The Student Room Group

Why on earth would you not vote labour?

Scroll to see replies

Because as much as they say "the numbers work out" they really don't. Where is all this extra coming from? Hardly anyone earns over 80K that's not enough to pay for it all. You'd have to be a fool to believe all of those promises will come true. People want security and flawed banking manifesto doesn't really scream "economic security".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by clumsyorange
Are you going to back up your statement, or...?

Also, I'd rather a terrible leader at the head of our country than a terrible person.

:toofunny:
Original post by Cupholder
Never attacked your post on the premise that it was telling people which way to vote. I was pointing out that the IRA statement was 1 - 1 based on the fact that both parties are guilty of fraternising with them.

The two party system is inherently flawed, it's failed the entire country democratically in the sense that one of the primary reasons individuals vote is to 'keep the other guy out of power'.

Good effort by yourself and the leftwing media but there is a massive difference.

https://www.thecanary.co/2017/05/21/ignore-corbyn-supporting-ira-media-forgetting-tory-politician-member/

Gatland’s time in the IRA did not last long. She says that after the Bloody Friday attacks on 21 July 1972, when up to 22 bombs were detonated in Belfast in just over an hour, killing 11 and injuring 130, she realised that her actions were “idealistic and very naive”. She fled to England, under the protection of Special Branch and immunity from prosecution. It was from here that she eventually ended up a Tory councillor in South London.

Gatland said of her time in the Provisional IRA:

I was very concerned about what was happening to my country and believed joining the IRA was the way to do something about it… It wasn’t something I wanted to be involved in and so I left. I realised violence was not the answer and I now abhor violence.

Whereas Comrade Corby repeatedly refuses to condemn the violence of his IRA heroes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/21/growing-row-jeremy-corbyns-links-ira-refuses-five-times-condemn/

You agree?
Original post by joe cooley
The Labour leader was and is a supporter of a terror organisation that targeted British people for death.

If this interview is much to go by, then no - he didn't support the IRA, he condemned all sides. The 'support', if anything, was more a lack of support for Britain's military approach that wasn't going to work.

Though, I don't know for certain this source is unbiased, so I grant I can't vouch for it.
https://labourlist.org/2017/05/what-did-corbyn-actually-say-about-the-ira/

SR: So can you condemn unequivocally the IRA?
JEREMY CORBYN: Look, bombing is wrong, of course all bombing is wrong, of course I condemn it.
SR: You are condemning all bombing but can you condemn the IRA without equating it to …?
JEREMY CORBYN: No, I think what you have to say is all bombing has to be condemned and you have to bring about a peace process. Listen
SR: But do you condemn the IRA?
JEREMY CORBYN: Wait a minute, can you allow me to finish please? In the 1980s Britain was looking for a military solution in Ireland: it clearly was never going to work, ask anyone in the British Army at that time. Therefore you have to seek a peace process. You condemn the violence of those that laid bombs that killed large numbers of innocent people and I do.
SR: But can you condemn the IRA, who were responsible for
JEREMY CORBYN: I just condemned all those that do bombing, all those on both sides.

You agree?

Corbyn's response is a typical pacifist's response. I am not surprised that The Torygraph took it entirely out of context of the interview, capturing it as some kind of "highlight" of Corbyn's supposed ineptitude.

Gatland made a conscious decision to join the IRA, and if you watch Ken Loach's The Wind That Shakes the Barley, there's an oath you have to take to join; this means that she had a mindset that once sympathised with a terrorist organisation; a complete change of such mindset is highly unlikely.

EDIT: Further to this, Britain's military approach was made by a select few bureaucrats at the top of Heath's cabinet, it was not taken to the polls and nor was it consulted by the UN. Therefore, it was condemned by people on all sides, including Corbyn.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh yeah, I remember that pdf Labour released a week ago with the 20 broken promises of the Tories, sourced and everything. Can't find it anymore because all the media focus on the negative things of Labour and positive things about May.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/20-broken-being-promises-tories-10371384
Original post by Lmacwilliam
Because as much as they say "the numbers work out" they really don't. Where is all this extra coming from? Hardly anyone earns over 80K that's not enough to pay for it all. You'd have to be a fool to believe all of those promises will come true. People want security and flawed banking manifesto doesn't really scream "economic security".

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least labour has a dam manifesto.
Reply 27
because he expects people who earn more than minimum wage to support the dead weight of society
Original post by Logic4Life
At least labour has a dam manifesto.

So the only thing going in labours favour is having a manifesto full of big lies? Okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lmacwilliam
So the only thing going in labours favour is having a manifesto full of big lies? Okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd rather have half the things labour is offering instead of nothing. Your acting like May is hasn't told her fair share of lies.
I can understand the workshy, white collar public sector workers, immigrants and wealthy middle classes voting Labour but any British working class man or woman that votes Labour is akin to a turkey voting for Christmas.
Original post by Cupholder
Spotted the Daily Mail reader

There a quite a few, it is the most widely read newspaper website on the planet.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2012/jan/25/dailymail-internet
Reply 32
I can understand the workshy, white collar public sector workers, immigrants and wealthy middle classes voting Labour but any British working class man or woman that votes Labour is akin to a turkey voting for Christmas.

Are labour not all about taxing "high earners" and giving better services to the "Working people"

What was his saying.. oh yea "for the many not the few"
But his definition of "few" is anyone who earns more than min wage.

If i were to vote labour i would be kissing my future high paying law career good night
Reply 33
Original post by tbeyan
I'm black and I would never, ever vote Tory simply because it's a racist party. It's a shame people wouldn't do the simply because since they're not of colour, but like you said, this world is full of selfishness and people would only care if it effects them.
And I think people vote Tory because 1. they agree with racism. and 2. They're rich. or 3. They want to think they're in that upper class status when they're not. They are instead on a 30k salary taking a DLR to canary wharf at 6am.

who Ukiping (a pun on who you kidding)
Reply 34
I'm black and I would never, ever vote Tory simply because it's a racist party. It's a shame people wouldn't do the same simply because they're not of colour, but like you said, this world is full of selfishness and people would only care if it effects them.
And I think people vote Tory because 1. they agree with racism. and 2. They're rich. or 3. They want to think they're in that upper class status when they're not. They are instead on a 30k salary taking a DLR to canary wharf at 6am.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Earl-S
who Ukiping (a pun on who you kidding)

haha
Original post by tbeyan
I'm black and I would never, ever vote Tory simply because it's a racist party. It's a shame people wouldn't do the same simply because since they're not of colour, but like you said, this world is full of selfishness and people would only care if it effects them.

Could you provide a few examples of the Tory party's racism please?
Reply 37
Could you provide a few examples of the Tory party's racism please?

Here's an article listing 27 times. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/27-times-tory-party-racism-7904018

So, if i compile a list of Labour's anti-semitic problems that means the Labour party are racist too.

Yes?
Original post by Max12121
How deluded does someone have to be to think that all the policies will only cost £80/90 billion i mean come on seriously.............

Labours communist policies of nationalisation of everything and wage caps as well as continuing rising of the national minimum wage(i mean seriously how much do you want to pay somebody for doing a minimum skilled job) will cripple the Uk economy by discouraging any sort of growth and they will cause mass job losses.

Labours policies are not feasible in the slightest and they are only saying what everyone wants to hear.

The real question is Why in the hell would anyone vote Labour?

Nationalisation of key infrastructure is not necessarily a communist policy at all - it's actually quite common in the developed world. None of Labour's policies are "communist", you and everyone else who describes them as such need to stop abusing that word. It's as stupid as calling right wing parties "fascist" simply because they want to leave the EU and restrict immigration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending