The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Biology B1 B2 B3 Unofficial Markscheme 24th May 2017

Will be update when answers are submitted. Please add any corrections and answer in comments.

B1

1 - EAR question

a) 0.6*50 = 30

b)*1.5=15g. 30g/15g= 50%

2 - 6 Mark question on plant hormones.

a) Concentration = 28.

3 - Scientific fact or opinion

a) Opinion

b) Fact

4 - The Eye

B2

What is the name given to the classification system used by the ancient greeks? - Artificial classification

Who is right? Tom or Sam Sam is right

Gap fill question - mutations, recessive/different and heterozygous/carriers

Mistakes - It's the fact that the student stated that the enzyme was the key and the substrate had an active site, when in reality the substrate was the "key" and that thenzyme had the active site not the substrate

The percentage for india was 44.4% and the second part for that question was India too, as it had the lowest percentage of nitrogen gas fixed by the plants suggesting that there was therefore the least amount of nitrogen fixing bacteria and therefore the least amount of peas and beans as they contain nitrogen fixing bacteria in the root nodules that convert nitrogen gas into nitrogen compounds.

B3

Disadvantages of the strawberries being clones? - the lack of genetic variation means that if the plants become exposed to disease or to changes in environmental conditions

Why did the company want people to know that they weren't genetically modified?

Metabolic rate uses oxygen consumption because oxygen is a reactant in respiration (which produces energy) so if cells are using more oxygen, they are requiring more energy so must have a higher metabolic rate.

They use per gram because larger animals will require more energy as they have more cells, require more energy to move heavier bodies etc.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
3- the first was an opinion - the second was a fact
Reply 2
Original post by booty156
Will be update when answers are submitted. Please add any corrections and answer in comments.

B1

1 - EAR question
a) 0.6*50 = 30
b)*1.5=15g. 30g/15g= 50%

2 - 6 Mark question on plant hormones.
a) Concentration = 28.

3 - Scientific fact or opinion
a) Opinion
b) Fact

4 -

Hey could you finish it off, please?
If you can.
Sorry, I just can't stop feeling how much I failed that exam :-( :frown:

Spoiler

Original post by 12115
Hey could you finish it off, please?
If you can.
Sorry, I just can't stop feeling how much I failed that exam :-( :frown:

Spoiler

Literally me :frown: Please give me reassurance by someone helping to complete the unofficial markscheme!
Reply 4
Hey sorry, just need to be remind of the questions. Does anyone know what is questions 4, 5 and 6?
Hey sorry, just need to be remind of the questions. Does anyone know what is questions 4, 5 and 6?

I think 5 was the eye.

Spoiler

There was a question on vaccination and what's inside it or something then whats a placebo and why its done, then the eye i think, marking it with an x the part that controls the amount of light,
What did people get for the fill in the gap questions?
Reply 8
There were 6 mark questions about stems being put in plant hormones which initially really confused me. The other one was about carbon dioxide levels and survival rates of a hare and the last one was about protein synthesis
BTW- that's by Stephanie
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kchung9640

I put mutations, recessive and heterozygous
did you do it in that order particularly? because i got mutation, hetrozygous then recessive???
Original post by scorpionfish11
I put mutations, recessive and heterozygous

I put mutations, different, carriers.

I remember using recessive and realising it didn't make sense in the sentence I think.
Reply 12
what was the answer to question 4 on b1
Original post by Pocalyptix
I put mutations, different, carriers.

I remember using recessive and realising it didn't make sense in the sentence I think.

same
Original post by shelleyyyhh
did you do it in that order particularly? because i got mutation, hetrozygous then recessive???

No I can't remember the order, it could well have been your order
Reply 15
Was question 4 the labeling the eye?
Reply 16
Was question 4 about the virus thing?
And 5 was the eye?
Was question 4 the labeling the eye?

Yeah I think so
Original post by kchung9640

I put mutation, different, and monohybrid cross.
Reply 19
for B2. Insulin is a hormone but that isn't a mistake as it is a hormonal protien. Also for the mistake of the second statement of B2 It's the fact that the student stated that the enzyme was the key and the substrate had an active site, when in reality the substrate was the "key" and that thenzyme had the active site not the substrate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending