The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography case studies

Typical me has left revision for Geography a bit late..

How many facts would you say for each case study? I don't know if I'm going too overkill: I have quite a good memory but I'm not sure how many facts are needed
Reply 1
Original post by anacarolinaa

How many facts would you say for each case study? I don't know if I'm going too overkill: I have quite a good memory but I'm not sure how many facts are needed

You need to know what happened before, eg prediction, protection, reasons. Then the impacts and the things they're doing to ensure they're better protected for the future.

Quick example:
1. Boscastle flood
Before: steep valleys of impermeable rock (slate), tributary feeding the river, heavy precipitation, deforestation
Impacts: £2 million cost, no deaths, 1 reported injury (a broken thumb), cars washed into the sea, tourism industry took a hit
The future: deepening and widening the River Valency, demolishing the Lower Bridge to replace it with a higher one, flood walls, afforestation (or reforestation).

You could be asked a question that will focus on each part, so you need to be knowledgeable about the whole picture. Also remember to get some 'place specific detail' in there - facts and figures.
Original post by Amefish
You need to know what happened before, eg prediction, protection, reasons. Then the impacts and the things they're doing to ensure they're better protected for the future.

Quick example:
1. Boscastle flood
Before: steep valleys of impermeable rock (slate), tributary feeding the river, heavy precipitation, deforestation
Impacts: £2 million cost, no deaths, 1 reported injury (a broken thumb), cars washed into the sea, tourism industry took a hit
The future: deepening and widening the River Valency, demolishing the Lower Bridge to replace it with a higher one, flood walls, afforestation (or reforestation).

You could be asked a question that will focus on each part, so you need to be knowledgeable about the whole picture. Also remember to get some 'place specific detail' in there - facts and figures.

I agree.
This is what we were always told as well.
Reply 3

i would say revise at least 3 points for impacts, 3 for causes, 3 for responses etc.
usually for the 8 mark questions you should expand on three points and use key words like this is a social impact or this is a long-term response to get into the higher band x
Thank you all, means a lot! x

For those who have done their GCSE already, how difficult did you find the paper?
Reply 5
Thank you all, means a lot! x

For those who have done their GCSE already, how difficult did you find the paper?

I didn't think it was too hard. I got an A grade :smile: I'm currently in my second year of geography A Level
Have my Unit 1 2morrow and havent revised yet , sigh
Original post by ParisOMg
Have my Unit 1 2morrow and havent revised yet , sigh

i'm trying to balance learning about jekyll and hyde with learning 8 more case studies :smile:)
Original post by Amefish
I didn't think it was too hard. I got an A grade :smile: I'm currently in my second year of geography A Level

you enjoying it? what other a levels did you take? :smile:
i'm trying to balance learning about jekyll and hyde with learning 8 more case studies :smile:)

Same , but Im focusing on English Lit a bit more . Good Luck
you enjoying it? what other a levels did you take? :smile:

Yeah I love it, I also took English Language and Biology :smile:

Quick Reply