The Student Room Group

does listening to music help you study or does it slow your progress?

there have been studies that have been made, but hasn't answered this question since the results have always seemed to be 50-50
I find solid music helpful but being in a noisey place is pretty distracting
I find instrumental music helps me, but I think pop songs would hinder me.
If I am doing something that requires reading then I find lyrics very distracting. But if I am doing something creative lyrics don't bother me.
Erik Satie Gymnopédie No. 1 - better than adderall.
I can listen to classical and that's it. I usually listen to 90's dance/house music but it's way too tempting to just get up and dance...
100% get me distracted. id be dancing to it and singing along
It helps me a lot although I work slightly slower listening to music. It does help me get in the zone and makes revision awesome. With maths and science, the music just engages my mind on a totally different level so it doesn't really distract me at all. In fact if I was listening to music in an exam I would probably do better as I would be more relaxed. People would look at me strangely when I started air drumming or guitaring or humming a riff though >_<
I tend to listen to progressive rock music with very complex rhythms and sounds. It's very varied so my mind doesn't get bored and I can basically totally tune it out and focus on a problem.
[video="youtube;tLLQX1kJzZg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLQX1kJzZg[/video]
This song is soo dope. The lyrics don't really distract me too much honestly.
Anything boring is more tolerable when I've got some tunes on.
I cant concentrate unless I'm listening to music :thumbsup:

Needs to be upbeat tho, classical music doesn't work for me whatsoever :redface:
Most of the time I study I can't really put my headphones in as don't focus especially with physics and maths. But I like going near the music rooms in the library because I enjoy listening to people playing piano.
I always used to find that if i was listening to songs that i liked, then it would put me off and id just end up singing along. If it was songs that i didnt like then it would just irritate me.
Reply 14
Original post by Studystix
there have been studies that have been made, but hasn't answered this question since the results have always seemed to be 50-50

During general studying or similar I don't mind quiet music in the background ( Not lyrics though, study music). But if I'm revising I prefer no music and like doing it in similar conditions to that of the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending