The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology - Monday 22nd Paper 2

Hi guys,

hope everyone found paper one okay, paper two on Monday!
Any suggestions for essay topics?

Im hoping for social learning theory, behaviourist approach or definitions of abnormality :colondollar:

Good luck :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
topics which havent come up yet :

The origins of psychology, Wundt, introspection and the emergence of psychology as a science.

The emergence of cognitive neuroscience

The divisions of the nervous system: central and peripheral (somatic and autonomic)

The structure and function of sensory, relay and motor neurons.

The function of the endocrine system: glands and hormones.

The fight or flight response including the role of adrenaline.

Definitions of abnormality (learn them all)

The behavioural, emotional and cognitive characteristics of phobias, depression and OCD

The behavioural to explaining phobias (two process model)

The cognitive approach to explaining depression (Beck’s negative triad + Ellis ABC Model)

Biological therapies for OCD: drug therapy.

Reply 2
Original post by m300
topics which havent come up yet :

The origins of psychology, Wundt, introspection and the emergence of psychology as a science.

The emergence of cognitive neuroscience

The divisions of the nervous system: central and peripheral (somatic and autonomic)

The structure and function of sensory, relay and motor neurons.

The function of the endocrine system: glands and hormones.

The fight or flight response including the role of adrenaline.

Definitions of abnormality (learn them all)

The behavioural, emotional and cognitive characteristics of phobias, depression and OCD

The behavioural to explaining phobias (two process model)

The cognitive approach to explaining depression (Beck’s negative triad + Ellis ABC Model)

Biological therapies for OCD: drug therapy.

Oh, Thankyou very much!
I'm hoping for as little as possible on biopsyhology as that's is my weakest area

Thankyou
OMG. what did u guys write for social learning theory? And skinner's reinforcement research???
I was so happy when definitions of abnormality came up. I was hoping it would come up and it did.
What did u write for the flooding and systematic desensitisation questions????
Reply 5
Original post by aspire.1a
I was so happy when definitions of abnormality came up. I was hoping it would come up and it did.

SD is constituted gradually (least feared to most feared), deep muscle relaxation techniques taught to cope with stress & flooding involves immediate contact with phobic situation + anxiety controlling techniques are also taught
WTAF was the multiple choice answer???? I put D.
Original post by Adnan1996

I put A I think as Cognitive was mental process and neuro of the brain or something along the lines of that
Reply 8
Original post by Adnan1996

I put A because I thought cognitive neuroscience was about looking at biological structures that underpin the cognitive processes?¿

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, grade boundaries?? and what did you put for 12 marker of SLT, what if I said when his sister did the phone thing it's imitation vicarious reinforcement then explained via mediational processes role models etc and for the pen thing I also said it was vicarious then also said it was negative reinforcement!! how many AO1 marks would I lose!
Guys that paper was really nice. :biggrin:
Original post by Abirella
Guys that paper was really nice. :biggrin:

what did you put for 12 marker plus last question on follow up study
Original post by Account user
Hey guys, grade boundaries?? and what did you put for 12 marker of SLT, what if I said when his sister did the phone thing it's imitation vicarious reinforcement then explained via mediational processes role models etc and for the pen thing I also said it was vicarious then also said it was negative reinforcement!! how many AO1 marks would I lose!

I feel like the grade boundaries will be quite high for this paper because so many people have said it was good. They're really good AO1 points, I did the same! I also gave a brief sentence about what social learning theory is (i.e how it only takes place in social contexts and it's about one person wanting to be like another). I wrote about identification too though and that because the two people are siblings, then it's likely they share similar physical characteristics which increases the likelihood of social learning theory taking place. Also how John is the live model providing examples of the behaviour to be learned in this situation but there can also be symbolic models such as someone portrayed in the media
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MeganMcAlister
I feel like the grade boundaries will be quite high for this paper because so many people have said it was good. They're really good AO1 points, I did the same! I also gave a brief sentence about what social learning theory is (i.e how it only takes place in social contexts and it's about one person wanting to be like another). I wrote about identification too though and that because the two people are siblings, then it's likely they share similar physical characteristics which increases the likelihood of social learning theory taking place. Also how John is the live model providing examples of the behaviour to be learned in this situation but there can also be symbolic models such as someone portrayed in the media

Because I contradicted myself in the AO1 by saying the pen thing was both negative reinforcement and vicarious how many marks would I lose also I talked bout characteristics but said model as olders so higher in social status! don't know what I was thinking and what did you write for the flight or fight I talked only bout adrenaline and the medulla and the changes like heart rate etc finally what was the answer to the follow up study improving previous one question?
(edited 6 years ago)
OMG. what did u guys write for social learning theory? And skinner's reinforcement research???

Hi there,
Hope you found that exam okay, I'm pretty happy with the majority.

Skinners research I wrote that the rat was in a cage where it was given electric shocks. If the rat pushed the leaver then it would avoid the shocks and be rewarded food. I then went on to say how it was positively reinforced ( food) negitively reinforced ( press lever to avoid shocks ) and punished ( shocks)

For SLT -
A01
I explained bandura study with bo bo doll, then gave definitions of identification and modelling. Then I gave definitions and linked to the stem for imitation and vicarious reinforcement

A03
fox and bailenson - models either exercising or loitering, identification support
Akers - criminals have violent role models
Siegel and McCormick - criticised : deviant attitudes before peer contact

Can't guarentee I'm right but that's what I put

Me too !!!
Was that the 2 marks each ??

I put
SD - gradual exposure, fear hierarchy and relaxation techniques. For example - drawing a spider then eventually holding one

F - immediate exposure. Can be invivo or in vitro. Eg - being put Ina. Room with spiders
Omg help For the extraneous variable question I put there might be situational variables such as weather, if it was sunny and really hot they may be uncomforable and lack concentration Do you think I'll get any marks / 3 ???
Original post by Account user
Because I contradicted myself in the AO1 by saying the pen thing was both negative reinforcement and vicarious how many marks would I lose also I talked bout characteristics but said model as olders so higher in social status! don't know what I was thinking and what did you write for the flight or fight I talked only bout adrenaline and the medulla and the changes like heart rate etc finally what was the answer to the follow up study improving previous one question?

No what you wrote for the SLT question is fine!! Vicarious reinforcement is simply the individual observing the consequence of a particular behaviour (hence the term vicarious). I'd say you'd get 4 or 5 for AO1 but only because you didn't include identification or modelling.

I'm the same for the fight or flight question, I wrote about the whole process rather than stating what it was actually for :frown:

I said that the follow up study was an improvement because it used participants that are the same age so overall health and maturity levels etc may be similar, then how a stratified sample is used which is useful because there are people in schools with different levels of intelligence (so you could choose the top 20, middle them lowest 20 etc), and then how a questionnaire using closed questions was used in the original study and how social desirability bias may play a factor and then contrasted that to actually testing cognitive abilities in the follow up study
I put for that one that there may be a physical issue such as hearing impairment or vision impairment which may effect the results, no clue if thats right
Original post by Lauren9699
I put for that one that there may be a physical issue such as hearing impairment or vision impairment which may effect the results, no clue if thats right

That's fine but you would need to be specific to get the full 2 marks. You could say that visual impairments would mean participants find it harder to spot the difference and thus take longer which will have an impact on the results (such as increasing the mean) and therefore can't be generalised to the whole population

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending