The Student Room Group

HOW TO CRAM FOR ENGLISH LIT?? (gcse)

Ok, it's not AS bad as it sounds.

I know some quotes, I have a fairly good understanding of my books (Romeo and Juliet, a Christmas carol) but I feel I am lacking context (ao3) and really good analysis of quotes.

Please don't dismiss me as an idiot, I wasted away the time in yr 10 and some of 11 and I was a fool for thinking I was so cool and great but I'm trying to change myself now. I went from bs and cs in my November mocks to a*s and as in my February ones so understand I am hard working!! I am just struggling with English so plsss help me with some last minute revision!

Aiming for a 7/8

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Meant to make this point clearer, could you please point me to somewhere to learn some good ao3 context for my books which I can apply to most themes
Original post by tsr110022
Meant to make this point clearer, could you please point me to somewhere to learn some good ao3 context for my books which I can apply to most themes

BBC Bitesize has some good content...
You could also do a google search like 'Romeo and Juliet context' and that comes up with plenty of stuff.
Reply 3
Hey, I'm cramming too. I'm going to read through the revision guides before I sleep
Reply 4
Original post by haseeb_jarral786
BBC Bitesize has some good content...
You could also do a google search like 'Romeo and Juliet context' and that comes up with plenty of stuff.

Reply 5
Original post by kflora
Hey, I'm cramming too. I'm going to read through the revision guides before I sleep

Which guides?
Reply 6
Which guides?

CGP and york notes
Mr Bruff's videos- got me an A* last year :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by kflora
CGP and york notes

Hard copies or ebooks?
Reply 9
Original post by Divergent4
Mr Bruff's videos- got me an A* last year :smile:

I know this sounds like a stupid question but what do you recommend I do with his videos? Considering my exam is tomorrow morning?
Reply 10
Hard copies
and just absorb what Mr Bruff is saying tbh- he's really good
Original post by kflora
CGP and york notes

CGP books are honestly the worst for English literature. Although they may be "concise", as in they get straight to the point, the level of language used is basic and the analysis is incredibly shallow.
Reply 12
What do you recommend I do?
Reply 13
Original post by kflora
Hard copies
and just absorb what Mr Bruff is saying tbh- he's really good

Reply 14
I usually wing English but I'm aiming for an 8/9 (predicted grade) and I'm rereading the novels/plays so I'm not sure what else I can do last minute
Reply 15
Original post by FopePrancis
CGP books are honestly the worst for English literature. Although they may be "concise", as in they get straight to the point, the level of language used is basic and the analysis is incredibly shallow.

see above ^
I know this sounds like a stupid question but what do you recommend I do with his videos? Considering my exam is tomorrow morning?

Just go through the playlists, skipping any of the topics you feel you are fairly good at, and try to make BRIEF notes on the ones you do watch- this will prevent you from losing concentration.
Reply 17
Original post by kflora
I usually wing English but I'm aiming for an 8/9 (predicted grade) and I'm rereading the novels/plays so I'm not sure what else I can do last minute

How are you going to get an 8/9 though :frown: if you are just rereading
Reply 18
How are you going to get an 8/9 though :frown: if you are just rereading

Ive done some actual revision lmaoo I'm just ensuring that I'm familiar with the text as it is closed book
Reply 19
As in I get the themes and all and can analyse language structure and form when it comes to it- I just need to do a bit more cramming

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending