The Student Room Group

Anyone doing Jekyll & Hyde have good quotes for .....???

GCSE AQA English Lit
Anyone doing Jekyll & Hyde have good quotes for :

- the appearance of Hyde ( other than "There is something wrong with his appearance; something displeasing, something downright detestable....")

- Any on Jekyll

- Any on the theme of a Gothic novel (and what you could say about this quote.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx x
for hyde: "troglodytic" (like a cave dweller) "if i ever read satan's signature upon a face, it is on that of your new friend" (utterson says this in chapter 2 after hyde leaves) "hellish to see" (enfield says this in chapter 1)

not really sure about the others but hope it hlped :smile:
Reply 2
For Jekyll:
“My evil, kept awake by ambition”
“Pink of proprieties”
“Wear a more than commonly grave countenance before the public”
“My devil had long been caged, and came out roaring” (this one is extremely good for both Jekyll and Hyde; here is my analysis:
The noun “devil” likens Hyde to Satan and evil. A Victorian audience would have had a concept of literal hell from beliefs in religion, making this reference more shocking for the reader, suggesting that Hyde is uncontrollable and of pure evil. This noun has undergone amelioration in which a contemporary audience would have been affected much more greatly than a modern audience. The past participle “caged” suggests that Hyde and his evil has been repressed, which links to the Victorian gentleman, who was expected to repress his hidden desires; Hyde is therefore the physical embodiment of pure evil. This links to the noun “cage” which connotes a zoo of animals, suggesting that Hyde is animalistic, likening him to Darwin’s theory of evolution in that he is closely linked to an ape. The gentlemen of the Victorian society believed that the lower class (Hyde) were less evolved than the upper class. The present participle “roaring” is also anthropomorphic and links to Darwinism, reflecting violence and strength of indulgence. This verb is onomatopoeic and the aural imagery would frighten the reader and make them weary of the people around them.
)
“I concealed my pleasures”
“Slyish cast”

“as wild as harpies”
“Satan’s signature upon his face”
“Like some damned Juggernaut”
“ape-like fury”
“Shrunk back with a hissing intake of breath”
“Trampled calmly” (Here's my analysis for Trampled calmly:
This oxymoron suggests that Hyde is uncontrollable as the combination of the verb and adverb is horrifying as it implies a casual and careless approach yet linked to uncaring violence. The fact that the man was “calm” implies that there is something not right about his morals and social awareness, suggesting he is evil. The violent verb “trampled” illustrates that Hyde is completely dominating emphasizing his lack of morals as he tramples a “girl”; the girl would be seen has a vulnerable and innocent being in the novella, which illustrates Hyde’s lack of morals and inhumanity. The girl is left “screaming” on the ground the onomatopoeic present participle “screaming” horrifies the reader as it enhances the visual image of Hyde’s actions.)

“I gnashed my teeth upon him with a gust of devilish fury”

Hope I helped. I would definitely recommend learning these quotes as you can practically write essays on them. Good luck! I'm taking the same exam tomorrow lol
Reply 3
Original post by Abyssal
For Jekyll:
“Pink of proprieties”
“My devil had long been caged, and came out roaring” (this one is extremely good for both Jekyll and Hyde; here is my analysis:
The noun “devil” likens Hyde to Satan and evil. A Victorian audience would have had a concept of literal hell from beliefs in religion, making this reference more shocking for the reader, suggesting that Hyde is uncontrollable and of pure evil. This noun has undergone amelioration in which a contemporary audience would have been affected much more greatly than a modern audience. The past participle “caged” suggests that Hyde and his evil has been repressed, which links to the Victorian gentleman, who was expected to repress his hidden desires; Hyde is therefore the physical embodiment of pure evil. This links to the noun “cage” which connotes a zoo of animals, suggesting that Hyde is animalistic, likening him to Darwin’s theory of evolution in that he is closely linked to an ape. The gentlemen of the Victorian society believed that the lower class (Hyde) were less evolved than the upper class. The present participle “roaring” is also anthropomorphic and links to Darwinism, reflecting violence and strength of indulgence. This verb is onomatopoeic and the aural imagery would frighten the reader and make them weary of the people around them.
)
“Slyish cast”

“as wild as harpies”
“ape-like fury”
This oxymoron suggests that Hyde is uncontrollable as the combination of the verb and adverb is horrifying as it implies a casual and careless approach yet linked to uncaring violence. The fact that the man was “calm” implies that there is something not right about his morals and social awareness, suggesting he is evil. The violent verb “trampled” illustrates that Hyde is completely dominating emphasizing his lack of morals as he tramples a “girl”; the girl would be seen has a vulnerable and innocent being in the novella, which illustrates Hyde’s lack of morals and inhumanity. The girl is left “screaming” on the ground the onomatopoeic present participle “screaming” horrifies the reader as it enhances the visual image of Hyde’s actions.)

Hope I helped. I would definitely recommend learning these quotes as you can practically write essays on them. Good luck! I'm taking the same exam tomorrow lol

That was really helpfull!! thank you .... do you know any other quote for the gothic novel...???
Here are the quotes I might use tomorrow:
"showed no window" THE BACK OF JEKYLL'S HOUSE
"marks of prolonged sordid and negligence" THE DOOR TO THE LAB
"the man trampled calmly" (oxymoron) ENFIELD ABOUT HYDE
"he must rise and do his bidding" UTTERS ABOUT HYDE
"hardly human" HYDE
"broke out of all bounds" HYDE
"disconsolate prisoner" JEKYLL
"pale moon lying on her back as if the wind had tilted her" (pathetic fallacy) THE WEATHER THE NIGHT JEKYLL ENDS HIS LIFE
"losing hold of my original and better self" JEKYLL ABOUT HIMSELF
"my devil has been long caged" JEKYLL TALKING ABOUT HYDE
"horror of the spirit" ABOUT JEKYLL WHEN HE TURNS INTO HYDE
"think his own thoughts and see his own face" ABOUT JEKYLL
"raging with the passions of Hyde" ABOUT JEKYLL
"ape-like fury" ABOUT HYDE
"something troglodytic" ABOUT HYDE
"the moment I chose, I can be rid of Mr Hyde" JEKYLL
"beautiful gentleman" ABOUT CAREW
"white hair" ABOUT CAREW
"felt more at peace" MAID
"snarled" ABOUT HYDE
"savage laugh" ABOUT HYDE
"Satan's signature"ENFIELD ABOUT HYDE
"began to go wrong in the mind"LANYON ABOUT JEKYLL
"deformed somewhere" ENFIELD ABOUT HYDE
"something wrong with his appearance" ENFIELD ABOUT HYDE
"such unscientific balderdash" LANYON ABOUT JEKYLL

Hope these help tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Abyssal
For Jekyll:
“Pink of proprieties”
)
“Slyish cast”

“as wild as harpies”
“ape-like fury”

holy sh*t this is amazing please teach me your style!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending