The Student Room Group

GCSE WJEC English Literature 2017

How did everybody find the English literature exam?

I did the Romeo and Juliet which was all right - except I didn't like the extract. The poetry was good as we did the question on sonnet 43 before however I just forgot all my English skills and it wasn't as good as it could have been.

Hope the grade boundaries are lowwww
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RedRain
How did everybody find the English literature exam?

I did the Romeo and Juliet which was all right - except I didn't like the extract. The poetry was good as we did the question on sonnet 43 before however I just forgot all my English skills and it wasn't as good as it could have been.

Hope the grade boundaries are lowwww

I found the exam was manageable. The extract was disgusting but the long essay I aced it. The poetry was good. I compared Sonnet 43 to Valentine.

What was your comparison poem?
I showed up to that exam hoping that love didn't come up in the poetry section but guess what I saw when I flipped to poetry (joy oh joy). I ended up comparing it with The Soldier (love of country) and it worked way too well. They have the same lexical sets, mention death and religion, both are in sonnet format and there's tons of context for Rupert Brooke! I think I saved it in the end but we'll see if it'll all go badly on friday!

Edit: I've got An Inspector Calls and War of the Worlds
Reply 3
Original post by 1ndy123
I found the exam was manageable. The extract was disgusting but the long essay I aced it. The poetry was good. I compared Sonnet 43 to Valentine.

What was your comparison poem?

I completely agree about the extract, I barely had anything to say. But once I saw the Juliet question I couldn't stop smiling because I only revised the characters Romeo and Juliet thoroughly. I also compare sonnet 43 to valentine, most people in my school did that. However I know a few people who compared it to the soldier to stand out.

It was all right but my timing was a bit off (as per usual).
Reply 4
Original post by L2210
I found the Macbeth extract ok to be fair, I was reasonably pleased that Sonnet 43 came up I compared it to She walks in beauty.
Roll on Friday see the end of Literature!
I have An inspector calls and A Christmas carol, any ideas what might come up?

Lucky you, doing inspector calls. Apparently it's meant to be really good. I'm doing Jane Eyre and History boys. Jane eyre is like a 500page novel in which I'm only on page 11. I'm not going to read it, God help me.

I'm going to hunt for some quotes. I'm a little less terrified because this first exam was quite nice- I was expecting it to be tonnes worse. Hopefully the next one is easy on us. The really annoying thing about today isn't that I also had wjec geography and I'd revised loads of case studies however there wasn't much chance to use them- it was such a weird paper.

Anyway good luck with Friday's English exam- I'm sure you will ace it!
Reply 5
Original post by jack_harrison
I showed up to that exam hoping that love didn't come up in the poetry section but guess what I saw when I flipped to poetry (joy oh joy). I ended up comparing it with The Soldier (love of country) and it worked way too well. They have the same lexical sets, mention death and religion, both are in sonnet format and there's tons of context for Rupert Brooke! I think I saved it in the end but we'll see if it'll all go badly on friday!

Edit: I've got An Inspector Calls and War of the Worlds

Wow, good choice! I know a few people that did it to the soldier and I think that's extremely clever as it still fits but it's less obvious than valentines (which is what I compared it to). I really wanted living space/imperceptibly as grief/mametz wood to come up because their the poems I know well. But I was relieved to see sonnet 43 as I had some contextual points memorised.

Hopefully Friday's English exam will be great but I guess only time will tell. Best of luck!
Original post by RedRain
Wow, good choice! I know a few people that did it to the soldier and I think that's extremely clever as it still fits but it's less obvious than valentines (which is what I compared it to). I really wanted living space/imperceptibly as grief/mametz wood to come up because their the poems I know well. But I was relieved to see sonnet 43 as I had some contextual points memorised.

Hopefully Friday's English exam will be great but I guess only time will tell. Best of luck!

I did manhunt to compare -was that ok -I commented on the title-compared sonnet 43 title- answers the form and because she sent 44 sonnets to Robert Browning -context, I also commented on Structure of Sonnet 43-The use of the I love thee is Anaphoric-repeated words to emphasise love but it builds up the rhythm while reinforcing the theme of love -How did you think i do I did other soughts for poetry Form Lang Context effect ... Also I commented on the extract where Mercutio twist Tybalt word to a Consort- Musician -this is back up by the word of Fiddle stick , Shakespeare uses Mercutio in the scene to be comedic which make the audience feel happy but this contrast with the death of mercutio later on -Do you like the last bit and the whole thing
Reply 7
Does anyone know of anyone else who compared it to Afternoons?? Argghhhhh

Also anyone else doing Never Let Me Go on Friday? Would rather vom lol
Reply 8
Original post by ChelseaFc.
I did manhunt to compare -was that ok -I commented on the title-compared sonnet 43 title- answers the form and because she sent 44 sonnets to Robert Browning -context, I also commented on Structure of Sonnet 43-The use of the I love thee is Anaphoric-repeated words to emphasise love but it builds up the rhythm while reinforcing the theme of love -How did you think i do I did other soughts for poetry Form Lang Context effect ... Also I commented on the extract where Mercutio twist Tybalt word to a Consort- Musician -this is back up by the word of Fiddle stick , Shakespeare uses Mercutio in the scene to be comedic which make the audience feel happy but this contrast with the death of mercutio later on -Do you like the last bit and the whole thing

Sounds great! I think you will be fine with comparing it to the manhunt as it is still about love. Oh I wish I'd mentioned about how mercutio was about to die! I'm sure you will get a really good grade, plus I think the grade boundaries will be quite low as they would want the new 9-1 gcse to look like it's working.
Original post by RedRain
Sounds great! I think you will be fine with comparing it to the manhunt as it is still about love. Oh I wish I'd mentioned about how mercutio was about to die! I'm sure you will get a really good grade, plus I think the grade boundaries will be quite low as they would want the new 9-1 gcse to look like it's working.

Cheers I needed clarity 😀
what was the romeo and juliet extract and what were the questions??
Original post by carla4044
what was the romeo and juliet extract and what were the questions??

Don’t really remember. Half a year ago for me but I think the extract was about ‘how does the audience feel’ and the 25 mark question was ‘how is Juliet presented through out the play?’
Thank you! I’ve been told the extract is either act 3 scene 1 (where tybalt killers mercutio) or when Capulet tells Juliet she has to marry Paris on Thursday. Do they ring any bells?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 1ndy123
Don’t really remember. Half a year ago for me but I think the extract was about ‘how does the audience feel’ and the 25 mark question was ‘how is Juliet presented through out the play?’

Thank you! I’ve been told the extract is either act 3 scene 1 (where tybalt killers mercutio) or when Capulet tells Juliet she has to marry Paris on Thursday. Do they ring any
Original post by carla4044
Thank you! I’ve been told the extract is either act 3 scene 1 (where tybalt killers mercutio) or when Capulet tells Juliet she has to marry Paris on Thursday. Do they ring any

Sorry to disappoint but I can only remember the long question and what the extract question was asking for. I can’t remember the exact extract but I think it had something to do with Juliet.
Original post by 1ndy123
Sorry to disappoint but I can only remember the long question and what the extract question was asking for. I can’t remember the exact extract but I think it had something to do with Juliet.

Okay. Thank you!
Original post by UnbelieveableTim
Jekyll and Hyde questions?

Along the lines of how is Hyde presented throughout the novel for 40 marks
Question on Lord of the flies anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending