The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Computer Science

Hey all,

Starting CS degree in Sept, planning to do Maths alongside it. Mature student (28) - worked in various IT roles over the past 10 years (mostly support & graphic/web design - no programming experience other than web [php/mysql/html/etc]) and spent the past year in an access course

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the course, the description on the glasgow uni site isn't very detailed. I'm assuming there will be more to first year than learning Python.

What's the contact time like? (Days per week)

Thx in advanced
Reply 1
Hey, 2nd year CS+maths joint hons here.

So for first year you'll take three subjects, you can choose the other two.

In first year CS, you take two courses, CS1P (python, simple programming) and CS1Q (databases, HCI and systems split equally over both semesters).

In second year, you'll take two subjects, again you can choose the 2nd one. For CS courses, you take Java programming, more systems, intro to algorithms (first semester). Second semester is algorithms and data structures, more java (mainly OOP this semester though) and a web applications course (using Django, but you're expected to know html, css, js etc.)

Third year is changing as I type this, so I can't really talk about it right now.

Let me know if you need more details (I realise this is pretty much what they say on the website, but I'm not sure what you're looking for), I can also talk about the maths courses.

Contact time lecture wise was something like a lecture a day for CS, then other courses will have different hours. Outside of lectures, there was a programming lab per week and CS1Q had a lab or tutorial per week (changes per week).
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Ohmycosh

In first year CS, you take two courses, CS1P (python, simple programming) and CS1Q (databases, HCI and systems split equally over both semesters).

In second year, you'll take two subjects, again you can choose the 2nd one. For CS courses, you take Java programming, more systems, intro to algorithms (first semester). Second semester is algorithms and data structures, more java (mainly OOP this semester though) and a web applications course (using Django, but you're expected to know html, css, js etc.)

Third year is changing as I type this, so I can't really talk about it right now.

Let me know if you need more details (I realise this is pretty much what they say on the website, but I'm not sure what you're looking for), I can also talk about the maths courses.

Contact time lecture wise was something like a lecture a day for CS, then other courses will have different hours. Outside of lectures, there was a programming lab per week and CS1Q had a lab or tutorial per week (changes per week).

I know that there's two streams, one for those with programming experience and one for those without, but I've heard that some people with experience take the one for those without anyway. What do you recommend? I have some programming experience (doing Advanced Higher Computing Science) but I'm not too confident about it.

What sort of topics do you cover in first year maths?

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Simmeh-chan
I know that there's two streams, one for those with programming experience and one for those without, but I've heard that some people with experience take the one for those without anyway. What do you recommend? I have some programming experience (doing Advanced Higher Computing Science) but I'm not too confident about it.

What sort of topics do you cover in first year maths?

So personally I was a bit scared to take the normal Python route as I'd not done much programming, but after two lectures of the no experience class I decided to switch (I would have been super bored, and slightly harder classes isn't a bad thing always).

It was definitely the right choice for me, as even the harder course is super easy, and if you've programmed before then you'll be absolutely fine.

There's also two streams for maths, the harder one covers the same as the easy one plus a bit more, if you think you can handle the work and you're taking maths as part of your degree then definitely go for it.

In terms of course content, there's some simple calculus, some linear algebra. You can check every course Glasgow uni offers on their website, for example here is the 'easier' maths course:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/course/?code=MATHS1001

(Click 'view course specification document' for the important details)

I have all of the notes from the other maths course if you're interested.
So personally I was a bit scared to take the normal Python route as I'd not done much programming, but after two lectures of the no experience class I decided to switch (I would have been super bored, and slightly harder classes isn't a bad thing always).

It was definitely the right choice for me, as even the harder course is super easy, and if you've programmed before then you'll be absolutely fine.

There's also two streams for maths, the harder one covers the same as the easy one plus a bit more, if you think you can handle the work and you're taking maths as part of your degree then definitely go for it.

In terms of course content, there's some simple calculus, some linear algebra. You can check every course Glasgow uni offers on their website, for example here is the 'easier' maths course:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/course/?code=MATHS1001

(Click 'view course specification document' for the important details)

I have all of the notes from the other maths course if you're interested.

What is the "assigned coursework (40%)"?
Reply 6
Original post by Simmeh-chan
What is the "assigned coursework (40%)"?

In CS1P?

20% lab exam, 20% class test, then the other 60% of the grade comes from the final exam.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/course/?code=COMPSCI1001
I looked at the textbooks mentioned for the python class and the material covered seems very basic. I don't have any formal programming experience - I write the occasional bash script and I've dabbled with python, but I can't say I can code. I didn't see anything in that book that I can't do or don't understand.

My experience is in IT too, but in server / network / wireless / infrastructure / end user support. Mature student (27). Top priority right now is finding somewhere to stay - but I won't be in UK until September 3rd, so I guess I'll have to settle for halls. Other than that I'm all set, so I guess I'l see you in class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending