The Student Room Group

Learn in Manual, Buy Auto?

Poll

Would you buy a manual or an automatic as your first car?

I am currently learning to drive in a manual. I have only had 2 lessons (3hours) so far but even in the first lesson I got up to 4th gear, went around roundabouts and went 40mph. In the 2nd lesson I went up to 5th gear and went down the A127 pretty quickly. So I really don't find it difficult to use a manual. However, I really do not like them either. I find it easy to use but not enjoyable really as I am constantly thinking about the clutch and changing gear. So my question is, after passing my test should I buy an automatic? On the one hand, I should buy a manual to get experience on them but on the other I am not bothered about an automatic being slower or less fuel efficient and I just wanna get from A to B as relaxed as possible. I will still legally be able to buy a manual if i later want to go back to manuals. So what would you do? Would you buy a manual because you feel you should or buy an automatic or semi-automatic because you prefer them so much more and don't really have any intentions of ever owning a manual car? Thanks for any and all replies in advance :smile:
If you feel you would be more comfortable driving an automatic they do that, driving should be comfortable and enjoyable

There really is no point in getting an manual just because you feel you should, drive in what you feel happiest with :smile:
Reply 2
My car is a manual, so I love being able to take it to higher revs and have more control overall. :smile:

However, one of my Dad's cars is an automatic (Range Rover Sport) and so takes out some of the "challenges" of driving a relatively powerful car. However, put it in sport mode and the gears take longer to shift up, which makes for some nice acceleration :biggrin:

Manual ftw! Unless it's a supercar, then semi-auto is good :wink:
I voted auto even though I have a manual, I'm just thinking it would make driving in the city a more enjoyable experience.

Having said that, I do enjoy owning a manual and I think it would be better to own one as a first car so that at least you'll you have that experience.
Original post by nemothefish19
I voted auto even though I have a manual, I'm just thinking it would make driving in the city a more enjoyable experience.

Having said that, I do enjoy owning a manual and I think it would be better to own one as a first car so that at least you'll you have that experience.

Well its a bit of an iffy.........the fact that there no constant speed, due to traffic, traffic lights , etc The Auto can be off putting in my opinion, especially as you want to get on with it, its slower compared to a manual to get off the mark and accelerate and change gears.
Original post by Iqbal007
Well its a bit of an iffy.........the fact that there no constant speed, due to traffic, traffic lights , etc The Auto can be off putting in my opinion, especially as you want to get on with it, its slower compared to a manual to get off the mark and accelerate and change gears.

Most smaller cars in EU that are automatics are semi-automatics meaning a manual with an automatic clutch.

It isn't any slower than the manual and it will change much faster than you could in a manual transmission.
Original post by Alfissti
Most smaller cars in EU that are automatics are semi-automatics meaning a manual with an automatic clutch.

It isn't any slower than the manual and it will change much faster than you could in a manual transmission.

I was comparing my Polo to someones 307......really disliked the auto on it, felt too slow and not as responsive.
Original post by Iqbal007
I was comparing my Polo to someones 307......really disliked the auto on it, felt too slow and not as responsive.

That's a very old tech autobox.

You should try a new Polo with a DSG, doubt you'd be driving your manual Polo after that.
Reply 8
People that blindly state that one type of transmission is better than the other are morons.
You should pick the transmission to go with the vehicle.

An automatic mazda mz5 is a crap drive in the same manor that a manual Jag XJ is also a crap driving experience. Swap the transmissions over, however....
There is no "best transmission". It depends on the car. An automatic Toyota GT86 or Honda S2000 would probably be a flop, but so would a manual Koenigsegg (fancy dealing with 1341hp anyone?). It depends on how confident you are with manual and what kind of driving you're planning to do. Personally I'd rather have a manual first car for that experience and practice, but it wouldn't be a requirement.
Reply 10
Have had this discussion with my son who recently passed his test, manual. We both think that a period post test driving a manual will long term be a better way of continuing to become more comfortable with a manual, the risk going straight to an auto is five or so years from now the skills on an manual he acquired may be very diminished, or lost.

I drive both, usually an auto but odd times my wife's car or a van. If the gap going back to a manual is much more than a year or so I feel very rusty (keep forgetting to change gear for this first 20-30 minutes) and it does take time to adjust, and that is after driving for forty year, mainly manuals.

There is a truth re skills re use it or lose it and perservering post test with a manual may be one of these, in addition the need to think about gear changing etc goes so really stops becoming a concern, you drive enough you just don't think about this aspect, it just happens, like walking.

So a couple of years keeping your hand in may be useful in the long term. (If there are manual cars in the long term)

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 year old thread. Please check the dates in future.
Reply 12
Original post by RoyalSheepy

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 year old thread. Please check the dates in future.

3 year old thread.Please lock for posts in future.
Original post by DJKL
3 year old thread.Please lock for posts in future.

K will do, although you were the necro-poster...
Reply 14
K will do, although you were the necro-poster...

I know, but if it had been locked I would not have been,
Original post by DJKL
I know, but if it had been locked I would not have been,

I'm not a CT member so I can't... It's a bit of common sense.
Reply 16
I'm not a CT member so I can't... It's a bit of common sense.

My mistake, I perceived from your order that you were.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending