The Student Room Group

Jekyll and Hyde quotes

I'm bad at english lit so can someone help me analyse these:

"The moment I choose, I can be rid of Mr Hyde"

"If he be Mr Hyde, I shall be Mr Seek"

"The powers of Hyde seemed to have grown with the sickness of Jekyll"

"The bones were audibly shattered and the body jumped on the roadway"

any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:)
Original post by 05092000

1. Dr Jekyll believes he can over come Mr Hyde when he wants but this is shown to be false. It's a flaw in his personality (tragedy) that comes to his demise.
2. The only 'funny' part in the book it is a pun. This is said by Utterson who is "never lighted by a smile" this shows how Hyde is infectious with his obsession as it has made a very serious character change his personality through pursuing Hyde.
3. Mr Hyde gets stronger with every transformation so as Dr Jekyll exercises Hyde he gets stronger and will take control.
4. I haven't heard this quote but I'm gunna guess its from the Sir Carew chapter? This shows how violent Hyde was and how he attacked Carew with an "Ape like fury" this is very shocking as when being written is was wrong to disclose such graphic detail. The first edition of JnH was recalled by his wife for being too graphic (violent and sexual).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lmacwilliam
1. Dr Jekyll believes he can over come Mr Hyde when he wants but this is shown to be false. It's a flaw in his personality (tragedy) that comes to his demise.
2. The only 'funny' part in the book it is a pun. This is said by Utterson who is "never lighted by a smile" this shows how Hyde is infectious with his obsession as it has made a very serious character change his personality through pursuing Hyde.
3. Mr Hyde gets stronger with every transformation so as Dr Jekyll exercises Hyde he gets stronger and will take control.
4. I haven't heard this quote but I'm gunna guess its from the Sir Carew chapter? This shows how violent Hyde was and how he attacked Carew with an "Ape like fury" this is very shocking as when being written is was wrong to disclose such graphic detail. The first edition of JnH was recalled by his wife for being too graphic (violent and sexual).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much this has been really helpful for revision for tomorrows exam :smile:

Hyde can also be read as Hide in phonetic spelling. Who said this is referring to the game Hide and Seek.

This is ironic as he cannot, except through death.

This is use of hyperbole, showing how bad Hyde beat Carew
Reply 4
Original post by snazzynjazzy
Hyde can also be read as Hide in phonetic spelling. Who said this is referring to the game Hide and Seek.

This is ironic as he cannot, except through death.

This is use of hyperbole, showing how bad Hyde beat Carew

thank you!!
could you also help me with these quotes:
"dr jekyll grew pale to the very lips, and there came a blackness about his eyes" (chapter 3)
"i can not, even in memory, dwell on it without a start of horror" (lanyon, chapter 6)
thank you!!
could you also help me with these quotes:
"dr jekyll grew pale to the very lips, and there came a blackness about his eyes" (chapter 3)
"i can not, even in memory, dwell on it without a start of horror" (lanyon, chapter 6)

It's coolio

"dr jekyll grew pale to the very lips, and there came a blackness about his eyes"
pale: adj, could foreshadow his death in the end as dead people are pale.
blackness: adj, black is often associated with death(as you see at funerals) and the fact that it is coming from his eyes can show evil or lack of light (hope/god) as the eyes are the gateway to the soul but it is like Jekyll's are being closed off, possibly by Hyde.

"i can not, even in memory, dwell on it without a start of horror"
start of horror: the fact that it is only the "start" of the horror shows that there is an incredible depth to Lanyon's fear. This can also be seen when Layon says that he "had to die" because he saw Jekyll turn into Hyde.
Reply 6
Original post by snazzynjazzy
It's coolio

"dr jekyll grew pale to the very lips, and there came a blackness about his eyes"
pale: adj, could foreshadow his death in the end as dead people are pale.
blackness: adj, black is often associated with death(as you see at funerals) and the fact that it is coming from his eyes can show evil or lack of light (hope/god) as the eyes are the gateway to the soul but it is like Jekyll's are being closed off, possibly by Hyde.

"i can not, even in memory, dwell on it without a start of horror"
start of horror: the fact that it is only the "start" of the horror shows that there is an incredible depth to Lanyon's fear. This can also be seen when Layon says that he "had to die" because he saw Jekyll turn into Hyde.

this analysis is really good thank you :smile:
Also with the bones audibly shattering quote you can mention the writer's use of sensual language to engage and terrify the reader - the examiners like that!
Reply 8
I agrre the audiable shattering of Sir Danvers Carew's bones could indeed be considered as RLS intent on creating a sensual image. Worth noting that this audilbe sound was heard a servant inside her room inside a house. The sound was not heard outside by others - except of course Jekyll and Hyde.

If I may comment I am surprised at some misconceptions here. I have no idea how they have come about.
a) On another thread it is suggested that Fanny Stevenson withdrew the novel from publication. That simply is not true. Interviewed later, Lloyd Stevenson said that RLS after taking three days to complete read to his wife and stepson the incomplete first draft. Fanny usual practice was to put her thinking in writing - which she did on this occasion. Following this was a heated discussion by RLS and his wife which concluded when RLS burnt that first draft. Fanny was aghast. Though she had criticisms of this first draft she did not want it destroyed.

b) J&H is not divided into chapters. The book is entitled “Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.” The operative word is "Case." The book is a detective mystery that is constructed through documents; eight in total and two letters at the end. It is a misunderstanding of the nature of the novella to consider the ten sections as chapters. A novel with sucessive chapters reflects a continuous narrative. That is not the case here. Better to see the different parts of the novella as sections.

c) Jekyll believes he can overcome Hyde when he wants. That is true Jekyll does indeed believe that, but he is wrong. Jekyll's critical error is that his initial decision to experiment and find a way to tame the eveil in man. The problem is that when the experiment succeeded jekyll abandoned any further experiment and simply used Hyde for his own pleasure. Had he continued to experiment he would have been alerted to two aspects about the potion that he was ignorant of.
i. The potion required to be taken regularly. Jekyll, frightened by Hyde transforming himself one morening in August made Jekyll decide to not continue to take the potion. The consequence of that is that when in October he did return to the potion the absence of the potion created a very unstable Hyde. Something that Jekyll recognised but he went out all the same and that was the night Carew was murdered.
ii. Not until quite late did jekyll become aware that another consequence of the potion was that the portion made the Hyde psyche stronger. Only at the end of the novella was Jekyll aware of this problem. Both of these are a direct consequence of Jekyll deciding to cease his study and experimentation.

d) Hyde as a violent person. Yes Hyde violently murders Sir Danvers Carew, however as pointed out above there are mitigating reasons suggesting that Jekyll also bears some of the blame. Unless the novella is studied in detail, people tend to miss this critical point. From conception of the experiment to when the novella begins approximately ten years have passed. Through the novella around two years elapse. So the full extent of the novella lasts around twelve years.
Now within the novella there are three violent incidents: The young girl; Sir Danvers Carew and the woman in Regents Park. The young girl was an accident - even jekyll states that. The striking of the woman in Regents park took place when Hyde was hurrying to Lanyon's residence to transform back to jekyll.
So what on earth was Jekyll doing during those twelve years? The answer was satisfying his personal pleasure.

However - and this is seldom understood - what happened in all those three incidents. Answer Hyde was approahced - he never approached other incuding these three. The girl bumped into him; Sir Davers approached him and the woman also approached him. Further look very closely at how Hyde is described when Sir Danvers approached him before he was murdered.

Therefore - aside from these three incidents - Hyde is involved in no violence. He apparently keeps to himself. For the murder of Sir Danvers I wonder who is more to blame jekyll or Hyde. I am not convinced students have fully understood Jekyll's part in the murder of Sir Danvers. During the moments of the murder Jekyll fully enjoys the murder he is witnessing and applauds what Hyde is doing.
Reply 9
tyhank you for all the analysis it was rly helpful
thx
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by PoetryBlues
Also with the bones audibly shattering quote you can mention the writer's use of sensual language to engage and terrify the reader - the examiners like that!

*sensory, not sensual

'If he be Mr. Hyde he had thought i shall be Mr. Seek' 'Mr Hyde' is used as a homophone of hide further emphasising that hyde is had to find. The wry pun by Utterson embodying his innate curiosity in the persona of 'Mr Seek' i she uttersons curiosity which drives the action of the novel in his quiet quest to discover what lies behind the mysterious behaviours of Jekyll and Hyde.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending