The Student Room Group

Biology, chemistry, maths and Geography for A-Level choices?

Right, so I am thinking of taking these subjects... I don't do geography at GCSE level - will that matter?! Also, I am predicted A*s in biology and chemistry and have already got an A* in maths (but I think I will only get an A in Chemistry)... I don't really enjoy chemistry but HAVE to do it for what I want to do at uni (zoology)... is that a good reason to do it if I find it kinda difficult and not really fun? I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?! Should I choose those A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:work:
Reply 2
Original post by LauraEddy
Right, so I am thinking of taking these subjects... I don't do geography at GCSE level - will that matter?! Also, I am predicted A*s in biology and chemistry and have already got an A* in maths (but I think I will only get an A in Chemistry)... I don't really enjoy chemistry but HAVE to do it for what I want to do at uni (zoology)... is that a good reason to do it if I find it kinda difficult and not really fun? I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?! Should I choose those A levels?

You will have to put A LOT of work in for chemistry, it's a very challenging subject and if you don't like it it's gonna be so much worse! Have you checked all uni requirements for zoology? Do they all require chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by z1820
You will have to put A LOT of work in for chemistry, it's a very challenging subject and if you don't like it it's gonna be so much worse! Have you checked all uni requirements for zoology? Do they all require chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't mind putting in the work, but do you think that doing the other three as well is possible? Will I have time to do it all and still get good grades in them all? Or is it pointless doing 4 if Universities only want 3 (I was planning on doing 4 in case I failed one?) Most Unis recommend having Chemisty, however some will accept that Maths and Geography are sciences so they don't mind as much if you don't have chemistry
Reply 4
I don't mind putting in the work, but do you think that doing the other three as well is possible? Will I have time to do it all and still get good grades in them all? Or is it pointless doing 4 if Universities only want 3 (I was planning on doing 4 in case I failed one?) Most Unis recommend having Chemisty, however some will accept that Maths and Geography are sciences so they don't mind as much if you don't have chemistry

I'm doing 4 too and it seems manageable to me but obviously you need to be willing to put work in, you basically have to work from day one. I think doing 4 is good because, like you said, if you completely hate a subject you can drop it so if you really couldn't stand chemistry you can just drop it at AS or even before then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did geography at a-level and loved it.
It was so interesting. You do things in quite a bit of detail as well.
Id definitely recommend it.
I cant comment on the others though as i never did those.
Reply 6
Original post by z1820
I'm doing 4 too and it seems manageable to me but obviously you need to be willing to put work in, you basically have to work from day one. I think doing 4 is good because, like you said, if you completely hate a subject you can drop it so if you really couldn't stand chemistry you can just drop it at AS or even before then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to admit I am one of these people that actually get obsessed with doing work and so I think I should be okay on wanting to do the work. I am actually going to be getting A-level revision guides and revise during the summer holiday :colondollar: Thank you for the great advice! You have really helped to put my mind at rest (and not very many people can do that!) :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
I did geography at a-level and loved it.
It was so interesting. You do things in quite a bit of detail as well.
Id definitely recommend it.
I cant comment on the others though as i never did those.

Did you do Geography at GCSE level? I didn't and so I am worried that they wouldn't want me to take it...:eek: I really wish I had taken it at GCSE rather than history, which I suck at:frown: What sort of stuff do you do at Geography A-level? :curious:
Did you do Geography at GCSE level? I didn't and so I am worried that they wouldn't want me to take it...:eek: I really wish I had taken it at GCSE rather than history, which I suck at:frown: What sort of stuff do you do at Geography A-level? :curious:

Yeah, i took it at gcse.
Id double check with your school. They may not require you to have took it at gcse. My school was similar with history- in that you didnt need to have took it at gcse to do a-level.
Reply 9
Yeah, i took it at gcse.
Id double check with your school. They may not require you to have took it at gcse. My school was similar with history- in that you didnt need to have took it at gcse to do a-level.

I will get my dad to email the school today and see what the think about me taking Geography.:hmmmm::nyan: I really want to do it! I just hope that if I do it I will be able to keep up on all the work for the other three!
What are the Geography exams like? :eyebrow:

You are taking 3 of the big 6 hard A levels which are the sciences, the maths and computing, but don't let that put you off.

•Maths you have to have an intimate strong relationship with algebra, with probability as your side hoe if you have to do S1. It's challenging, there is new things to learn but it's worth it!

•Biology is brilliant for zoology and I love Biology. I take it myself and I struggle with couple like remembering names and structures but it's great. But don't think it's easy.

•My friend takes A level chemistry. One of my friends quit after two weeks. It's not for everyone. My other friend spends all her time balancing equations or doing exam questions. She enjoys it but it stresses her out a lot. So only do it if you're going to be comfortable doing it and enjoy it, speak to your teachers.

•It doesn't matter - Geography is geography. It would help you to do a bit of extra prep work around the topics you are studying just in case people are ahead but you should be fine.
Reply 11
Wow, thank you so much for this!:h:

That was really helpful! I find sciences a lot easier than massive essay based things like English etc.

With the chemistry, I feel like I would like to challenge myself and see how hard it really is, as I am one of these people that love to learn new things.
I can't wait for biology, and my biggest regret at my school was that I didn' t take Geography at GCSE :s-smilie:

Original post by ExoIceCream99
You are taking 3 of the big 6 hard A levels which are the sciences, the maths and computing, but don't let that put you off.

•Maths you have to have an intimate strong relationship with algebra, with probability as your side hoe if you have to do S1. It's challenging, there is new things to learn but it's worth it!

•Biology is brilliant for zoology and I love Biology. I take it myself and I struggle with couple like remembering names and structures but it's great. But don't think it's easy.

•My friend takes A level chemistry. One of my friends quit after two weeks. It's not for everyone. My other friend spends all her time balancing equations or doing exam questions. She enjoys it but it stresses her out a lot. So only do it if you're going to be comfortable doing it and enjoy it, speak to your teachers.

•It doesn't matter - Geography is geography. It would help you to do a bit of extra prep work around the topics you are studying just in case people are ahead but you should be fine.
I will get my dad to email the school today and see what the think about me taking Geography.:hmmmm::nyan: I really want to do it! I just hope that if I do it I will be able to keep up on all the work for the other three!
What are the Geography exams like? :eyebrow:

They werent too bad actually.
It probably changed since i did my a-levels. But there were a lot of case studies The case studies werent too bad actuallt though. There was a bit more in the way of essays etc in year 13. But even then they werent too bad.
I'm doing A2 and I do biology geog and maths.

I really enjoyed geography at AS but this year it's ridiculous. There's SO much work and it's fairly difficult, definitely the hardest A level for me.

Biology was fine at the start but the DNA tech stuff, muscles and nerves is really hard. Basically biology gets really difficult at the end of the course.

Maths C3 is a humongous jump from C2 and C4 is really hard at the start but I'm fine with it now, I think it just comes with practice.

I think Maths is my favourite mainly because it's so easy to revise for and it's all clicked but at the start of the year I was really struggling with C4.

AS for all 3 subjects is really easy in comparison to A2, but I have to say my combo of subjects it's all that bad, I enjoy them even if I complain about them all the time lol
Reply 14
Ah okay, so do you not recommend geography then? Yeah, I would like the physical planet stuff but the tourist bit probably not so much?:s-smilie: Do you have to learn the case studies? Is that difficult to do? Is that like History in that respect? Is there a higher percentage of physical planet stuff to human stuff? Do you think it would be too much to do as well as chemistry, biology, and maths?

The maths sound cool! Is it mainly problem-solving or is it just he is a question, now do the answer? I like maths a lot and I always found maths easier to revise than other subjects.:redface:
Reply 15
Original post by JezDayy
I'm doing A2 and I do biology geog and maths.

I really enjoyed geography at AS but this year it's ridiculous. There's SO much work and it's fairly difficult, definitely the hardest A level for me.

Biology was fine at the start but the DNA tech stuff, muscles and nerves is really hard. Basically biology gets really difficult at the end of the course.

Maths C3 is a humongous jump from C2 and C4 is really hard at the start but I'm fine with it now, I think it just comes with practice.

I think Maths is my favourite mainly because it's so easy to revise for and it's all clicked but at the start of the year I was really struggling with C4.

AS for all 3 subjects is really easy in comparison to A2, but I have to say my combo of subjects it's all that bad, I enjoy them even if I complain about them all the time lol

Why do you find Geography is the hardest? Is it the content or the exams?

What are all the different maths modules them? Do I have to choose one or do I do them all?

I think I will really enjoy Biology, but I am worried as my teachers say that everything you learn at GCSE is a lie...:frown:

I did maths, bio, Chem and physics at alevel and would say that maths and chemistry are very good choices (they were actually interesting and revising for them is manageable). Biology however is only worth doing if you love the subject. I got an A at alevel but had to work harder for it than any of the other subjects I did (you basically have to memorise 2 text books full of content). At my sixth form it didn't matter if you hadn't done geography a level as it was quite different to GCSE but I guess that depends on the exam board tbh. Good luck for your GCSEs :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Amellia123
I did maths, bio, Chem and physics at alevel and would say that maths and chemistry are very good choices (they were actually interesting and revising for them is manageable). Biology however is only worth doing if you love the subject. I got an A at alevel but had to work harder for it than any of the other subjects I did (you basically have to memorise 2 text books full of content). At my sixth form it didn't matter if you hadn't done geography a level as it was quite different to GCSE but I guess that depends on the exam board tbh. Good luck for your GCSEs :smile:

Did you find it manageable doing 4? I am glad that I have found some people who actually say they like Chemistry (All I ever hear is people saying they hate it and find it really difficult - which isn't reassuring)
I find biology very interesting and it is by far my favourite subject at GCSE and will always be willing to put in work for it :colondollar:
I think I want to do a 4th in case I fail one of the other 3 A levels, but by doing 4 am I increasing the chances of failing due to lack of revision time?

Thank you:smile:
Reply 18
They werent too bad actually.
It probably changed since i did my a-levels. But there were a lot of case studies The case studies werent too bad actuallt though. There was a bit more in the way of essays etc in year 13. But even then they werent too bad.

Do you have to remember the case studies off by heart?
Do you have to remember the case studies off by heart?

You dont have to remember every single detail about them, but you have to remember the main points about them- i.e. what happened, the effects etc. Most of them arent to hard to remember. Its mainly the exact figures that me and others found hardest to remember (e.g. 5700 people died). But it doesnt matter if you dont get the figures exactly right during the exam- as long as they are around about the right figure (i.e. not miles out and not over exaggerated or under exaggerated) then you sould be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest