This poll is closed

How did you find this exam?

Amazing! :woo: 38%
Good :H 30%
OKAY. :bebored: 26%
Bad... :cry2: 4%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@2%
Total votes: 53
Who else is sitting this exam? How are you feeling for it? I couldn't find an existing thread so I made this one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hate d2 so I'm pretty nervous for this. The last two paper should have been decent so hopefully this one should be similar
Dont want to jinks myself but im feeling okay, i think its the nicest maths exam im sitting this year. I self taught it though so thats making me a little nervous!
Original post by SWISH99
I hate d2 so I'm pretty nervous for this. The last two paper should have been decent so hopefully this one should be similar

Hopefully!
Original post by Tpdinvilliers
Dont want to jinks myself but im feeling okay, i think its the nicest maths exam im sitting this year. I self taught it though so thats making me a little nervous!

Yeah I agree, it's a good module imo. Why did you have to teach yourself?
Original post by mozerellaman
Yeah I agree, it's a good module imo. Why did you have to teach yourself?

Basically i realised i couldnt think of anything worse than sitting m3, which the rest of my fm class was doing! I think it was a good choice but it meant i am the only person in my school taking the exam
Reply 6
Has anyone done the d2 Solomon paper A.
I'm struggling with 5(b)
Basically i realised i couldnt think of anything worse than sitting m3, which the rest of my fm class was doing! I think it was a good choice but it meant i am the only person in my school taking the exam

Oh right! Tbh that isn't a bad decision. I've not done M3 but I'd imagine it's a lot harder than D2.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SWISH99
Has anyone done the d2 Solomon paper A.
I'm struggling with 5(b)

in part a you should have found p by finding the intersection between two lines represting e(x) for two of y's stratgies,find the e(x) when the stratagy you found for x is used and this should also be the e(x) for y's optimal stratagy. the only two of y's stratgies you need to look at are the two that made up the intersection in part a) and for each of them you just do 4q -3(1-q)=e(x) or whatever and solve for q. if you get the same for both you've probably got the right answer! (sorry if this is vague, i wasnt sure if you wanted to know the answer to part a, i can clarify more if you want) hope this helps
Reply 9
in part a you should have found p by finding the intersection between two lines represting e(x) for two of y's stratgies,find the e(x) when the stratagy you found for x is used and this should also be the e(x) for y's optimal stratagy. the only two of y's stratgies you need to look at are the two that made up the intersection in part a) and for each of them you just do 4q -3(1-q)=e(x) or whatever and solve for q. if you get the same for both you've probably got the right answer! (sorry if this is vague, i wasnt sure if you wanted to know the answer to part a, i can clarify more if you want) hope this helps

Thanks so much!
Any predictions for what type of questions we might get?
Original post by SWISH99
Thanks so much!
Any predictions for what type of questions we might get?

Looking at the past papers it seems to be pretty standard each time: make a bipartite graph and improve a matching, allocations with the hungarian algorithm, draw an activity network, then find some schedual to fit certain conditions, then a dynamic programming and some game theory questions.They might just make it difficult with the schedualing in the critical path stuff or having to create the dynamic tabulation from some wierd circumstances rather than just giving a diagram but... other than that it all seems quite predictable (knock on wood lol)

Hmmm

So y shouldn't play y3 at all?
I've never really come across a similar question
Original post by SWISH99
Hmmm

So y shouldn't play y3 at all?
I've never really come across a similar question

You only consider the stratagies that were involed in the maximin intersection that you found! I think in the question it was y2 and y3 but i might be misremembering! But yeah, essentially y only plays two of their stratgies. I dont think ive seen a question where you needed to do that in the past papers but its part of the course so it could come up. I had complety forgotten about it untill you asked about that question tbh.
You only consider the stratagies that were involed in the maximin intersection that you found! I think in the question it was y2 and y3 but i might be misremembering! But yeah, essentially y only plays two of their stratgies. I dont think ive seen a question where you needed to do that in the past papers but its part of the course so it could come up. I had complety forgotten about it untill you asked about that question tbh.

Ah i guess that makeshift sense. Thanks again!
Do you guys show the floats when drawings cascade diagrams?
Can we do bipartite graphs in pencil?
Original post by SWISH99
Do you guys show the floats when drawings cascade diagrams?

yeah i think so! better play it safe even if not all mark schemes require you to. im shaky on cascade diagrams though, they dont seem to come up very often in past papers though
Original post by SWISH99
Can we do bipartite graphs in pencil?

yeah, diagrams can be done in pencil.
Does anyone have a certain way to go about the schedule questions? Always spend far too long on them to get it wrong in the end
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jacklfc99
Does anyone have a certain way to go about the schedule questions? Always spend far too long on them to get it wrong in the end

Im the same with the dynamic programming ones when they dont give you a diagram :/ timing is the worst part of d2 imo. If the schedual is in the minimum time then always put the critial activities in first, slotting the rest around should be easy. If not, theyre still the best place to start. If you get stuck/its taking a while then work backwards from the end for a bit, sometimes thats easier.
Imo the best thing to do is to always draw a resouce histogram and treat it like you're playing tetris but i tend to work well visually so it might not work for you. Do it in pencil and just draft and redraft untill you get there tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending