The Student Room Group

Struggling....

Hi,
I am in year 9 and have to pick between AQA computer science gcse and AQA history gcse and I am struggling between which one to pick.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by THE Legend27
Hi,
I am in year 9 and have to pick between AQA computer science gcse and AQA history gcse and I am struggling between which one to pick.

I am a year 11 who is doing the old GCSE History, but I can try sand help you with the following information I know.

I know people in year 9 and 10 who are doing the new History course. I personally wouldn't pick it but it depends on how much you like each subject.

You would have to learn alot for the new History course, it's alot of information and it's on four big topics. I know this because me and my teacher were discussing the new course.

Which course seems more appealing to you?
Reply 2
I did GCSE Computer science (OCR exam board though) and there is obviously much more practical than any history course, but its really dependent on what you want to do in the future. What career do you want to pursue? Which subject do you feel you would enjoy more? Have you looked at the curriculum for each subject?

Perhaps some people who have done both courses will be able to provide a comparison.
Reply 3
Original post by froobi.doo
I am a year 11 who is doing the old GCSE History, but I can try sand help you with the following information I know.

I know people in year 9 and 10 who are doing the new History course. I personally wouldn't pick it but it depends on how much you like each subject.

You would have to learn alot for the new History course, it's alot of information and it's on four big topics. I know this because me and my teacher were discussing the new course.

Which course seems more appealing to you?

I actually prefer History but some year 11 students were also telling me to do Computer Science because like you said the new course is hard and they won't allow you to do course work but in computer science they do and you get help from the teacher........oh yes! Can you please send me the information you know about the new History course
I actually prefer History but some year 11 students were also telling me to do Computer Science because like you said the new course is hard and they won't allow you to do course work but in computer science they do and you get help from the teacher........oh yes! Can you please send me the information you know about the new History course

Well at the end of the day it's your choice so do what you'd like to.

Having help from the teacher is good for anything and you should be able to get it with any subject you do but as you move through the years in school teachers will want to help you less because you should learn more independently as you get older.

I only know what I've already said. The course is split into 4 topics ( one of them is something to do with Medicine but I don't remember hat any of them are actually called) and they have a lot of content in them, and alot has to be learnt, so if you aren't prepared to put in the effort of learning and revising lot's of stuff then don't pick History.

Computer Science sounds interesting, I've personally never heard about it before, as my school only offers Computing or ICT which aren't the same thing I don't think.

Does that help at all?:redface:
Reply 5
Original post by ashjack
I did GCSE Computer science (OCR exam board though) and there is obviously much more practical than any history course, but its really dependent on what you want to do in the future. What career do you want to pursue? Which subject do you feel you would enjoy more? Have you looked at the curriculum for each subject?

Perhaps some people who have done both courses will be able to provide a comparison.

The career that I want to do hopefully in future is psychology however I don't know if I would need computer science for it but would history be a better option? And I think I might enjoy history more.
The career that I want to do hopefully in future is psychology however I don't know if I would need computer science for it but would history be a better option? And I think I might enjoy history more.

Do the one you would get the best grade in.
Talk to existing students or teachers and look what both involve.
Do you intend to do either at A level? Do you have an aptitude for one or the other?

As you say CS might have coursework. History sometimes does as well. See what periods are going to be covered? At A level then History would be considered the more academic subject.

Psychology courses tend to ask for one science or maths. have a quick look at the entrance requirements for unis you might like. I dont think whether you have History or CS is critical, even at A level.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-psychology
Reply 7
Original post by froobi.doo
Well at the end of the day it's your choice so do what you'd like to.

Having help from the teacher is good for anything and you should be able to get it with any subject you do but as you move through the years in school teachers will want to help you less because you should learn more independently as you get older.

I only know what I've already said. The course is split into 4 topics ( one of them is something to do with Medicine but I don't remember hat any of them are actually called) and they have a lot of content in them, and alot has to be learnt, so if you aren't prepared to put in the effort of learning and revising lot's of stuff then don't pick History.

Computer Science sounds interesting, I've personally never heard about it before, as my school only offers Computing or ICT which aren't the same thing I don't think.

Does that help at all?:redface:

Thank you so much 😁 lol I'm not sure if it's the way the teacher teaches but I don't find computer science that interesting but when I heard it's easy I was like wow okay...... but I might be choosing history since it might help me with English language debates for balance arguments. Thanks again for your help😊😉
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Do the one you would get the best grade in.
Talk to existing students or teachers and look what both involve.
Do you intend to do either at A level? Do you have an aptitude for one or the other?

As you say CS might have coursework. History sometimes does as well. See what periods are going to be covered? At A level then History would be considered the more academic subject.

Psychology courses tend to ask for one science or maths. have a quick look at the entrance requirements for unis you might like. I dont think whether you have History or CS is critical, even at A level.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-psychology

Thank you so much for your help and advice, I will check the website now.😊 and I think I am going to do history because I feel I might do better. Thanks again
Thank you so much 😁 lol I'm not sure if it's the way the teacher teaches but I don't find computer science that interesting but when I heard it's easy I was like wow okay...... but I might be choosing history since it might help me with English language debates for balance arguments. Thanks again for your help😊😉

It's ok, I like helping people as it makes me feel better about myself.

If you ever need help in the future then message me. :h:

And it's your decision so do what you feel is best.
Hi,

I didn't take history but I took Computer Science and bloody hell it was awful x I'd advice you not to take it x
Original post by abc_123_
I didn't take history but I took Computer Science and bloody hell it was awful x I'd advice you not to take it x

Ahahahaahhahah okay😂
Ahahahaahhahah okay😂

My little brother did it too because my mum told him to and he hated it ... for me the coursework was just too long and we didn't really get taught any of the theory :s
Hope you make the right decision xx
Computer Science has gotten a lot harder this year due to being moved to the 9-1 scale. This caused the Coursework percentage to decrease for 60% to 20% (I think), meaning most of the course is examined. If you pay attention, have a decent teacher and put the work in, you can do well in Computer Science without too much trouble.

History is also changing but for the better or worse, I don't know. (I presume work, as that is what is happening with all subjects). I believe it is getting much more writing based and you will have to be writing lots of notes and practice papers to get good grades, but much like in Computing, if you put in the work, you'll get the results.

It's all down to what course would be best and most enjoyable for you because if you enjoy something, you'll find it easier to put in the effort needed for good grades. In earlier years, I would have suggested you choose based on whether you prefer writing or typing, but due to the new changes you are doing similar amounts of writing. Finally, think about what you want to do in the future. Want to be a Historian in the future? Do History. Want to work in Computer Science? Do Computer Science

DO WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU
Hi,

Honestly, I'd choose one you know you'll do well in and what you think will help you in the future.

Personally, I chose GCSE Computer Science. I didn't like History. If you have an analytical mind and you are interested in coding and computers, I don't see why not choose CS. However, think about your future job. If you think history will benefit you in the future due to the job you wish to peruse, I would choose that.

All the best,
Jake
Hi,

I can't advise you on which course to pick as I've never taken these courses, but I'm applying to study Psychology at university this year and neither are requirements for the course. Pick whichever one you enjoy more, I'd say. Good luck!
My little brother did it too because my mum told him to and he hated it ... for me the coursework was just too long and we didn't really get taught any of the theory :s
Hope you make the right decision xx

Yes I was talking to my cousin and he said that the course work in computer science takes alot of revision time for other subjects.
Yes I was talking to my cousin and he said that the course work in computer science takes alot of revision time for other subjects.

I had to do a couple of very late nights (like until 4am) and skip a day of school to do it because my teacher didn't help us and we weren't given enough time :frown: x
Was worth it tho Cas I got an A* in the coursework x
Original post by itz_danp
Computer Science has gotten a lot harder this year due to being moved to the 9-1 scale. This caused the Coursework percentage to decrease for 60% to 20% (I think), meaning most of the course is examined. If you pay attention, have a decent teacher and put the work in, you can do well in Computer Science without too much trouble.

History is also changing but for the better or worse, I don't know. (I presume work, as that is what is happening with all subjects). I believe it is getting much more writing based and you will have to be writing lots of notes and practice papers to get good grades, but much like in Computing, if you put in the work, you'll get the results.

It's all down to what course would be best and most enjoyable for you because if you enjoy something, you'll find it easier to put in the effort needed for good grades. In earlier years, I would have suggested you choose based on whether you prefer writing or typing, but due to the new changes you are doing similar amounts of writing. Finally, think about what you want to do in the future. Want to be a Historian in the future? Do History. Want to work in Computer Science? Do Computer Science

DO WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU

Thank you very much for your useful advice I will be taking history as I really enjoy it in class and I feel it will be more helpful in the future. Thanks again xx
I had to do a couple of very late nights (like until 4am) and skip a day of school to do it because my teacher didn't help us and we weren't given enough time :frown: x
Was worth it tho Cas I got an A* in the coursework x

Awww.....well at least you got an A* xx 😉. Your advice was really helpful I will definitely take history 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending