The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hiya! This is a nice exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself

Good luck in your exams
Original post by T.S.10
Hey have u got access to AQA ALEVEL physics set 2 papers, not the AS ones (Alevel ones), if so could you send it to me or post the links in the srudent room.I did the paper and it was sooo diffcult, so I would like to redo some questions again.
Thanks.

Yea has any one got this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^please :smile:
What is the uncertainty of a top pan balance? Would it be +-0.005 since we got measurements to 2dp e.g 2.66g ?
Original post by wannabe_lawyer
chrome-extension://ecnphlgnajanjnkcmbpancdjoidceilk/content/web/viewer.html?file=https%3A%2F%2Flearnzone.loucoll.ac.uk%2Fpluginfile.php%2F194272%2Fmod_resource%2Fcontent%2F1%2F7407-1%2520Paper%25201%2520QP%2520v1.1%2520Scanned%2520handwritten%2520answers.pdf

Hi, don't know if u still need the answer since u posted a long tiome ago but.. basically, the used the conservation of energy.
total energy before = KE of positron + rest energy of Positron = rest energy of electron = 2000 + 2(511). Convert this into jouls and you'll get 16.4x10^-14
total energy after has to equal total energy before, so 16.4x10^-14 is the energy of 2 photons. divide this by two to get the energy of 1 photon = 8.2x10^-14

hope that helps :smile:
Do we need to know any practicals for paper 1???
Original post by bubblegum219
Do we need to know any practicals for paper 1???

yes they may ask to describe a method for finding a value experimentally e.g young modulus of a wire or wavelength of light.
Original post by dan1yar18
yes they may ask to describe a method for finding a value experimentally e.g young modulus of a wire or wavelength of light.

Oh ok. thank you
Hi,
Does anybody know how to answer Q1 in the AS level paper 2 specimen paper. I've read the mark scheme for the question but have no idea how some of the answers have been arrived at.
This is the link to the paper: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/AQA-74072-SQP.PDF
Thanks
Roy
Original post by RoyDylan
Hi,
Does anybody know how to answer Q1 in the AS level paper 2 specimen paper. I've read the mark scheme for the question but have no idea how some of the answers have been arrived at.
This is the link to the paper: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/AQA-74072-SQP.PDF
Thanks
Roy

Which specific part of Q1?
Original post by crashMATHS
Which specific part of Q1?
all parts apart from part 2
Original post by not_lucas1
What is the uncertainty of a top pan balance? Would it be +-0.005 since we got measurements to 2dp e.g 2.66g ?

Yes it would be.

Original post by RoyDylan
Hi,
Thanks
Roy

The uncertainty of something (in this context) is +- 1/2 a degree of accuracy || resolution of the instrument being used.
Original post by HARRYCROOKS
Please help. it is believed the chocolate bar question is on my mock in 10 mins. HELP NOW

Probably too late but I'll put it here for anyone who's curious.

Microwave ovens

Microwave ovens have microwave transmitters on the side of them facing towards the opposite side of the microwave. There's a metal cover inside microwave ovens, microwaves reflect off of the cover (fixed end points), this forms a stationary wave.

Now imagine that your plate (inside the oven) wasn't rotating and you placed a chocolate bar inside the microwave oven, it would result in only certain points of the chocolate bar melting; these positions are the points of near maximum amplitude of the stationary waves formed, otherwise known as the antinodes. You can measure the distance between two of these points (in metres) to work out the wavelength; 2*Distance between 2 adjacent antinodes = wavelength.

This is why microwave ovens have a rotating disc, to make sure that more is warmed up. It's usually easier for water molecules inside foods to heat up, this causes the surrounding food to warm up. That's why tomatoes (if you've ever tried it) warm up quite a bit once you place them in a microwave oven and other foods don't.
Hi, I know this may sound stupid, but i'm getting confused because i don't know what are the exact topics for paper 1 As physics can someone help me please ?
Original post by Lizzy72
Hi, I know this may sound stupid, but i'm getting confused because i don't know what are the exact topics for paper 1 As physics can someone help me please ?

Have a look at the contents page. Shows you the topics needed for paper 1 (anything without "Alevel Only" next to it
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/specifications/AQA-7407-7408-SP-2015.PDF
Reply 1134
Does anyone have a mark scheme for this paper?

Quick Reply

Latest