The Student Room Group

Aqa 23 may as physics exam

If you can remember your answers please post them here.

1. Particles
a. What is particle X, udd = neutron
b.
c. What is the most stable baryon? = proton
d. What are the decay products of a muon = muon neutrino, electron, anti-electron neutrino

2. Electricity
a. resistance of the resistor
15 Ohms
b. EMF when current = 0.18A
c. When the emf = 4V

3. Double slit

4. Forces and Motion
a. Show the power output is 100W
b.
c.
d.
e. How do these factors affect the maximum range? (???)
Mass
Speed

5. Young's double slit

Maximum intensity. Why is the minimum frequency between C-D (minima) not 0?
Intensity is about the number of photons arriving per second, therefore does not affect frequency.

6. Stationary waves

a. Which is an evidence for the wave nature of an electron?
C - Diffraction rings
b. what is the state of 0?
c. what is the state -13.7eV?
d. why are the value negative below 0?
e. 6 marker - Why does the fluorescent tube need a hight pd supply? How does the energy level diagram show the wavelengths of light in the spectrum. Which one wavelength corresponds to 2 energy levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zxcvbnm909

1. Particles
a. What is particle X, udd = neutron
b.
c. What is the most stable baryon? = proton
d. What are the decay products of a muon = muon neutrino, electron, anti-electron neutrino

2. Electricity
15 Ohms
b. EMF when current = 0.18A
c. When the emf = 4V

3. Double slit

4. Forces and Motion
a. Show the power output is 100W
b.
c.
d.
e. How do these factors affect the maximum range? (???)
Mass
Speed

5. Young's double slit

Maximum intensity. Why is the minimum frequency between C-D (minima) not 0?
Intensity is about the number of photons arriving per second, therefore does not affect frequency.

6. Stationary waves

a. Which is an evidence for the wave nature of an electron?
C - Diffraction rings
b. what is the state of 0?
c. what is the state -13.7eV?
d. why are the value negative below 0?
e. 6 marker - Why does the fluorescent tube need a hight pd supply? How does the energy level diagram show the wavelengths of light in the spectrum. Which one wavelength corresponds to 2 energy levels?

1 a) Neutron
b) What is the interaction? Weak interaction
c) What class of particles is the W+ boson in? Gauge Bosons/Exchange Particles
d) Stable baryon is proton
e) Muon goes to muon neutrino, electron, electron-antineutrino

2) a) Why is the graph a curve? Because as current increases it heats since the metal ions in the filament move more so the gradient has to decrease.
b) I think I said it was 15 ohms but can't remember
c) EMF when current was 0.18, you had to find the voltage for the lamp and resistor for that current and add them up but I have forgotten the answer.
d) When the emf = 4, find the current for both and then do V/I to find their resistances. I think it said they were then in parallel so 1/R = 1/R1 = 1/R2. I have forgotten that answer as well though.

3) I don't remember the questions very well.

4) a) Use s = ut to find that the time was 8000s and then use Q = I*t to find the current. Then use P = I * V to find power which was 108W or 110 W (2sf) which is approximately 100W.
I have forgotten a lot of the other questions. I think the resistance on the flat ground was 72N and it's velocity up the slope was 0.6 something ms^-1.

5) To find the frequency of the microwave, you had to say the path difference was twice the wavelength and then work it out from there.

6) Diffraction rings

7) State of 0 is a free electron and the -13.7 would be in the ground state. I think the 0 thing is because the free electrons have 0 and to get there they were given energy so the energy levels must have less energy. I think it's just a convention thing to do with how 0 energy is defined.
Reply 2
The saddest part is that there were no suvat, moments, refraction/TIR, diffraction gratings, 1 multiple choice :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by MattB00
1 a) Neutron

2) a) Why is the graph a curve? Because as current increases it heats since the metal ions in the filament move more so the gradient has to decrease.
c) EMF when current was 0.18, you had to find the voltage for the lamp and resistor for that current and add them up but I have forgotten the answer.
d) When the emf = 4, find the current for both and then do V/I to find their resistances. I think it said they were then in parallel so 1/R = 1/R1 = 1/R2. I have forgotten that answer as well though.

4) a) Use s = ut to find that the time was 8000s and then use Q = I*t to find the current. Then use P = I * V to find power which was 108W or 110 W (2sf) which is approximately 100W.
I have forgotten a lot of the other questions. I think the resistance on the flat ground was 72N and it's velocity up the slope was 0.6 something ms^-1.

5) To find the frequency of the microwave, you had to say the path difference was twice the wavelength and then work it out from there.

6) Diffraction rings

7) State of 0 is a free electron and the -13.7 would be in the ground state. I think the 0 thing is because the free electrons have 0 and to get there they were given energy so the energy levels must have less energy. I think it's just a convention thing to do with how 0 energy is defined.

Q5) Wouldnt the wavelength of the microwave just simply be the path difference, not 2*path difference?
Reply 4
Original post by cotkhd
Q5) Wouldnt the wavelength of the microwave just simply be the path difference, not 2*path difference?

No, because it was the second maximum (apart from the central one).
Reply 5
Original post by cotkhd

No, the path difference is 2 * wavelength because it was the second maximum (excluding the central maximum). At the centre the path difference = 0. At C it would be the wavelength and then at D it is 2 * wavelength.
Where's all the easy **** at

1. Particles
a. udd = neutron
b. boson
c.= proton

2. Electricity
15 Ohms ( i got approx 14.4)
b. EMF when current = 0.18A (you should have used the graph, got something like 3V)
c. Again used the graph got around 6.25 ohms
For the frequency of the wave in the 3rd harmonic; was you supposed to use the speed of light or square root of mass per unit length?
Reply 9
Original post by sammyboyg101
For the frequency of the wave in the 3rd harmonic; was you supposed to use the speed of light or square root of mass per unit length?

no, use the first harmonic equation but alter the equation but alter for third harmonic
Do u guys think it was a easy paper?
EASIER THAN LAST YEARS?
Original post by Nikhila13
Do u guys think it was a easy paper?
EASIER THAN LAST YEARS?

No way...
Original post by Nahid0145
No way...

Nooooo I think this year it was harder
resistance: 14.54545454
resistance in parallel: 6.25
wavelength of wave at the maximum: 3.12763002 x10-3
power: 108
frequency: 1.071428571 x10 10
frequency of third harmonic: 7.5 something
resistance to motion: 72 (I think??)
eV question: 1.89 (which rounded to 1.90)
590 N somewhere
The saddest part is that there were no suvat, moments, refraction/TIR, diffraction gratings, 1 multiple choice :frown:

my exam is yet tomorrow
Original post by Jeetpatni.jp
my exam is yet tomorrow

You haven't done the paper yet?!
You haven't done the paper yet?!

i have my igcse edexcel paper 1 for phy tomorrow with business i do igcse edexcel isnt it the same?
(edited 6 years ago)
Grade boundarys?
Reply 18
Is that AQA 2017 or IGCSE 2017?
Original post by MattB00
1 a) Neutron

6) Diffraction rings

3. a) 3.125mm < 4mm
dont remember the rest XD

4) was 72N and 0.6ms-1 up the slope

mass: higher mass decreases range
speed: higher velocity increases range.

Original post by Sir Dark
resistance: 14.54545454
resistance in parallel: 6.25
wavelength of wave at the maximum: 3.12763002 x10-3
power: 108
frequency: 1.071428571 x10 10
frequency of third harmonic: 7.5 something
resistance to motion: 72 (I think??)
eV question: 1.89 (which rounded to 1.90)
590 N somewhere

All numbers are correct (not sure about the frequency ones because I don't remember them) except resistance is 14.3

Quick Reply

Latest