The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature 9-1 GCSE 2017 - Romeo & Juliet Question

The English Literature Exams are coming up fast next week. Does anybody have any ideas for what sort of questions we can expect, especially on Romeo & Juliet?

For example, in the specimen paper the question was 'To what extent do you agree that Shakespeare portrays Capulet as a good father?' What other themes may questions be based on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Conflict in the play and love or fate.
For Romeo and Juliet the first specimen question was:
'Explain how far you think Shakespeare presents Lord Capulet as a good father.'
And the second specimen question was:
'Explore how Shakespeare presents attitudes towards love in Romeo and Juliet.'
So the first question was about a character, and the second was about a theme. Therefore, would it be fair to predict the question on Monday will be on a character if they're alternating between the two?
Original post by joeyfrazier
For Romeo and Juliet the first specimen question was:
'Explain how far you think Shakespeare presents Lord Capulet as a good father.'
And the second specimen question was:
'Explore how Shakespeare presents attitudes towards love in Romeo and Juliet.'
So the first question was about a character, and the second was about a theme. Therefore, would it be fair to predict the question on Monday will be on a character if they're alternating between the two?

Hi,

Would you be able to send me a link to the second specimen set? I can only find the first one.

Thanks.
Original post by the_nshoesmith
Hi,

Would you be able to send me a link to the second specimen set? I can only find the first one.

Thanks.

Here:
Original post by joeyfrazier
Here:

That's great, thanks.
Just sat the AQA exam today... they asked how Shakespeare presented men as aggressive... except he didn't because, you know, Benvolio. The feuds were what people in the Shakespearean era do anyway, it had nothing to do with men being aggressive, it was to do with defending the family name.AQA, next time do your research before writing an exam paper.
Reply 7
Original post by Student From TSR
Just sat the AQA exam today... they asked how Shakespeare presented men as aggressive... except he didn't because, you know, Benvolio. The feuds were what people in the Shakespearean era do anyway, it had nothing to do with men being aggressive, it was to do with defending the family name.AQA, next time do your research before writing an exam paper.

I did Romeo and Juliet as well but I said that this scene introduced the feud and conflict between both households implying the aggressive behaviour men held triggered many other consequences. Is that ok?
AQA GCSE 2017 ENGLISH LITERATURE PAPER 2 OFFICIAL THREAD- check it out!!😊

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4732162&p=71621658#post71621658
Original post by B-122
I did Romeo and Juliet as well but I said that this scene introduced the feud and conflict between both households implying the aggressive behaviour men held triggered many other consequences. Is that ok?

Yes that's OK. Actually I wrote something similar to do with consequences, but I wrote it for the part when Lord Capulet turns mental against Juliet.
Reply 10
Yes that's OK. Actually I wrote something similar to do with consequences, but I wrote it for the part when Lord Capulet turns mental against Juliet.

I also wrote a similar thing about Romeo's "fire eyed fury" and said that the the 'f' sound created a violent and aggressive tone which foreshadows Romeo's aggressive behaviour.... is that ok?
Original post by B-122
I also wrote a similar thing about Romeo's "fire eyed fury" and said that the the 'f' sound created a violent and aggressive tone which foreshadows Romeo's aggressive behaviour.... is that ok?

Yeah that should be fine.
I talked about sexual innuendo and how men are not only aggressive towards one another but also towards sacred things such as sex
Original post by tabby.m16
I talked about sexual innuendo and how men are not only aggressive towards one another but also towards sacred things such as sex

I said a similar thing, how they were aggressive towards women and their attitudes towards sex. I also wrote about Capulet threatening Juliet and how he uses his male aggression to gain control and authority over her. I dunno, but I couldn't really think of any other examples of aggression after Act 3 apart from Romeo's fight with Paris, but I didn't remember any quotes for it. Was there any other aggression after Act 3?
Original post by SarahBee31
I said a similar thing, how they were aggressive towards women and their attitudes towards sex. I also wrote about Capulet threatening Juliet and how he uses his male aggression to gain control and authority over her. I dunno, but I couldn't really think of any other examples of aggression after Act 3 apart from Romeo's fight with Paris, but I didn't remember any quotes for it. Was there any other aggression after Act 3?

I don't think so.

How did you find Paper 2?

I had a mental breakdown at the Unseen Poetry questions, I thought that both the unseen poems were too challenging... shame, Unseen Poetry is the only part of English I can do...
I don't think so.

How did you find Paper 2?

I had a mental breakdown at the Unseen Poetry questions, I thought that both the unseen poems were too challenging... shame, Unseen Poetry is the only part of English I can do...

I found it ok, mostly the timings were my main challenge. I only managed two points on the Lord of the Flies question, but they were over a page each. I really liked the love and relationships question and didn't even run out of time for it. The unseen wasn't too bad for me, but definately could have been better. I don't think I did enough analysis of them. Or do enough points for the comparison.
I'm sure you did better than you think you have. As long as you did enough analysis and used enough quotes throughout then you probably did fine. I wouldn't worry too much, just focus on language now and think about this: you never have to do english literature again.... Unless you're doing it for A-level...

I just wrote about the constant repetition of violence and aggressive behaviour throughout the play, and it's results. I also wrote about individual character's attitudes towards violence such as Romeo and how he was more inclined to go with heart than head. There wasn't much to pick up on in the extract, but I just related it to context and how the start would please a Shakespearian audience. Also said about how Sampson could be seen as more cowardly than other characters. How closely does that tie with what you did?
Original post by the_nshoesmith
I just wrote about the constant repetition of violence and aggressive behaviour throughout the play, and it's results. I also wrote about individual character's attitudes towards violence such as Romeo and how he was more inclined to go with heart than head. There wasn't much to pick up on in the extract, but I just related it to context and how the start would please a Shakespearian audience. Also said about how Sampson could be seen as more cowardly than other characters. How closely does that tie with what you did?

I talked about the feuds and constant fighting all involving men and Lord Capulet.
Original post by SarahBee31

yes there was when he threatens balthasar but i only remembered that after coming out of the exam, i was so gutted ;(
Hi. What was the A Christmas Carol question was on the exam?

Quick Reply