaminer. ALWAYS LINK BACK TO YOUR PREVIOUS STUDY WITH ALL THE BULLET POINTS!
so summarising what I just said...
Each bullet point:
-A01: Defining what you chose
-A02: How you will do it EXACTLY
-A03: Linking it back to the previous study you did
^Same for all the bullet points

Hope that helped :biggrin:

This is amazing I've been struggling with this question too! Thank you
wheres the mark scheme at
Just found this thread!
Finished the course on Friday! Now it's revision revision revision
Does anyone want to help me come up with all the similarities and differences between the old and contemporary studies and also between all the areas? I think if we learn these it will help a lot for the core studies exam!
I might make a spreadsheet or something
Also I think we should try and write any practice questions we get given on here so that we can all help each other out, practice questions are the main source of revision for most people :smile:
Original post by schoolgirl1
Just found this thread!
Finished the course on Friday! Now it's revision revision revision
Does anyone want to help me come up with all the similarities and differences between the old and contemporary studies and also between all the areas? I think if we learn these it will help a lot for the core studies exam!
I might make a spreadsheet or something
Also I think we should try and write any practice questions we get given on here so that we can all help each other out, practice questions are the main source of revision for most people :smile:

I'm gonna start research methods revision this week so any practice questions I do I'll put em up here. In terms of core study simil/differences I don't explicitly have any written down because I tend to just think of them in the moment unfortunately.

If you have the blue OCR Psychology textbook (one with the butterfly on it) it does have comparisons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LenniesRabbit
I'm gonna start research methods revision this week so any practice questions I do I'll put em up here. In terms of core study simil/differences I don't explicitly have any written down because I tend to just think of them in the moment unfortunately.

If you have the blue OCR Psychology textbook (one with the butterfly on it) it does have comparisons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks! I'll have a look at the textbook, and yeah I went over research methods yesterday I'm not sure how much time to spend on it though as I tend to do better in that exam :smile:
Reply 91
Anyone have some answers on the 20 marker for core studies section b
yo
Hey guys,
After hearing how the AS Research Methods paper went on the 15th of May I think we should all make sure have as much practice as possible on the Maths and statistics part of the syllabus. Apparently this year it was verrrrry Maths heavy! Just a suggestion :smile:
Reply 94
Hey guys,
After hearing how the AS Research Methods paper went on the 15th of May I think we should all make sure have as much practice as possible on the Maths and statistics part of the syllabus. Apparently this year it was verrrrry Maths heavy! Just a suggestion :smile:

Good I'm doing A Level Maths then lol

What kind of maths questions came up?
Original post by Rtdsv
Good I'm doing A Level Maths then lol

What kind of maths questions came up?

You're so lucky :sigh:
I'm not 100% sure as nobody has access to the paper at the moment but there were questions on converting a number to standard form etc. Nothing tooo difficult I assume but probably just those small topics that people would forget to revise.
Hey guys,

Thanks for letting us know! That's my favourite section of the exam so I hope our one is good! :smile:
I've answered some Section B RSM questions for the OCR A-level paper with a question taken from here: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/288955-component-1-research-methods-question-bank.pdf
Any suggestions on improvement would great! :smile:

Psychologists are interested in helping people overcome their fears, anxieties and phobias. One way about finding out about these is to ask people to fill out a questionnaire. In this way they can write about their fears, anxieties and phobias and how they can overcome them without having to talk about them.

1. Outline one advantage and one disadvantage of using a questionnaire in this study. (6)
2. Describe what is meant by a semi structured interview. (2)
3. What is a strength of using a semi structured interview over a structured interview? (2)
4. Why has an unstructured interview not been chosen to carry out this study? (2)

1. One advantage of using the questionnaire method in this study is that the participants would be able to give researchers clear and concise answers involving their fears, anxieties and phobias without them having to verbally speak about them. This means that participants would not be put into a possible position of distress whilst trying to explain what their fears are, and they would be more willing to answer more honestly about their fears and phobias without feeling judged by an interviewer speaking to them face-to-face. This is an advantage because it would increase the validity of answers given as they would be honest more explicit, and researchers would thus be able to investigate exactly what they set out to investigate (how to help people overcome their fears).

A disadvantage is that questionnaires may lead to individuals responding according to social desirability. Participants may find describing their fears, anxieties and phobias (as well as personal ways to overcome them) as quite daunting and embarrassing. This means that they may choose to respond according to how others (without fears or anxieties) would respond in order to not appear 'different'. This is a disadvantage because it means that data collected by the psychologists would not be reliable as answers would not reflect the participant's true feelings towards their fears.

2. A semi-structured interview is a data-collection method in which the interviewer is given guidelines to base subsequent questions on. These questions can be open or closed.

3. A strength of using a semi-structured interview over a structured interview is that the interviewer is that the interviewer can influence the timing or phrasing of questions to suit the requirements of the interviewee, whereas structured interview questions are already pre-determined and so limit the interviewer to only asking specific questions in specific ways which may lead to unclarified misunderstandings.

4. An unstructured interview is not based on any pre-determined or closed questions and so interviewees are free to interpret and respond to the question how ever they wish. This is a problem as participants who have fears, anxieties and phobias may end up giving too detailed and unfiltered of an explanation information about their feelings and emotions towards having such fears, which could cause ethical problems such as distress or trauma.
bro i just wanna see the 2017 paper, has anyone got a hold of it?
Can anyone please confirm whether it is necessary to learn Histograms (procedure etc) for the exam? On the spec it mentions it but I'm not sure if we will be just given data from a Histogram and asked to interpret it or we actually have to make one ourselves?

Original post by Virolite
bro i just wanna see the 2017 paper, has anyone got a hold of it?

Nobody has access to it, try asking a teacher?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending