The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's annoying society is always looking to classify. I am glad you have something about yourself, it's great :smile:

Obviously everyone has a race, but the world would be so much better colourless, that way, there'd be no such thing as a 'black style', which is definitely generalising and falling to the traps of stereotypes. Hate is a strong word, I'd advise you to be careful when using it.

Black is a race, White is a race, nothing more in my opinion, it has no affect on your personality. Plus, people who are black have a huge range of ethnic backgrounds, all with different cultures, from the carribean to Africa to wherever. It could be fair to say Nigerian culture or something, but I'd avoid saying black style creating a style for an entire race is a societal slip up, it makes no sense,You know you're biologically 3/4 black 1/4 white, but what you identify as is your choice, you have the freedom.

There is discrimination to face, yes, but it's no where near as bad as it was, it's getting better , and you're an example that people dont fit in nea, clean cut groups.

I'm British Indian, born and raised in Surrey( Middle class for sure ) , it isn't my race but more my exposure and influences which I take to be part of my personality. I certainly think more like someone british ( majority of whom are white) than indian, but I embrace India's food, festivals and other arts.in the end, you're the decision maker. whatever you identify as, what's most important is that you're an individual above anything, unique. Don't stress about this,whatever your race, good people are much more focused on your personality, skills and qualities.
You're more black than you're white so how the hell can you say that you class yourself as white, there is no logic in what you said. Maybe you should be white, you invalid.
??? You want to be classified as white even though you are only 1/4?
You need a psychologist or something. Self hate game so strong.
I think you just round up bro.
You're Black and so is your mother! If you have African blood in you then in the west you're Black. My father is Black, my mother is white but I identify myself as Black and I'm proud of my Black heritage (although I am also mixed race). I also don't deny my white heritage as I live in the UK I'm reminded of it all the time! The deeper questions are: why would you NOT want to identify yourself as Black? Are you ashamed? Do you hate yourself?

If you don't love yourself and the people you're from, don't expect any one else (including your white friends) to respect you either! Educate yourself on your beautiful Black history/heritage and you might learn to love yourself. I'm not saying to deny your White heritage, but that's everywhere. Not sure where your parents are form but many people from the Caribbean are in some way mixed with white blood (due to rapist slave masters) so according to your logic many of them would not be considered Black!
Reply 145
I'm the other way round - 1 quarter African and 3 quarters white Irish/English/polish.

I actually came across this post because, being 'my colour'', certain products won't work on me (such as fake tan for those sickly pins). I would say the vast majority of white people recognise me as white, with the vast majority of black and mixed race recognising me as mixed-race.

My advice would be accept people's perception of you, I consider myself as mixed-race but accept half the world thinks I'm white. In saying this, you will be recognised as black, and there are many succesful black professionals whom you might identify withh - but in truth you are mixed and have a rich white heritage.

Colour really should not bound us, it's just an element to who we are.
Reply 146
there is literally like no full quarter black person in the world unless you go to certain places in Africa. But she's black, whether she likes it or not. She is mostly black, so I don't know why she is trying to act like she white, when majority rules. The white folks are always gonna see her as black, and she said so herself she look black. I'm black (not fully obvi, but my dads black, my moms black, and my grandparents are too, and even though my mom is a light skin and I have 3b hair that makes me look more like a griffe, I'm black. All she did was piss me off, trying to pretend like she white.
i'd say ur mixed, it's not like mixed people have to be half and half
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm a middle class teenager who is three quartres black and a quarter

My mother is half white and half black, her father is black and her mother is white (British). My father is black (African) I don't really know him and so I'm much more tied to my mothers side.

I don't associate with black British as I dislike their style and don't consider myself black. I also live in a middle-class area and so there aren't many blacks of whom I can associate with anyway. I feel that I fit in with white people better.

My skin colour is sort of average black, so obviously I look quite black. However my hair isn't as coarse as the average black British African and it is wavy/ straight when short ( sort of Asian) and so I am able to apply hair products which black people don't use; such as matt clay, texture gum and styling gel.

I personally consider myself white as I believe if you white in you then you're white. Why not? Some people who are quarter black consider themselves as black.. My grandmother is an original white English person, so I feel quite white and English.

I know that the actual category for me would be mixed race in all honesty and i can accept that. I'm interested to know if people consider an individual who is three quarter black as black or mixed.

The bold word.
Original post by MsSal
I'm the other way round - 1 quarter African and 3 quarters white Irish/English/polish.

I actually came across this post because, being 'my colour'', certain products won't work on me (such as fake tan for those sickly pins). I would say the vast majority of white people recognise me as white, with the vast majority of black and mixed race recognising me as mixed-race.

My advice would be accept people's perception of you, I consider myself as mixed-race but accept half the world thinks I'm white. In saying this, you will be recognised as black, and there are many succesful black professionals whom you might identify withh - but in truth you are mixed and have a rich white heritage.

Colour really should not bound us, it's just an element to who we are.

You're quarter-cast meaning you're not fully white in the technical term. I have a quarter-cast cousin. Some quarter-cast people are lit, Afro-textured hair and big lips but white features aswell ( not saying European facial features are everything just saying ) but most people will see you as white. My quarter-cast cousin looks white
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bubblegumcat
i'd say ur mixed, it's not like mixed people have to be half and half

They're black. Rihanna is 3/4 black and 1/4 white and she looks black. Who classes her as mixed. I know some people 3/4 black 1/4 white look mixed / lighter skin but still. OP is black
Original post by Jjmin
there is literally like no full quarter black person in the world unless you go to certain places in Africa. But she's black, whether she likes it or not. She is mostly black, so I don't know why she is trying to act like she white, when majority rules. The white folks are always gonna see her as black, and she said so herself she look black. I'm black (not fully obvi, but my dads black, my moms black, and my grandparents are too, and even though my mom is a light skin and I have 3b hair that makes me look more like a griffe, I'm black. All she did was piss me off, trying to pretend like she white.

Quarter cast people are quarter black
My grandad was 3/4ths black and 1/4 white ....and he thought of himself as black and so did the rest of us.

I don't think 1/4th white is enough to start claiming mixed race

I can't remember what my grandads parents were ....but my great great grandad was white I know. So probably his wife was black. The baby was mixed race, and this mixed race baby married a black person ....and the resulting baby must have been my grandad...........
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
My grandad was 3/4ths black and 1/4 white ....and he thought of himself as black and so did the rest of us.

I don't think 1/4th white is enough to start claiming mixed race

I can't remember what my grandads parents were ....but my great great grandad was white I know. So probably his wife was black. The baby was mixed race, and this mixed race baby married a black person ....and the resulting baby must have been my grandad...........

Rihanna is 3/4 Black and 1/4 White and she looks black
Original post by elmosandy
They're black. Rihanna is 3/4 black and 1/4 white and she looks black. Who classes her as mixed. I know some people 3/4 black 1/4 white look mixed / lighter skin but still. OP is black

rihanna grew up in barbados so she would obviously identify with being black....OP doesnt have as much exposure to their black side so theyre not comfortable saying they're black..who are you to dictate who OP say they are? it would make sense for them to identify with being white more since they grew up with more exposure to that side...of course its always up to OP to decide who they are..not us
rihanna grew up in barbados so she would obviously identify with being black....OP doesnt have as much exposure to their black side so theyre not comfortable saying they're black..who are you to dictate who OP say they are? it would make sense for them to identify with being white more since they grew up with more exposure to that side...of course its always up to OP to decide who they are..not us

Most people who are 3/4 black look black. Like I said, on this post in 2015 my ex boyfriend is 3/4 black and 1/4 white and classes himself as black, I see him as black, he sees himself as black, everyone sees him as black, he's been born here, he's not even light skinned, this is how most 3/4 black people look like, so I don't know what Rihanna being born in Barbados has anything to do with it. OP is saying they're white when they're not even mixed.
Most people who are 3/4 black look black. Like I said, on this post in 2015 my ex boyfriend is 3/4 black and 1/4 white and classes himself as black, I see him as black, he sees himself as black, everyone sees him as black, he's been born here, he's not even light skinned, this is how most 3/4 black people look like, so I don't know what Rihanna being born in Barbados has anything to do with it. OP is saying they're white when they're not even mixed.

and i know 3/4 black person who has green eyes and tanned skin...and he feels more comfortable identifying as mixed race/white since he didnt have much exposure to his black side, only his white. I'm talking about her being born in barbados because theres a lot of black people there and she obviously had more exposure to her black side rather than her white which is why she is seen as black. It seems that a mixed race person's level of exposure to the cultures they come from seems to dictate which culture they identify with more rather than their appearance....the definition of mixed race seems to be subjective which is obviously what you don't see....so if OP wants to identify as white then let them
and i know 3/4 black person who has green eyes and tanned skin...and he feels more comfortable identifying as mixed race/white since he didnt have much exposure to his black side, only his white. I'm talking about her being born in barbados because theres a lot of black people there and she obviously had more exposure to her black side rather than her white which is why she is seen as black. It seems that a mixed race person's level of exposure to the cultures they come from seems to dictate which culture they identify with more rather than their appearance....the definition of mixed race seems to be subjective which is obviously what you don't see....so if OP wants to identify as white then let them

In society there isn't a subjective. You don't have to be around or grow up with black people to know in society if you're not white in colour or full white in race you're considered black. ( hence that's why the term quarter-cast exists). I could live with my white grandparents I would still know i'm mixed, it would be stupid to think i'm 'white' / don't associate with the black side of me. It's nothing to do with a mixed raced person being brought up in a certain culture, There's lots of full dark black people being with/growing up with white people and liking white culture or prefer to date white people and still know they're black. I know as a mixed raced person claiming or feeling i'm ' white' or not realising im still black is stupid. Your friend can feel he's mixed-raced/ or more white as much as he wants. Society still classes him black no matter how light. I did say there are 3/4 who are light skinned but most look full black in appearance. The Rihanna argument is stupid as my ex boyfriend knew he was still black and grew up with his mixed-raced mum, he never claimed to be mixed raced. The OP claiming to be white is absurd, so is your light skinned friend. I couldn't claim I was white and i'm 1/2 mixed black and white. Agree to disagree it's 03.29am
(edited 6 years ago)
In society there isn't a subjective. You don't have to be around or grow up with black people to know in society if you're not white in colour or full white in race you're considered black. ( hence that's why the term quarter-cast exists). I could live with my white grandparents I would still know i'm mixed, it would be stupid to think i'm 'white' / don't associate with the black side of me. It's nothing to do with a mixed raced person being brought up in a certain culture, There's lots of full dark black people being with/growing up with white people and liking white culture or prefer to date white people and still know they're black. I know as a mixed raced person claiming or feeling i'm ' white' or not realising im still black is stupid. Your friend can feel he's mixed-raced/ or more white as much as he wants. Society still classes him black no matter how light. I did say there are 3/4 who are light skinned but most look full black in appearance. The Rihanna argument is stupid as my ex boyfriend knew he was still black and grew up with his mixed-raced mum, he never claimed to be mixed raced. The OP claiming to be white is absurd, so is your light skinned friend. I couldn't claim I was white and i'm 1/2 mixed black and white. Agree to disagree it's 03.29am

well i'm not mixed so my opinion doesn't really matter tbh, but i'm sure there are some mixed race people who won't agree with what you say so go take it up with them
Reply 159
What you mean you not black you white? You black. Wtf is wrong with being black? Self hate as its finest. That's so sad. You should be ashamed. Them white people don't claim you, so you better get used to it. Be proud of who you are.

Latest

Trending

Trending