The Student Room Group

AS Level OCR English Literature Exam (2017 May 19th)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Martins1
I learned loads of quotes, and i guessed either laertes/polonius or ophelia would come up, and i planned those, otherwise i would have done the theme question.

I said:
Yes, he is a clever politician because he gives good advice "to thine ownself be true" etc, because he flatters his way through court "and as you said -and wisely was it said" and because he can be cold and calculating, how he manipulates people, like the H K Aycliff version

No, because he is mocked throughout, reads advice off a piece of paper etc.

No, because of his interaction with ophelia. His good advice is not that great because he only applies it to laertes, showing he's sexist. Therefore he's not that clever. He blames ophelia, yet it is he who is wrong, so when he calls her a baby, maybe its he who is the baby - as hamlet calls him. Rebecca smith said "he trained his daughter to be chaste and obedient and is able to use her as a piece of bait for spying". I said this shows how he cannot spy himself, so he's not a clever politician who can manipulate courts, he relies on ophelia.... and when he does spy behind the arras, he ends up "dead as a ducat" when Hamlet "hath Polonius slain".

No because look at laertes - polonius is his "life-rendering pelican" meaning laertes is like polonius, and polonius still uses him by putting forgeries on him, then i said the word forgeries suggests that polonius forged another of himself in laertes, and i said cos laertes isn't a good politician, cannot speak well and just uses brute force,
we can thus conclude polonius isnt a clever politician, but a doddery old fool.

Wow oh my gosh they'e really good points that's impressive if I'm honest. I planned for Ophelia and really hoped she would come up but alas! I'm so glad the theme question was decent because I never would have been able to do the character question!
Original post by IshaAmaani
I found that aswell, however the context for Rossetti was a little more interesting for me. Next week's exam for me will be on Street Car Named Desire and Bloody Chamber. I hate the Bloody Chamber its too complicated for me lol. Hby?

I'm doing the same! Out of all four bloody chamber is my weakest if I'm honest, i really hope gender comes up though. And for streetcar relationships would be hella good!
I have Gatsby (which I love) and Jerusalem on Wednesday. Does anyone do Jerusalem?? Feel like noone does...

Original post by laureliza
Wow oh my gosh they'e really good points that's impressive if I'm honest. I planned for Ophelia and really hoped she would come up but alas! I'm so glad the theme question was decent because I never would have been able to do the character question!

Haha thanks, hopefully. Unfortunately, "what a noble question was o'erthrown" in the form of Ophelia - i would have loved something like:

"Ophelia caused her own death". Do you agree?
or "Ophelia is used as a tool and stifled through the play" Do you agree?

Or something on Laertes:
"Laertes is the character the most different to Hamlet" Do you agree?
or "Laertes is a bad person." Do you agree?
or "Laertes completely fails to exact revenge." Do you agree?
Anything about Laertes tbh.

I am so glad Gertrude came up last year, I really didn't think she was a good character. I just don't find her very convincing, and I don't think hamlet's obsession with her adds anything to the plot at all - I just couldn't really grasp her, so I'm glad she didn't come up.
Hiya, nice! I did the revenge one for Hamlet because I had loads of quotes & critics; I was pretty okay with it if I'm honest but the Polonius one to me seemed really difficult to write an essay on? I'll be impressed with whoever managed it ngl.

The goblin market one though... I thought that was a low move from OCR in my opinion... It was a bit sucky for comparisons with other poems.

What did you pick?

Did anyone else spend a lot of time talking about hamlet? His antic disposition and how his thinking too precisely leads to revenge not being executed!? Etc inability to kill Claudius in act 3
Original post by evebennettx
I did Chaucer!! I thought the question was sly because you couldn't just focus on one character but there was so much in the extract that the change of fortune was hard to link too! I ran over on the tempest and so I had to rush Chaucer - my essay was honestly just nothing like the ones I've done before!!
Yeah I completely agree, I thought it was a poor question. I had a good amount of time to do it, but coming up with a line of argument and a plan was impossible - my argument didn't really have a single coherent line...

Chaucer was supposed to be my best one but I forgot to mention the actual bit about him going blind - aka the whole question, my garden bit was ok and I knew what I wanted to say it just didn't come out eloquently enough!
That's one thing I find really hard about English - it all comes down to performance on the day. If you don't get it down well, precisely, with the right AO's and without droning on, it can severely effect your marks - and you barely have any thinking time once you start writing!

The change in fortune I went on about how he brings about his own downfall but I didn't bloody mention about his blindness aka the main thing!! Gah - just wish I had had more time :frown:

I also kinda mixed up the merchant addressing fortune with him addressing Damyan without meaning to, basically I knew what I wanted to say but it just didn't materialise properly in 35 mins haha
Yeah that's exactly it, its so hard to get it down on paper in 35 minutes. Honestly I just don't think that that is long enough to write a good essay.

Also, what other subjects do you do if you don't mind me asking?
Philosophy (AQA), Latin (OCR) and French (AQA) for AS. Yourself?
Original post by Martins1
I have Gatsby (which I love) and Jerusalem on Wednesday. Does anyone do Jerusalem?? Feel like noone does...

Haha thanks, hopefully. Unfortunately, "what a noble question was o'erthrown" in the form of Ophelia - i would have loved something like:

"Ophelia caused her own death". Do you agree?
or "Ophelia is used as a tool and stifled through the play" Do you agree?

Or something on Laertes:
"Laertes is the character the most different to Hamlet" Do you agree?
or "Laertes is a bad person." Do you agree?
or "Laertes completely fails to exact revenge." Do you agree?
Anything about Laertes tbh.

I am so glad Gertrude came up last year, I really didn't think she was a good character. I just don't find her very convincing, and I don't think hamlet's obsession with her adds anything to the plot at all - I just couldn't really grasp her, so I'm glad she didn't come up.

Yesyesyes I agree. Ages ago I planned an essay sort of like "Ophelia is weak/a victim" and I would have loved something like that, because of course you can contrast it with how she speaks to Laertes in scene three and Hamlet at some point... I'm not really a fan of Laertes though if I'm honest, but I do agree about Gertrude, I had that question for my mock and I struggled a bit
Lol, have i just found someone to connect with!!! TWINNING. If you want ill send you some notes?

I'm doing the same! Out of all four bloody chamber is my weakest if I'm honest, i really hope gender comes up though. And for streetcar relationships would be hella good!
Lol, have i just found someone to connect with!!! TWINNING. If you want ill send you some notes?

Haha yaassss. And that'd be really helpful if it's no trouble please? Thank you! (:
Haha yaassss. And that'd be really helpful if it's no trouble please? Thank you! (:

hiya, do you want to private message your email to me, it wont allow me to attach the doc here for some reason. (sorry for the late)
hiya, do you want to private message your email to me, it wont allow me to attach the doc here for some reason. (sorry for the late)

okay will do thanks again (:
i did chaucer and hamlet - chaucer was defo easier though, probanly because that extract is my teachers fave one! wicket and clicket
Original post by FP1234
i did chaucer and hamlet - chaucer was defo easier though, probanly because that extract is my teachers fave one! wicket and clicket

Well goodbye to your AS in English. Why didn't you do Gatsby? It was so easy! If that wasn't 100 UMS I don't know what is!
lol, gatsby and streetcar are tomorrow, we had to do four texts
Original post by FP1234
lol, gatsby and streetcar are tomorrow, we had to do four texts

I'm in Bangladesh - the time zones are different
okay will do thanks again (:

Heyyyy, how was your exam today? I thought that the Street Car question was really good however the Bloody Chamber one was awful!!!
How did everyone find the exam today?
Original post by Melville140

Bloody chamber ruined any chance of a decent grade
Original post by rebecca0208

Thank God, i thought it was just me... ive never wrote so much cr*p in my life
Original post by rebecca0208

what was the question you did? or the other questions? :smile:
Original post by Melville140

Streetcar I'm blessed - but I found specific context quite hard for Mitch and Stella! And because there was two of them I felt like I couldn't go into detail on both!

Gatsby praise lord JESUS for that question - may have clawed back my mess of a Chaucer essay

Fingers crossed - I deffo felt better about that exam !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending