The Student Room Group

Romeo and Juliet Context/Quotations

Can everyone leave any context they know below to help those who are less familiar with it. I particular want to know context based on the Nurse and their role in that period.

Also, if anyone has significant quotations that should be known please leave them below, I just cant for tomorrow to be over so I never ever have to say or read Shakespeare's name again.
Reply 1
Don't bother learning stuff about the Nurse, she is a minor character in comparison to the others, and for the first year they have to give a question that is accessible to everyone, so she is most likely not going to come up.
Original post by reubm01
Don't bother learning stuff about the Nurse, she is a minor character in comparison to the others, and for the first year they have to give a question that is accessible to everyone, so she is most likely not going to come up.

True but you never know and she isn't that minor considering her role as a mother figure to Juliet is quite important. Am hoping the extract will be quite simple and not as difficult to understand since I hate Shakespearean language as it is.
Reply 3
Original post by Daydreamer3
True but you never know and she isn't that minor considering her role as a mother figure to Juliet is quite important. Am hoping the extract will be quite simple and not as difficult to understand since I hate Shakespearean language as it is.

I think it will be something on tragedy/death or something related to fate and how fate caused their death, as they've already printed something on love and familial relationships if I'm not mistaken.
The chance of the nurse coming up on her own is pretty slim although they may have a question about Juliet and the Nurses' relationship throughout the play.

Quotations
"Thou wast the prettiest babe that ever I nursed" - The nurse has a role that almost makes her Juliet's mother, and treats Juliet as her own daughter, though as we can see by the quote she is not new to nursing babies.

"why, he's a man of wax." - The Nurse is from a very common background, this quote is basically the equivalent of someone today saying, "Oh he's so fit." or what have you (don't write that in the exam) but this does show some level of banter between the Nurse and Juliet as if they were mother and daughter.

"Hie you to church. I must another way, To fetch a ladder, by the which your love Must climb a bird's nest soon when it is dark." - This is the line in which the Nurse helps Romeo and Juliet see each other by fetching a ladder for Romeo. It's this action that shows her devotion to Juliet as a parent as she helps her see the man she loves although it is wrong for her to do so. She values Juliet over her job.

Context
The Nurse is a wet nurse, they were often employed when a mother couldn't or chose not to (most likely in Juliet's case) nurse the baby themselves. They were often women who had recently had a child but would instead go to bring about another women's child if they had lost their own. This is the case with Juliet and the Nurse.

Like was said before the chance of a question coming up about the nurse is very unlikely, I would recommend looking at quotes from other characters, namely Romeo, the Capulets, Juliet, Tybalt and Mercutio. I feel they are most likely to come up.

http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/playmenu.php?WorkID=romeojuliet
This site has a database of all the quotes from characters in Romeo and Juliet including minor characters.

In the case the Nurse does come up however I hope this helps!
i have only started revising for Romeo and Juliet like right this second. I have no idea how to start or what to revise. i really need some help!!!!!!!!!! any tips
Original post by 2421MVincent
The chance of the nurse coming up on her own is pretty slim although they may have a question about Juliet and the Nurses' relationship throughout the play.

Quotations
"Thou wast the prettiest babe that ever I nursed" - The nurse has a role that almost makes her Juliet's mother, and treats Juliet as her own daughter, though as we can see by the quote she is not new to nursing babies.

"why, he's a man of wax." - The Nurse is from a very common background, this quote is basically the equivalent of someone today saying, "Oh he's so fit." or what have you (don't write that in the exam) but this does show some level of banter between the Nurse and Juliet as if they were mother and daughter.

"Hie you to church. I must another way, To fetch a ladder, by the which your love Must climb a bird's nest soon when it is dark." - This is the line in which the Nurse helps Romeo and Juliet see each other by fetching a ladder for Romeo. It's this action that shows her devotion to Juliet as a parent as she helps her see the man she loves although it is wrong for her to do so. She values Juliet over her job.

Context
The Nurse is a wet nurse, they were often employed when a mother couldn't or chose not to (most likely in Juliet's case) nurse the baby themselves. They were often women who had recently had a child but would instead go to bring about another women's child if they had lost their own. This is the case with Juliet and the Nurse.

Like was said before the chance of a question coming up about the nurse is very unlikely, I would recommend looking at quotes from other characters, namely Romeo, the Capulets, Juliet, Tybalt and Mercutio. I feel they are most likely to come up.

http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/playmenu.php?WorkID=romeojuliet
This site has a database of all the quotes from characters in Romeo and Juliet including minor characters.

In the case the Nurse does come up however I hope this helps!

Thank you very much! And yes she probably wont come up but I just wanted some little context on her just to relate it if something about Lady Capulet came up as well.

Do you have an estimation on how many marks out of 64 would be an A?
Just any number that seems appropriate would do
Thank you very much! And yes she probably wont come up but I just wanted some little context on her just to relate it if something about Lady Capulet came up as well.

Do you have an estimation on how many marks out of 64 would be an A?
Just any number that seems appropriate would do

My teacher wrote down an estimation on grades but because this is a new grading system nobody really knows what's what but I would assume

C/5 - 27
B/6 - 38
A/7 - 48
A*/8 - 52
9 - 60

Again this is just an estimated so give or take a few marks. Honestly, this new marking system is a pain but this is what I'm thinking right now. if you hang around in the forums there'll be some predictions of what question is coming on the exam at some point today.
Original post by 2421MVincent
My teacher wrote down an estimation on grades but because this is a new grading system nobody really knows what's what but I would assume

C/5 - 27
B/6 - 38
A/7 - 48
A*/8 - 52
9 - 60

Again this is just an estimated so give or take a few marks. Honestly, this new marking system is a pain but this is what I'm thinking right now. if you hang around in the forums there'll be some predictions of what question is coming on the exam at some point today.

Oh okay thanks! :smile:
I hoping the examiners will be excessively nice and just reward marks because I've had enough of English and hope to never approach anything to do with it again!
Oh okay thanks! :smile:
I hoping the examiners will be excessively nice and just reward marks because I've had enough of English and hope to never approach anything to do with it again!

I feel that. I've been studying romeo and juliet since year 8 and I am so tired of it I can't wait to get it over with.

If you need any more context/quotes for characters though just ask it's good practice for me tbh
Original post by lllllllllllmmmm
i have only started revising for Romeo and Juliet like right this second. I have no idea how to start or what to revise. i really need some help!!!!!!!!!! any tips

Me to!! No idea what to do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending