The Student Room Group

DBS check for an adult nursing course - help!

Hi, I've been accepted on an adult nursing course in March which I'm hoping to be able to start but I'm worried about dbs checks. I got a volunteer teaching job about 10 weeks ago, teaching students aged 16-18 and I had to complete an enhanced dbs check form. It's been over 10 weeks now and the application is still at stage 4 - records held by police. I spoke to dbs and they say it's being held up by the Metropolitan Police. Without going into it, I was arrested a year or so ago in London for a potentially serious incident but I wasn't charged or convicted because I was innocent.

I was told by the dbs that the police had sent the form to them with a query, they'd answered it and it was sent back to the police. A dbs check is supposed to take a maximum of 60 days. However, after speaking to the dbs and going on their website, they apologise for delays and blame them on the metropolitan police (I believe this) and say applications can take up to 18 weeks to be completed. This is obviously dreadful. My case might take even longer because I've read that when the form is sent to the dbs with a query, the time limit starts again!

I'm worried about how this might affect my nursing course, either in starting it, during it, or after it when I want to get a job. I've signed up to the update service which is supposed to speed things up if the next employer is in the same area of work and wants to check my status. The dbs told me that the university will want to start a new check, is this true? The update service only lasts for 12 months after the certificate's issued. What type is the nursing dbs check, is it standard, enhanced, or the enhanced with list check?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by StudentMV
Hi, I've been accepted on an adult nursing course in March which I'm hoping to be able to start but I'm worried about dbs checks. I got a volunteer teaching job about 10 weeks ago, teaching students aged 16-18 and I had to complete an enhanced dbs check form. It's been over 10 weeks now and the application is still at stage 4 - records held by police. I spoke to dbs and they say it's being held up by the Metropolitan Police. Without going into it, I was arrested a year or so ago in London for a potentially serious incident but I wasn't charged or convicted because I was innocent.

I was told by the dbs that the police had sent the form to them with a query, they'd answered it and it was sent back to the police. A dbs check is supposed to take a maximum of 60 days. However, after speaking to the dbs and going on their website, they apologise for delays and blame them on the metropolitan police (I believe this) and say applications can take up to 18 weeks to be completed. This is obviously dreadful. My case might take even longer because I've read that when the form is sent to the dbs with a query, the time limit starts again!

I'm worried about how this might affect my nursing course, either in starting it, during it, or after it when I want to get a job. I've signed up to the update service which is supposed to speed things up if the next employer is in the same area of work and wants to check my status. The dbs told me that the university will want to start a new check, is this true? The update service only lasts for 12 months after the certificate's issued. What type is the nursing dbs check, is it standard, enhanced, or the enhanced with list check?

Your nursing DBS will be Enhanced with List Check. They will start a new check from scratch, as will all employers. Your nursing course will ask you to disclose any cautions or convictions as part of its monitoring process prior to them sending off your DBS.

Even if you were not charged or convicted, you may have received a caution or warning. This does happen to people without them realising, so it may be worth contacting the police to clarify what happened as a result of the incident, and ask what is reflected on their records (there is a charge of around £10 for this). An Enhanced DBS may show information held on police records which is not related to a conviction, if they believe it is relevant to your DBS. Whether additional information is disclosed is at the discretion of the police.

Realistically, you will need to wait and see whether anything shows up on your DBS. Depending whether it shows up or not will have different consequences for you. One possibility with regards to your nursing course is that you would have to undergo Fitness to Practice protocol with the view that this may show up on your DBS, if it takes a while to come back. If in any doubt, universities deal with situations like this as though you do have a conviction. This would basically mean a meeting with senior uni staff to discuss the incident fully, what you have learnt from it etc. and they would then write a report with their decision about whether you are a suitable candidate for continuing on the course, and for NMC registration.

If you need any further help don't hesitate to let me know.
Reply 2
Thank you very much.
Original post by Charlotte49
Your nursing DBS will be Enhanced with List Check. They will start a new check from scratch, as will all employers. Your nursing course will ask you to disclose any cautions or convictions as part of its monitoring process prior to them sending off your DBS.

Even if you were not charged or convicted, you may have received a caution or warning. This does happen to people without them realising, so it may be worth contacting the police to clarify what happened as a result of the incident, and ask what is reflected on their records (there is a charge of around £10 for this). An Enhanced DBS may show information held on police records which is not related to a conviction, if they believe it is relevant to your DBS. Whether additional information is disclosed is at the discretion of the police.

Realistically, you will need to wait and see whether anything shows up on your DBS. Depending whether it shows up or not will have different consequences for you. One possibility with regards to your nursing course is that you would have to undergo Fitness to Practice protocol with the view that this may show up on your DBS, if it takes a while to come back. If in any doubt, universities deal with situations like this as though you do have a conviction. This would basically mean a meeting with senior uni staff to discuss the incident fully, what you have learnt from it etc. and they would then write a report with their decision about whether you are a suitable candidate for continuing on the course, and for NMC registration.

If you need any further help don't hesitate to let me know.

Hi, @Charlotte49 Did you start your nursing course, in total how long did it take for your DBS certificate to be issued to you?
Original post by nelfran29
Hi, @Charlotte49 Did you start your nursing course, in total how long did it take for your DBS certificate to be issued to you?

It can take up to 3 months but generally around 4 weeks is the usual wait time. Of course, this just depends how many applications are submitted at that time. It really just depends how long it takes for it to pass each stage. The final stage is review by your local police force, which can often take a long time.
It can take up to 3 months but generally around 4 weeks is the usual wait time. Of course, this just depends how many applications are submitted at that time. It really just depends how long it takes for it to pass each stage. The final stage is review by your local police force, which can often take a long time.

Hi @Charlotte49 Many thanks for replying, I've only just sent mine off so I better get ready for that long wait, I've also applied for another DBS certificate through my current employer, hope it doesn't affect the wait time :frown:

Also, 3 months is a long time, It's a good thing I don't start placement for another 6-7 months :smile:

When did you submit your ID documents to your university to be verified?
Original post by nelfran29
Hi @Charlotte49 Many thanks for replying, I've only just sent mine off so I better get ready for that long wait, I've also applied for another DBS certificate through my current employer, hope it doesn't affect the wait time :frown:

Also, 3 months is a long time, It's a good thing I don't start placement for another 6-7 months :smile:

When did you submit your ID documents to your university to be verified?

The potentially long wait is why universities like to get these done in good time.

It shouldn't make any difference to the timescale if you have sent more than one.

In all honesty, I don't remember, sorry. I started university in 2013.
The potentially long wait is why universities like to get these done in good time.

It shouldn't make any difference to the timescale if you have sent more than one.

In all honesty, I don't remember, sorry. I started university in 2013.

Thanks so much anyway, just realised this is an old thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending